Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Dragon quest xi worth as a newcomer to jrpgs?

eli

Learned
Is it good? (The franchise as well)

Falksi

Arcane
As a JRPG fan, I think the DQ series is the most bland, middle of the road, and frankly boring of all the big name JRPGs I've ever played.

I think it's worth playing if you're under 8, and want an introduction to the genre.

But to me there are FAR better modern JRPG's out there. These include:
  • Lost Odyssey
  • Shadow Hearts: Covenant
  • Tales of Berseria
  • Tales of Zesteria
  • Final Fantasy X
  • The Last Remnant
  • Valkyria Chronicles

distant

Learned
If you're new to JRPGs (which I was too pretty recently) all that "it's generic, predictable stuff" might bounce off you like it did for me. It's a well made, challenging (stronger monsters option), wholesome adventure. If you have any nostalgia for that Dragonball aesthetic that helps carry it a bit as well.

Cool game.

Dragon Quest is not bad, but neither is it really excellent. As an intro to the JRPG genre, I'd recommend Chrono Trigger (SNES or DS version) or for a more "sink or swim" approach The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel.

• Tales of Berseria
  • Tales of Zesteria
  • Valkyria Chronicles
Tales of Berseria/Zesteria/Symphonia are all action games and Valkyria Chronicles is a strategy game, which makes me question your choice of any of the other titles on your list that are normal JRPGs.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
It's a very nice game but it lacks one thing I personally love JRPGs for and that's an incredibly verbose story. If that's something you might like I'd recommend something along the lines of Grandia as your first JRPG.

DQ is all about the core gameplay and while there is a story it's not important to overall experience. Also, like the other DQ games it is long.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Dragon Quest is a classic series for a reason. I would suggest (after playing the demo, i mean why not?) to give it a try.

Do not expect it to be a special story it is a well executed hero's journey and fight against evil. Not much nuance to find but i find that endearing in it's simplicity.

The game is otherwise absolutely enjoyable, there is not one issue with the game i could point to (apart from metal slimes) that is unless you find the core mechanics bland.

You could try one of the older games as well to start, there is not much gameplay difference to test the games, i can really recommend dragon quest 5 and there are loads of options to play that one.

Gastrick

Cipher
Dragon Quest is not bad, but neither is it really excellent. As an intro to the JRPG genre, I'd recommend Chrono Trigger (SNES or DS version)
Screenshot-20210310-120207-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Ysaye

Arbiter
I generally agree with the comments about DQXI (and Dragon Quest games in general) being middle of the road it's never bad but it's never (for me at least) exceptionally good.

Generally JRPGs (in the most common usage of that term, so excluding for now Wizardry Clones, From Software games, Action RPGs like Ys or the Mana Series, Tactical RPGs like Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre, Langrisser etc.) live and die on their plot, which normally require a certain amount of railroading the direction of adventure and sacrificing player freedom of choices. Classic games of the genre from the 90s include:
  • Phantasy Star 4
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Grandia
  • Xenogears
  • Suikoden 2
  • Breath of Fire 3
Dragon Quest is one of those series that sacrifices plot with the rails a bit (compared to it's long time rival Final Fantasy) for a little bit more exploration and player freedom. That is, the games above, one of the things you come away with is strong memories of what the plot was about, the characters etc. I almost never come away remembering anything specifically about Dragon Quest games plot wise, whereas those games above (if you like them) you become invested in the plot.

Another thing is that Dragon Quest is also a game steeped in nostalgia - even down to the sounds on completion of battles, music etc. enemies etc. always harks back to older versions. The battle systems never change (unlike for example Final Fantasy); they are incredibly consistent in that regard. This hurts in a way because (for example) the music which is often a staple to get buy into these kinds of games never changes - the battle theme is the same up to and including DQXI (Compare this to say the Legend of Heroes Trails/Kiseki games where everyone remembers the boss battle themes Silver Will, Azure Arbitrator, The Decisive Collision etc.). On the other hand having all of this consistency gives a sense of nostalgia that some times (for example) Final Fantasy games just lack because they can be so different from one game or another.

The other thing I would say is that I have always thought of Dragon Quest as holding on lot more than other JRPGs to it's (Classic) Wizardry roots, particularly where combat is concerned, which is why I find that people that like Wizardry often like this Dragon Quest. But at the end of the day it is not a Wizardry Clone, more the halfway point between a full Wizardry clone and a "true" JRPG.

To that end, I think going for DQXI is a questionable starting point to the JRPG genre unless you really like Wizardry 1-5 - that is not to say that you shouldn't play the game at some point if you like the genre, but I would recommend going with one of those games in bullet points and if you come away liking the genre what you see, then maybe give Dragon Quest 8 a go. If you like that, then play Dragon Quest 11.

Gastrick

Cipher
I'll explain my previous post. I wouldn't recommend Chrono Trigger to anyone because not only is it overrated, but it is a shit game as well. I've tried getting into it around half a dozen times now and dropped it relatively early-on each time. Every aspect of the game is lacking. I'm continually confounded at it's popularity but I believe I've found out why. Whenever someone starts out with the JRPG genre the first few games they play are usually Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII. If they don't like either of those games they declare that they aren't interested in JRPGs and stop playing them. The group that makes up JRPG fans are then those who enjoyed one of the super-popular titles. Someone I know for example disliked both those games and has decided JRPGs all suck. Looking through the archives, JarlFrank had a similar experience even though he said he still enjoyed the game.
There's also that the first type of a game you play usually becomes one of your favorites. That's what amplifies it from a great reputation to an excellent one. There's also nostalgia from playing it as a kid who'll like anything.

P.S. To answer the OP's question, Google is your friend. Just avoid DQ I and V, especially I.

Unwanted

Ataraxia

Unwanted
I generally agree with the comments about DQXI (and Dragon Quest games in general) being middle of the road it's never bad but it's never (for me at least) exceptionally good.

Generally JRPGs (in the most common usage of that term, so excluding for now Wizardry Clones, From Software games, Action RPGs like Ys or the Mana Series, Tactical RPGs like Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre, Langrisser etc.) live and die on their plot, which normally require a certain amount of railroading the direction of adventure and sacrificing player freedom of choices. Classic games of the genre from the 90s include:
  • Phantasy Star 4
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Grandia
  • Xenogears
  • Suikoden 2
  • Breath of Fire 3
Dragon Quest is one of those series that sacrifices plot with the rails a bit (compared to it's long time rival Final Fantasy) for a little bit more exploration and player freedom. That is, the games above, one of the things you come away with is strong memories of what the plot was about, the characters etc. I almost never come away remembering anything specifically about Dragon Quest games plot wise, whereas those games above (if you like them) you become invested in the plot.

Another thing is that Dragon Quest is also a game steeped in nostalgia - even down to the sounds on completion of battles, music etc. enemies etc. always harks back to older versions. The battle systems never change (unlike for example Final Fantasy); they are incredibly consistent in that regard. This hurts in a way because (for example) the music which is often a staple to get buy into these kinds of games never changes - the battle theme is the same up to and including DQXI (Compare this to say the Legend of Heroes Trails/Kiseki games where everyone remembers the boss battle themes Silver Will, Azure Arbitrator, The Decisive Collision etc.). On the other hand having all of this consistency gives a sense of nostalgia that some times (for example) Final Fantasy games just lack because they can be so different from one game or another.

The other thing I would say is that I have always thought of Dragon Quest as holding on lot more than other JRPGs to it's (Classic) Wizardry roots, particularly where combat is concerned, which is why I find that people that like Wizardry often like this Dragon Quest. But at the end of the day it is not a Wizardry Clone, more the halfway point between a full Wizardry clone and a "true" JRPG.

To that end, I think going for DQXI is a questionable starting point to the JRPG genre unless you really like Wizardry 1-5 - that is not to say that you shouldn't play the game at some point if you like the genre, but I would recommend going with one of those games in bullet points and if you come away liking the genre what you see, then maybe give Dragon Quest 8 a go. If you like that, then play Dragon Quest 11.

I think he should start with Dragon Quest III instead of the eight entry, as it better encapsulates the ideas and impressions you've written above.

Would'nt you agree?

I will recommend "Final Fantasy VII".

Firstly, I'm much less experienced than anyone who posted here, but I don't necessarily believe that is a bad thing: you see, back in 2019, I was in the same situation as you and the first JRPG I've ever closed was "Final Fantasy XV" (I know, aaaaai know... I know; Iknow).

I've a way of approaching the medium in which, sometimes, I start games planning on playing just 30 or 45 minutes, hoping to see what it is about (I prefer that than watching videos or reading stuff, I feel that I remember more in the long time) — doing that was my demise with "Europa Universalis IV" and "FFXV", for instance.

I’m telling this story because I approached a lot of the mentioned games with that method, mostly feeling good, but it was “FFXV” which got me hooked (zoomer problems, probably).

That said, three months after (25/11/19) I've finished "Final Fantasy XV" (I really liked it, but I'll not recommend it), I started "Final Fantasy VII" because it is, undoubtedly, the greatest JRPG ever (I'm not saying the best, but I'll get there).

Gameplay-wise, it is balanced: I don't feel there are to many or too little random encounters (starting with "Chrono Trigger" can make you uncomfortable when pursuing other games, starting with "Final Fantasy X" will make you want to smash your head on the wall); the game is not hard (even if it has harsh side bosses, the main bosses are temperate — the final boss could be a little harder, it is kind of easy); you don't have to grind, you progress as your journey goes (that is important for newer gamers: when I played "Final Fantasy X" last year I wanted to destroy my "PlayStation 4"); it has more items and abilities than “Chrono”, which feels more basic; the downsides are the “materia” system (it is really fun, but it is, as far as I'm concerned, not the staple JRPG experience) and “ATB” system (then, again, it is not necessarily bad, but it is a “Final Fantasy” thing.

Story-wise, it is dope: if you know what we know everyone knows, it will not make difference (it did not make for me), but if you don't know what are everyone is supposed to know, stop using internet know and go play before anything happens.

Graphic-wise, it is mediocre: I can relate that, if you are using “Codex”, you can accept things most people would normally dislike — the interface is ugly (but functional); the core of the game is nostalgic (even for those who have not lived the time) and holds well (mini-games and combat animations are ugly as hell, though).

It is not too long, it is not too short; it is not frustrating hard (unlike some sequences on "Final Fantasy IV"); it does not require grind (even though you can grind to face frustrating side sequences); music is really famous (the characters' themes are most famous than many other games' themes); it has better side quests than "Chrono Trigger"...

Overall, if I had to recommend only one JRPG, "Final Fantasy VII" is the one to go.

I will recommend "Final Fantasy VII".

Firstly, I'm much less experienced than anyone who posted here, but I don't necessarily believe that is a bad thing: you see, back in 2019, I was in the same situation as you and the first JRPG I've ever closed was "Final Fantasy XV" (I know, aaaaai know... I know; Iknow).

I've a way of approaching the medium in which, sometimes, I start games planning on playing just 30 or 45 minutes, hoping to see what it is about (I prefer that than watching videos or reading stuff, I feel that I remember more in the long time) — doing that was my demise with "Europa Universalis IV" and "FFXV", for instance.

I’m telling this story because I approached a lot of the mentioned games with that method, mostly feeling good, but it was “FFXV” which got me hooked (zoomer problems, probably).

That said, three months after (25/11/19) I've finished "Final Fantasy XV" (I really liked it, but I'll not recommend it), I started "Final Fantasy VII" because it is, undoubtedly, the greatest JRPG ever (I'm not saying the best, but I'll get there).

Gameplay-wise, it is balanced: I don't feel there are to many or too little random encounters (starting with "Chrono Trigger" can make you uncomfortable when pursuing other games, starting with "Final Fantasy X" will make you want to smash your head on the wall); the game is not hard (even if it has harsh side bosses, the main bosses are temperate — the final boss could be a little harder, it is kind of easy); you don't have to grind, you progress as your journey goes (that is important for newer gamers: when I played "Final Fantasy X" last year I wanted to destroy my "PlayStation 4"); it has more items and abilities than “Chrono”, which feels more basic; the downsides are the “materia” system (it is really fun, but it is, as far as I'm concerned, not the staple JRPG experience) and “ATB” system (then, again, it is not necessarily bad, but it is a “Final Fantasy” thing.

Story-wise, it is dope: if you know what we know everyone knows, it will not make difference (it did not make for me), but if you don't know what are everyone is supposed to know, stop using internet know and go play before anything happens.

Graphic-wise, it is mediocre: I can relate that, if you are using “Codex”, you can accept things most people would normally dislike — the interface is ugly (but functional); the core of the game is nostalgic (even for those who have not lived the time) and holds well (mini-games and combat animations are ugly as hell, though).

It is not too long, it is not too short; it is not frustrating hard (unlike some sequences on "Final Fantasy IV"); it does not require grind (even though you can grind to face frustrating side sequences); music is really famous (the characters' themes are most famous than many other games' themes); it has better side quests than "Chrono Trigger"...

Overall, if I had to recommend only one JRPG, "Final Fantasy VII" is the one to go.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Where are you coming from? If CRPGS you should try out SAGA games where abilities work similar to computer games, if you are a classic dungeon crawler type of guy check out ElMinage series if you don't tolerate anime artstyle (if you can't you will only be able to play a few series only).

hatlock

Novice
DQ XI could definitely be a great entry point, but as many have said before, it depends on what you want.

What DQ XI offers
-Accessible (if also very simple) gameplay
-Detailed visual environments. Many areas feel like walking through a theme park like Disney Land, everything is very detailed, evokes a feeling of place, but you are also corralled to look at certain things and ignore others. The characters are also very detailed visually (but not narratively).
-Some of the major appeal (word play) is somewhat lost in the transition to English. More modern DQ titles are much better localized and use more puns and word play than the older titles.
-Lots of nostalgia buttons for long time players (re-used sound effects, monsters designs, etc.) which may be meaningless to you as a first time player
-To further elaborate on the previous point: insistence on some gameplay conventions just because it's how it has always been done.

There are several JRPGs that are more dense narratively or mechanically.

People have made a lot of great suggestions so far. The only point I'd make is this: don't start with DQ III.
If you usually play CRPGs I'd add the following options: Octopath Traveler or Trails in the Sky may be worth researching more.
Final Fantasy V or Final Fantasy VI could also be good options. FFVII is way more accessible, though. BarĂŁodoDesterro makes some good points.

Machocruz

Arcane
FF7 is a decent starting point, but three character parties are syphilis and you should advance to one with four or more as soon as possible.

Dragon Quest 3 is the first RPG I ever played- rented it time and time again when I was a YOUNGIN.

I'm surprised to hear anyone say not to play it first, it's probably the best in the series IMO.

hatlock

Novice
I'm thinking that DQIII is too simple. It's major draw (creating your own party and reclassing) is done better in Wizardry (admittedly not a JRPG) and DQIX. In DQ IX it is much denser and nuanced.

DQIII does have some other draws like it's world map and sense of globe-trotting adventure. If the OP is comfortable with NES era games, then yes, DQIII is the way to go. It is has also been ported to just about everything, so you can play it on your phone while you are waiting for the dentist and save anytime out of battle. My fear was the DQ3 could be too slow paced and boring to a newbie, but playing it on your phone in idle time is admittedly awesome.

Darvus

Novice
Depends on what you're wanting to get out of it. The majority of Dragon Quest appeal comes from the fact that they're solidly put together and even though they're rarely the best at anything they do they usually do a pretty good job in most areas. DQXI is one of the better ones and a really good rpg overall I think. You could do much worse as an intro to them, but I'll highlight what I think are the game's strongest aspects below.

If you want a solid gameplay experience I think it's a really good choice, a lot better than many jrpgs. Turn on the 'All Enemies Are Super Strong' setting when naming your character when starting a new game. This will give you a pretty challenging game that's not afraid to bust your balls a little while always remaining surmountable. Without this difficulty option the base game is kind of laughably easy for the first half, which lasts for a long time, but if you don't mind it being pretty toothless for a long time then that might be okay. You can also optionally turn on 'Reduced Exp from Easy Fights' if you don't mind the idea of a soft level cap.

Storywise it's more of a mixed bag, it has an okay cast of characters, at least one of which is one of my favorites in any rpg. The first half of the game is the best part in this regard with a lot of fun and semi lighthearted adventuring, assembling your party and getting to know them. It can really fall flat when it tries to get more serious and melodramatic though.

Game is also long as fuck, you'll probably be playing over 100 hours if you take your sweet time with it and explore a lot of optional content, so keep that in mind. If you don't want a huge investment like that you might prefer starting with a SNES or PS1 rpg (if you're not allergic to old). Something more in the 30-50 hour range.

Last edited:

Silentstorm

Learned
It's...fine, it's very much a SNES-era JRPG with 3D graphics for better or worse, very old fashioned combat for the most part, some grind with simplistic crafting, and a generic plot that is quite common for this franchise.

It's the stereotypical SNES-Era JRPG and it's recommended only if you really like this kind of game or have a nostalgia for that, it also doesn't help that most character's aren't exactly developed and the game is quite easy for the most part, the most dickish thing about it being that the True Final Boss gets much easier if you use one particular sword...as an item during the fight and it's the only weapon in the game that doesn't tell you it can be used as an item and you're supposed to figure out because one random NPC in a remote place basically wonders if the sword can be used against the boss, not even necessarily as an item.

Falksi

Arcane
Out of all the JRPG's I've replayed from the 16-bit era so far (which granted, due to their length, isn't many) I'd say Lufia 2 holds up the best. Phantasy Star 4 was OK, it's storytelling still holds up great, but it's such a linear & grindy affair it may do your nut in.

Chrono Trigger would probably make a nice entry point too, because it's really simple and easy. But personally I found it boring as fuck. But that's coming from someone who's played a lot of JRPGs over the years, so finds a lot of the simpler stuff a drag.

Silentstorm

Learned
The generic feeling may also be because a lot of games copied or are inspired by Dragon Quest, and a lot of japanese media too, honestly, it feels like knowing what will be in the game but it being done well is the charm of the series for many, people coming in for Dragon Quest tend to not want something really different, unless you ignore spin-offs.

The influence is still seen these days, Yakuza:Like A Dragon is Sega's other modern world RPG with crazy stuff and the battle and job system are really just Dragon Quest...to a point where characters in-universe talk about the franchise and Sega paid the rights to mention it just to clarify how blatantly Dragon Quest it is.

I found it a lot more fun than DQ 11 though it may be because modern world JRPG's are a lot less common, let alone a 42 years old protagonist whose teammates include a homeless guy that throws food at people to get pigeons to attack them and a kung fu gangster chef who is a more serious version of Jackie Chan and has an attack where he attacks groups of criminals with a ladder.

The difference in mood and setting really made Yakuza more fun to me than DQ 11, i love how Yakuza has Ichiban summoning...by going to his smartphone and calling allies to help him:

Sega, it's either Persona or calling an ex-Yakuza boss to get out of his mansion with the ghosts of dead Yakuza to shoot people for you...yeah, if you don't end up liking DQ 11's generic fantasy setting, maybe Like A Dragon will be more up your speed, it's wacky in a different way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom