Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ I wish someone made game like NWN 1 - action RPG slash crpg, fuck old school BG copycats

AliceAlcina

Learned
Potential game:

Action game, with pause, fuck turn based big time
Action game's camera, 3D feel view
deep costumization both starting and deep into the game using feats and skills and class
fuck classless system, class based with types within the class - go into victory using you abilities
basic party - number of companion is relatively non important
portraits - yesss
being able to play as girl is also great chance

J1M

Arcane
Potential game:

Action game, with pause, fuck turn based big time
Action game's camera, 3D feel view
deep costumization both starting and deep into the game using feats and skills and class
fuck classless system, class based with types within the class - go into victory using you abilities
basic party - number of companion is relatively non important
portraits - yesss
being able to play as girl is also great chance
It's called Dark Alliance. Haven't played it myself.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Yes, we need more games similar to the original Neverwinter Nights, just without the on-line multiplayer aspect.

214631-neverwinter-nights-dos-front-cover.jpg
214632-neverwinter-nights-dos-back-cover.jpg

Beggar

Cipher
Only modern Tomb Raider and Batman fans use phrase "we need more".

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wouldn't mind an NWN-style game.
As long as the camera is not the same kind of nightmarish horror, it doesn't reproduce that terrible NWN graphics style with everything looking as if it was covered in shoe polish and it has a UI that is not ugly.

Of course, I'd only play it and then wish it was turn-based most of the time...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
>NWN
>action

If you consider combat that lasts ten minutes for a single encounter to be "action", then yeah, I guess you could call NWN an "action" RPG.

I played a lot of trash games in my time, but NWN has to have one of the shittiest and slowest combat systems of them all. Literally unplayable unless you use Cheat Engine's speedhack at 10x speed.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've started a playthrough (though i most likely wont finish it but eh) on my iMac after playing around with Wineskin (a tool that allows creating Wine-based wrappers to make Windows applications -mainly games- look as if they're Mac applications) and this is something i've been thinking about too. I always liked NWN1's modularity, probably stemming from its focus on modding tools, though there are some things i'd do differently:
  • "Real" realtime with pause - ie. not based on rounds, just plain old realtime you can just pause. Obviously this means a different combat system.
  • Being able to switch between the characters in your party
  • Dragon Age Origins-like scripting for companions (though i wouldn't bother with "unlocking" slots via character progression, that always felt too arbitrary and something they did because they ran out of ideas for character skills). I wish other games with companions adopted something similar.
  • ...do something about resting.
And that's about it, at least as far as the game bits go (from a UX perspective i'd also make the UI scalable and the windows moveable/resizable but in general i find NWN1 to have among the better UIs in PC games). Ah yeah, also i'd just stick with the single player stuff, i was never into multiplayer games.

There are a few things i'm not sure about, e.g. spell memorization (or preparation, whatever) isn't something i particularly enjoy (especially how it is attached to resting). Though it might not be much of an issue with better party support (e.g. i found it ok in Baldur's Gate).

AliceAlcina

Learned
When I see ratings my original post got, I just want to laugh... especially when I look at sheeple emoticon. How out of your mind can you guys be to call topic entry "sheeple"?

Shadenuat

Arcane
well unless u pay it's either dog or sheep it's not a big selection. I usually pick dog because it's animated

edit rite there is also bird but they're not animals. not real cute ones anyway

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom