Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG's you didn't like both initially and later on

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Better thread:
Which game on this list the WORST?

In the top20, I think New Vegas and Morrowind are shit and dont even belong.

Gothic II
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Dark Souls
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Jagged Alliance 2
The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
Underrail
Gothic

These don't belong to the Top 20.
DS/Witcher are console action games marketed as action/RPG
JA 2 was marketed as strategy/tactical game
PK is a piece of shit, it did nothing right.
Underrail is single character all the way, not a RPG.
Gothic 1/2 combat system is garbage.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Please explain. You liked Enderal, so how come you didn't like Gothic 2?
Wait, what is this Enderal and how does it relate to the best GOAT Gothic?
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/sureais-new-project-enderal-the-shards-of-order.73191/
Yes but my question is how does it relate to Gothic. TES games have the opposite approach to open worlds, and they're bland crap IMO, yes even Morrowind.

Gregz

Arcane
Gothic I - eurojank nostalgia shilled by europoors who got it free in a magazine
Gothic II - more eurojank nostalgia shilled by europoors who got it free in a magazine
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - ugly, inferior to Daggerfall
Dark Souls - boring, tedious, unfun
Pathfinder: Kingmaker - so many unspeakably poor design decisions plague this abortion
D:OS 2 - so bad

Codex Year of the Donut

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/sureais-new-project-enderal-the-shards-of-order.73191/
Yes but my question is how does it relate to Gothic. TES games have the opposite approach to open worlds, and they're bland crap IMO, yes even Morrowind.
It's not a TES game.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
RPG's you didn't like both initially and later on

and played only because codex told you to do so

Baldur's Gate, Paper Sorcerer, anything Obsidian. I would also mention Ultima VII, but I knew of that game before knowing the Codex. I'm about to play Disco Elysium, that game might get in here too.

I didn't like both Gothic and Pool of Radiance at first, but eventually I ended up liking them... still, they might be great games, but I don't think of them as good role-playing ones: Gothic is a well made Tomb Rider style action-adventure title with shit RPG mechanics, and the Gold Box games are tacticool munchkin simulators rather than proper role-playing games.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
and played only because codex told you to do so

none

i don't give a fuck about codex's opinion about rpgs but i'm fortunate enough to like the same great games like fallout, arcanum, pst, krondor, gothic, thief, deus ex, underrail and so on

jackofshadows

Magister
There is no "later on" if I do not start to like the game within the first few hours (or less).

As to stuff I tried based on Codex recommendations and didn't like what I saw in the beginning, it's a long list (trigger warning!):

- Bloodlines
- Deus Ex
- Morrowind
- Anachronox
- Betrayal at Krondor
- Might & Magic 7 & 8
- Ultima 7
- Dark Sun
- Alpha Protocol
- Daggerfall
- Elminage Gothic
- Expeditions: Conquistador
- Pathfinder: Kingmaker
- Arcanum

I'm sure that a few of those I could start liking if I give them another chance. Most probable retries: Arcanum, PF:K, maybe Deus Ex.
Ever tried some other genres?

Probably won't look at this thread ever again to not think less of some Codex users.

Falksi

Arcane
Hands down The Witcher 3. Not only a shit game, but one which goes against everything the Codex is supposed to stand for.

Was daft enough to play it through a second time thinking I must be missing something.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

It's not a TES game.
Worse, it's a TES mod, inheriting all the shittyness of the engine and gameplay. Like New Vegas. But if it's got Gothicness inside, it might be interesting despite that. I just want to know what it is that makes it similar to Gothic.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Hands down The Witcher 3. Not only a shit game, but one which goes against everything the Codex is supposed to stand for.

Was daft enough to play it through a second time thinking I must be missing something.

seventh run is the magic one

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
Before the Codex era - Diablo and both Gothics. It was a combination of hype that convinced me they should be good games and me being quite inexperienced gaming-wise at the time, which meant I didn't have a very clear idea of what I did and didn't like in RPGs. So I didn't quite realize I wasn't having fun until some time after I've played those games.

In the Codex era, I had the same experience Age of Decadence. I was sold on non-combat playthroughs, and that made me keep playing - and only halfway through I realized that I didn't in fact like CYOAs.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
There is no "later on" if I do not start to like the game within the first few hours (or less).

As to stuff I tried based on Codex recommendations and didn't like what I saw in the beginning, it's a long list (trigger warning!):

- Bloodlines
- Deus Ex
- Morrowind
- Anachronox
- Betrayal at Krondor
- Might & Magic 7 & 8
- Ultima 7
- Dark Sun
- Alpha Protocol
- Daggerfall
- Elminage Gothic
- Expeditions: Conquistador
- Pathfinder: Kingmaker
- Arcanum

I'm sure that a few of those I could start liking if I give them another chance. Most probable retries: Arcanum, PF:K, maybe Deus Ex.
Ever tried some other genres?

Out of the Codex Top 100, those are the ones that I tried and didn't like. Most of the rest of the Top 100 I either enjoyed (the turn-based titles) or didn't play (the action RPG's).

Are you one of those who likes every RPG in the Codex Top 100?

V_K

Arcane

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Those two are different for me because both are sort of sequels to Wizardry 7, which is pretty much my favorite RPG.

And W&W is not even clunky. Grimoire has indeed a UI learning curve, but it also offers a lot of Quality of Life improvements (autowalking on maps, remembering the chosen actions in combat, etc.)

Drowed

Arcane
Underrail is single character all the way, not a RPG.

It is only in the Codex that I can learn that, after playing Gurps for almost 20 years, I have never been playing an RPG because I was controlling only one character.
(And yeah, I played several solo adventures with my GM, or narrated solo adventures for some people.)

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
PoE. I eventually just stopped playing due to boredom.

Then some sane people were saying that PoE2 was better. But I am organically unable to play a second game in the series before finishing the first one. So I tried PoE again, and again quit due to boredom.

(I also compulsively read all the text a game has to offer, which might have been a factor here.)

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Then some sane people were saying that PoE2 was better. But I am organically unable to play a second game in the series before finishing the first one. So I tried PoE again, and again quit due to boredom.

Get the two White March expansions. They are much better quality than the base game. They also improved the base game itself quite a bit from what it was at release.

Deadfire is indeed much better in my opinion.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It is only in the Codex that I can learn that, after playing Gurps for almost 20 years, I have never been playing an RPG because I was controlling only one character.
(And yeah, I played several solo adventures with my GM, or narrated solo adventures for some people.)

Well, it's never too late to learn.
If you start your argument by talking about PnP while the conversation is about Underrail, it means you admit you don't have any (argument).
Yes, as discussed over and over around here, in PnP, it's the GM against a party and cRPG tried to emulate a party management for friendless nerds.

There's no cRPG without a party.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom