Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC RPG that is best at letting you play a treasure hunter/thief

hunter1899

Novice
So I know the early Elder Scrolls games do a good job of giving you freedom to do what you want to an extent. Morrowind allows you to "break" the game by finding high powered items using fun spells. But is there no other source for this sort of freedom in treasure hunting?

I'm looking for something that lets you roleplay as someone who is driven only by loot and treasure. A thief's skill set with some limited spell casting ability in addition to your thieves skills and tools. A game without level scaling where I can explore and discover piles of gold and powerful valuable items at any level.

Does this game exist outside of the Elder Scrolls? And I guess Divinity OS 1 and 2 to some extent?

Red Hexapus

Learned

Though on a more serious note, I guess DOS1/DOS2 you've suggested might scratch your itch.
Also, if you have not done that yet, go and play Thief: The Dark Project and Thief II: The Metal Age (Thief: Deadly Shadows is ok too I guess). These are not RPGs, but might give you the feels you're looking for.

hunter1899

Novice

Though on a more serious note, I guess DOS1/DOS2 you've suggested might scratch your itch.
Also, if you have not done that yet, go and play Thief: The Dark Project and Thief II: The Metal Age (Thief: Deadly Shadows is ok too I guess). These are not RPGs, but might give you the feels you're looking for.

Ha never heard of Keef the Thief. Played through DOS 1 and 2 and they were OK. Love the thief series. I guess I'm looking for more open world RPG, which is hard to come by especially with this level of freedom. Looking at your avatar, how is Arcanum in this regard?

Red Hexapus

Learned

Ha never heard of Keef the Thief. Played through DOS 1 and 2 and they were OK. Love the thief series. I guess I'm looking for more open world RPG, which is hard to come by especially with this level of freedom. Looking at your avatar, how is Arcanum in this regard?

Yeah "Keef the Thief" is... bizarre to say the least :)
As for Arcanum, I've never played as a thief character, but maybe this could work for if you pick the right background and invest enough in the thief skills. From what I recall there is a lot of interesting loot that can be found on the characters in the game or in the containers at Tarant shops. Just don't get discouraged by the combat system it can be brutal at times.

Erebus

Arcane
There's always "Dance with rogues"...

(The first one. Don't play the second one. In fact, it could even be argued that playing the second half of the first one is unnecessary.)

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
kcd, alchemy is magic. That being said, once you get best items there is little more to accomplish.

Heroine quest is really funny as a thief. You can add magic but Id suggest not to

dos1&2 would work if only they didnt make loot scaled...

underrail fits quite well your agenda.

Aod can be like that, although you might feel gated. I might have perfect playthrough for you
ascending thief, betray everyone. Can be pacifist!

Arcanum would work no? Although magic is quite loud if you chose to use it. Also never liked daggers selection. Never could also decide magic/tech for thief as I kind of like both

TOME, provided you are fine with roguelike randomness

warlock of firetop mountain

styx although I dont think it gives you freedom that you want

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Would modern spy games suit your itch or do are you just interested in traditional fantasy games that focus on thief abilities? If it's the former, Covert Action and Alpha Protocol scratch that itch for me, but they're not necessarily the best at pure thiefdom.

Acrux

Arcane
Arcanum. Easily the most rewarding RPG for thieving (lockpicking/prowling/backstabbing, etc.) and you can definitely go the magic route as a thief. There are also many Thieves Guild quests.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Arcanum. Buy stuff off people and steal the money back 100 gold at a time when they're fast asleep. Never gets old, especially if you're 12.

laclongquan

Arcane
Arcanum has biggest selection of treasures awaiting you exploring for it, or break the game (schematics).

Along that vein, Fallout New Vegas also has that feature, better than other game in same series because it has the crafting elements.

Prince of Qin has this due to the crafting elements. You need to hunt monsters for their drops, and they are randomized to some extents. And those loots get crafted into items, also randomized in final result's element distribution. You can calculate and influence that process to some extent but RNG do play some heavy roles. Problem of PoQ is that it's early millenium game so its maps are limited for a CD-length game.

Silent Storm (more than its sequel SSS) has this in term of loots in random maps. IN the same map type, you are not guaranteed to find the treasures hidden in a nook. And if it there you still have to fight through hordes of enemies to get it. Very rare case where you can sneak in and get it before hand.

Witcher1 with its alchemy system. YOu have to wander the maps to harvest ingredients, fighting monsters for their drops...

Might & Magic: Dark Messiah. Playing as a thief/mage hybrid is very satisfying. Lots of secrets to find, great use of elevation, highly interactive (and weaponizable) environments. Stealth is also well implemented. You'll be running around creating traps out of the surroundings, tricking enemies to their doom, and mixing stealth and magic to ambush or avoid. The plot is meh, the game is on rails, but the level design and mechanics are a lot of fun. Decent AI too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom