Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
These trolls are in another room. Or maybe something bugged about that tomb or maybe you didn't have line of sight or maybe you missed your attack roll.

Destroy Undead is a Ray. It requires a touch attack.
I mean the cleric ability to damage undead around him. Turn Undead, I'm not sure if it's called the same here.

AoE, centered on the caster. Casted multiple times by two clerics. They were face to face with the undead, with only a doorstep between them. The opening was wide enough to fit at least 4 people. It had no effect, no rolls were made by the undead. I had to run in behind them through attacks of opportunity to damage them.

Did this fireball damage enemies in multiple chambers? I wonder if the blast can go through openings in walls. It's possible my situation was a bug, perhaps the game was acting like the passage was still closed.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
These trolls are in another room. Or maybe something bugged about that tomb or maybe you didn't have line of sight or maybe you missed your attack roll.

Destroy Undead is a Ray. It requires a touch attack.
I mean the cleric ability to damage undead around him. Turn Undead, I'm not sure if it's called the same here.

AoE, centered on the caster. Casted multiple times by two clerics. They were face to face with the undead, with only a doorstep between them. The opening was wide enough to fit at least 4 people. It had no effect, no rolls were made by the undead. I had to run in behind them through attacks of opportunity to damage them.

Did this fireball damage enemies in multiple chambers? I wonder if the blast can go through openings in walls. It's possible my situation was a bug, perhaps the game was acting like the passage was still closed.
Definitely a bug, and one I never encountered when I last played the game.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

It's called Channel Energy, but can be confusing for new players. The Gold one heals your team, the Teal one damages Undead. Since those are the first Undead you've likely encountered it's possible you haven't figured that out yet. I didn't even use the ability my first time and was confused about it for a long time.

Those Undead are meant to be challenging, they're also entirely optional and don't give much EXP. Loot's ok. If you're losing your Bard for that second Cleric that could make the game more difficult.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

It's called Channel Energy, but can be confusing for new players. The Gold one heals your team, the Teal one damages Undead. Since those are the first Undead you've likely encountered it's possible you haven't figured that out yet. I didn't even use the ability my first time and was confused about it for a long time.
Actually, no. If it's Gold, it either heals the living or it hurts the dead. You'd be channeling Positive Energy. If it's green, that means you're channeling Negative Energy, which will hurt living people or it heals the undead. I'm PRETTY sure that you'll have two Golds or two Greens unless you're Harrim. So.. If you're going Negative Channeling (or if you have both from being Neutral and whatever Feat) pick up Selective Channeling. Nothing like a +2d6 negative energy channeling hat and then spamming negative channeling with Jaethal. And then raising the ones you killed so they distract them from you.

TBH Jvegi Pulling them one by one is inefficient. I pulled all of them with one character. Not because I could kill them, but because it got them away from the Stag Lord, and my team was hiding beside the building by the Stag Lord. Again, in a fight, you think only about the fight and how to beat the fight, not about the macro level roleplaying or what not. I wiped out those stragglers after I killed the Staglord.

hell bovine

Arcane
Pretty much no mechanically advantage to being evil as well.
Should you need one? The 'evil companions are powerful and all but being evil is not really possible' thing Baldurs Gate did is unnecessary here. You can be a Goodly ruler or an Evil tyrant. Or something in between with its own personality. You can gloat at your enemies, reap vengeance upon rival states and work your subjects dry. Or you can proclaim virtues of rule, be friendly towards other countries and tax people reasonably. Story paths should be valid in their own right. No carrots needed for evil characters since the stick is busy hitting peasants all night.
You might not remember the early days of kingdom management, when kingdoms could easily collapse by losing stability, peasants would get out the pitchforks shouting "the Romans never did anything for us!" (nevermind that invasion of monsters you've just defended them from) and riots would take over your capital. But a chaotic neutral baron could proudly proclaim "no taxes!" and suddenly everyone was happy, and your kingdom was saved.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Those Undead are meant to be challenging, they're also entirely optional and don't give much EXP. Loot's ok. If you're losing your Bard for that second Cleric that could make the game more difficult.
Listen fucko. I don't know which one it was, but it was dealing damage when I was inside the room, and it wasn't when I was outside.

I have figured it out. How about you figure out how to not be such an obtuse boring dick.

Last edited:
At the Staglord Fortress, I typically have 2 characters spamming Daze to prevent enemies from raising them alarm. I can think of 4 encounters prior to the boss fight where enemies will run to the alarm after X time or Y damage/losses. Chasing them is almost a guarantee to trigger another encounter. Managing the alarm is my #1 challenge on that map. Pulling individual enemies to the gates sounds more like a myth. I would need to see it demonstrated to believe it.

Parabalus

Arcane
Should you need one? The 'evil companions are powerful and all but being evil is not really possible' thing Baldurs Gate did is unnecessary here. You can be a Goodly ruler or an Evil tyrant. Or something in between with its own personality. You can gloat at your enemies, reap vengeance upon rival states and work your subjects dry. Or you can proclaim virtues of rule, be friendly towards other countries and tax people reasonably. Story paths should be valid in their own right. No carrots needed for evil characters since the stick is busy hitting peasants all night.
You might not remember the early days of kingdom management, when kingdoms could easily collapse by losing stability, peasants would get out the pitchforks shouting "the Romans never did anything for us!" (nevermind that invasion of monsters you've just defended them from) and riots would take over your capital. But a chaotic neutral baron could proudly proclaim "no taxes!" and suddenly everyone was happy, and your kingdom was saved.

But those aren't even locked behind [Requires CN].

Desiderius

Patron

The Poz = libertarianism gone wild. Checks out.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
At the Staglord Fortress, I typically have 2 characters spamming Daze to prevent enemies from raising them alarm. I can think of 4 encounters prior to the boss fight where enemies will run to the alarm after X time or Y damage/losses. Chasing them is almost a guarantee to trigger another encounter. Managing the alarm is my #1 challenge on that map. Pulling individual enemies to the gates sounds more like a myth. I would need to see it demonstrated to believe it.
Well I kinda tripped the alarm on the way in, so I had already killed everybody in the front of the camp. I didn't "pull" the patsies next to the Staglord, I tricked them into following me. Which IIRC I did actually have to do a little work to "aggro" them and make sure they didn't go back. Thankfully, I was using a Monster Inquisitor so I just Summoned Wolves BEHIND me and then went towards the gate. Either they ran at the wolves, the wolves ran at them, or they ran to me.

That was the job for ONE of my characters. Now, if he (Harrim) died, then they still would've been too far away to protect the Staglord from my other 5 teammates.

Not sure if I was clear but I didn't pull individuals to the gate. I had the mob chase Harrim to the gate while everybody else was by the Staglord. The minions didn't matter to me. They could die, they could kill Harrim, but that kept them busy.

Got a little annoying actually because my Wolves would run to them while still too close to the Staglord. Pretty sure I let them hit Harrim a few times to make sure they chased him.

The key to tactics is knowing how to sacrifice pieces haha

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
So here is how I set up at first... and assassinated the Stag Lord. (Hint: invis potions. Had him flanked before I started the battle lmao) This is immediately after assassination.

upload_2021-3-17_17-1-38.jpeg

But then still got that mob down there. So. Harrim. Go.

upload_2021-3-17_17-1-54.jpeg

Far enough away, main team killed the few that found me by the stairs. Actually I had a few party members on the stairs but blocked from vision, so that helped them go after the guy on the ground.

upload_2021-3-17_17-2-2.jpeg

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
The fuck? You can rotate the camera?
Yeah. I obsessively look for mods for about half a week before I actually play :lol:

ANYWAYS I am sorry for polluting the other thread so I'll pollute here... with Pathfinder/Pathfinder-Kingmaker builds that are GENERAL - and many people use - instead of being nichey:

1. Reach cleric. The guy who came up with idea thought.. clerics can melee but how can you melee and cast in the same turn? His solution: Cast on your turn, smack them with AoOs on their turn with your reach weapon. There's your real cleric gish. Goddamn creative and works pretty damn well... granted you have to dump Cha and Int and probably tone down Con and Wis.

2. Alchemist bomber on crack: Fast Bombs + TWF/ITFW/GTFW.

3. If you can, use Dirty Fighting instead of Combat Expertise as prereqs for later feats. Sadly you'll need it for Gang Up and Dirty Trick. Also, you don't need Agile Maneuvers for Trips or Disarms because those can rely on Weapon Finesse. But Dirty Trick doesn't, so you'll need that or the halfling Intrepid trait (just get yourself adopted). Well, you can also get Dirty Trick as a Rogue talent without prereqs but... there are other also good competitors for those Talents. Decisions, decisions.

4. Just made Regongar a Skald last night (never played one before, and I'm already Magus) and I almost shat myself reading that the Skald Rage Song also gives Rage Powers to your party.

5. I realized the tradeoff of Spellstrike is that you're trading casting touch AC in return for hitting them with a combined attack (both spell and strike) against "regular AC." And I think that if you also are doing Spell Combat, you are getting another hit in (cost of -2 on the attack roll of course).

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Fast Bombs is all you need. Or not, I like just one per round in any case.

Bombs aren’t really a weapon.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I dunno, I just saw a build that assumed it works.

But they are thrown splash weapons actually. Thus the "Throw Anything" feat.

Desiderius

Patron
Making DD good (better than the alternatives):

Sorc base: no, just nuke shit

Slow spell base: no just get your class benefits, wastes DD fast spell progression

Martial base with Sorc splash: no just go EK

Scaled Fist Monk base with Dragon Style to double STR-bonus: DD tacks on fast spell progression and Dragon Form

Let’s do this.

^ Top Reply

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Making DD good (better than the alternatives):

Sorc base: no, just nuke shit

Slow spell base: no just get your class benefits, wastes DD fast spell progression

Martial base with Sorc splash: no just go EK

Scaled Fist Monk base with Dragon Style to double STR-bonus: DD tacks on fast spell progression and Dragon Form

Let’s do this.
Wow, good call on the Scaled Fist DD.

How about Bloodrager?

Efe

Erudite
what is DD fast spell progression? aren't you losing 1 level of progression every 4 levels starting with 1?

Desiderius

Patron
There are ways around that in CotW. If you take a slow base class it still skips the levels but it’s slow on top of that.

I’m looking at maybe just Personal buff spells supplemented by the free spell-like but I like getting up to the Fear, and base Sorc does but slow class doesn’t.

So Monk4/Sorc1/DD10 gets you to Fear + another lvl 4 spell. You can take Prestigious Spellcaster if you like to fill in blank levels.

Filling out with Monk gets you to Deadly Juggernaut lols - given Dragon Pathing will probably have to get Abundant Step instead.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
There are ways around that in CotW. If you take a slow base class it still skips the levels but it’s slow on top of that.

I’m looking at maybe just Personal buff spells supplemented by the free spell-like but I like getting up to the Fear, and base Sorc does but slow class doesn’t.

So Monk4/Sorc1/DD10 gets you to Fear + another lvl 4 spell. You can take Prestigious Spellcaster if you like to fill in blank levels.

Filling out with Monk gets you to Deadly Juggernaut lols - given Dragon Pathing will probably have to get Abundant Step instead.
The nice thing about Pathfinder is that these builds are neither OP nor necessary, but they play on par and you just get to have fun with creativity. Not to mention they added things you might want but you'd have to stay in class long enough to grab it. Better pacing. Though a pounce earlier than Level 10 would be nice.

3e omg.. the multclassing.

Efe

Erudite
so what is fast about it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom