Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
"So guys, there's concern that many players will blow through our bosses in a few tries."

"Yeah, we have to make them spend more time in our game, at any cost.¨"

"How about a boss with so much cheap bullshit you'd need at least 20 tries?"

"Good idea, we can put him at the end of the Golden Castle mission."

"Perfect, let's do it. But don't forget, it has to be the cheapest bullshit anyone has ever devised otherwise you do it again."

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
What kind of bullshit are we talking about?

I understand that different people with different builds have problems with different bosses, but how can anyone find Lady Osakabe difficult? Each eye comes down in a couple of hits, and it's almost impossible to get hit by the projectiles if you pay even just the bare minimum attention to your surroundings.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What kind of bullshit are we talking about?

I understand that different people with different builds have problems with different bosses, but how can anyone find Lady Osakabe difficult? Each eye comes down in a couple of hits, and it's almost impossible to get hit by the projectiles if you pay even just the bare minimum attention to your surroundings.

Ok, who else thinks it's "almost impossible" to get hit in this boss fight?

Suicidal

Arcane
"So guys, there's concern that many players will blow through our bosses in a few tries."

"Perfect, let's do it. But don't forget, it has to be the cheapest bullshit anyone has ever devised otherwise you do it again."

A lot of people consider the house to be one of the worst (if not the worst) bosses in the game.

I also didn't like it. It felt like the only time they brought an idea over from the previous game but actually made it worse.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

A lot of people consider the house to be one of the worst (if not the worst) bosses in the game.

I also didn't like it. It felt like the only time they brought an idea over from the previous game but actually made it worse.

Too bad I didn't realize if I paid just minimal attention I couldn't actually get hit.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
People struggled with Lady Osakabe? I found her to be the easiest boss in the game.
What build have you used against her? What strats?

Btw I for one don't understand why are people finding Yatsu hard. I've just blew through him in the Golden Castle, with a very different build. Also blew through Kasha, turns out previously I was fighting her with a bad build, my double swords chopped her into pieces.

Maybe I had trouble with Osakabe because of the dual swords. They're too short and unsuitable for the "quick nuke and dodge" tactics that's needed in this fight. I guess an axe or odachi would be great here. Or spear.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
People struggled with Lady Osakabe? I found her to be the easiest boss in the game.

Btw I for one don't understand why are people finding Yatsu hard. I've just blew through him in the Golden Castle, with a very different build. Also blew through Kasha, turns out previously I was fighting her with a bad build, my double swords chopped her into pieces.

Maybe I had trouble with Osakabe because of the dual swords. They're too short and unsuitable for the "quick nuke and dodge" tactics that's needed in this fight. I guess an axe or odachi would be great here. Or spear.

What framerate are you getting? I read that there was a bug where her attacks were tied to fps to some degree and if it was set at 120 she attacked twice as much as she was supposed to. Not sure if that's been fixed yet or not, but if you're on 120 maybe drop it down to 60 to see what she's like.

FWIW, I did her second try with the split staff without any particular problem and that's without being able to use my usual Sloth crutch to compensate for my old man reflexes. Just shoot her eye then run around a lot hitting the furballs until you can grapple. Worked fine for me.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What framerate are you getting? I read that there was a bug where her attacks were tied to fps to some degree and if it was set at 120 she attacked twice as much as she was supposed to. Not sure if that's been fixed yet or not, but if you're on 120 maybe drop it down to 60 to see what she's like.

ARE YOU F... AAARRRGH. I think this is it. I have been playing on 120 FPS.

Jesus tapdancing christ, I couldn't understand how people could even solo this fight, she had barely any fucking downtime, goddamn lasers slicing me constantly and homing balls flying . Also when I watched some Tubers I thought they're having it suspiciously easy, she attacked like once in a blue moon. I'm not redoing the mission now just to check but I sure as hell will remember that for DotSt.

Btw here's some explanation, for anyone interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/Nioh/comments/m0lr2o/lady_osakabe_is_bugged_at_120hz_and_attacks_much/

Suicidal

Arcane
Weird bug, but this explains why you have been struggling. I remember there was a similar issue with DS 2 having different gameplay behavior on 60 FPS.

Note that I still think this boss sucks. Not because she (it?) is hard (I though she was pretty easy) but because she's a lamer version of the multi-headed dick serpent from Nioh 1.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I can relate.
Most of the times I failed to kill a boss it was due to underperformance of my chair-to-keyboard connector.

Suicidal

Arcane
I don't know why but I absolutely loved the Orochi fight in Nioh 1. I thought it was a great way to cap off the game. Is that everyone else's' most hated boss or what?

I thought it was pretty good and I doubt it's the most hated boss when Umi Bozo exists.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't know why but I absolutely loved the Orochi fight in Nioh 1. I thought it was a great way to cap off the game. Is that everyone else's' most hated boss or what?

I think giant bosses are a great way to end a game, with proper spectacle and fireworks. Problem is devs can rarely design a fight that's
a) spectacle
b) fun
c) properly challenging

Even FromSoft's record is hit and miss in this, mostly miss.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Ok, who else thinks it's "almost impossible" to get hit in this boss fight?
Apparently anyone with not enough money to play at 120 fps. :positive:

Pretty based of the comrades at Team Ninja to find a way to fuck over people with money. :salute:

Just slap a purity talisman on your weapon and watch the eyes' ki bar go down in two hits. If you have a skill with a very high damage output (like the splitstaff's changing ways), you can take down an eye in two or three seconds. The whole bossfight shouldn't last more than a minute.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So just FYI, I watched Cowboy struggle with Osakabe on PS4. And the normal rate of her lazor attack is about EVERY FORTY SECONDS.

Which is more friendly than in my case....by about 35 seconds. I kid you not at 120 FPS she attacks every 5-10 seconds. The difference in spitting her elemental balls isn't nearly as crazy but she does that attack slower too.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Halfway through Strong now and it's getting to that point where Nioh stops being interesting for me. Once you have to start farming bosses for texts with that ridiculous drop rate I'm dropping out. Not my jam at all.

Still tho, this is p. much the perfect aRPG. There's almost too much good stuff. Loved every second of my NG run, except for Okasabe and Uminyudo, fuck those fights. Ten out of fucking ten.

Once you have to start farming bosses for texts with that ridiculous drop rate I'm dropping out. Not my jam at all.
The only reason to farm smithing texts in this game is for cosmetics really. I just used a divine set grabbed from some revenant graves until ethereal oranges became unlocked on WotW, from there it's just forging "lucky drop armor" on accessories when it comes time to upgrading.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Once you have to start farming bosses for texts with that ridiculous drop rate I'm dropping out. Not my jam at all.
The only reason to farm smithing texts in this game is for cosmetics really. I just used a divine set grabbed from some revenant graves until ethereal oranges became unlocked on WotW, from there it's just forging "lucky drop armor" on accessories when it comes time to upgrading.

Eh, stat gear does help a ton with your dmg output, without it boss fights take twice as long and it's annoying. Also I have been farming revenants, I must've cleared the majority of graves I've come across, but most of those people are wearing retarded gear for some reason.

Like now I'm trying a splitsaff build and I'm looking for the Benkei set. But a) splitstaff graves are quite rare and b) you find shit like "Veteran Helm", "Horseguard Cuirass" and "Kingo Greaves" on a single person. Why would a splitstaff user wear garbage like this? Nioh isn't Fashion Souls, here stats matter. And that's happening over and over. Come to think of it I haven't killed a single Benkei user yet and I have 80 hours in the game.

The other alternative is to go through the entire Strong and meticulously open every chest and pick up every shiny again. And seeing as I've done that on Samurai and I'm still missing a lot of set pieces, it isn't exactly appealing.

Nah, to be reasonably effective in Strong and further and not chip away at bosses for half an hour and get one shot at the end you need high-level sets and you can only forge those. Unless you're a switchglaive build, then you can rely on revenants since 70% of them are switchglaive users.

If the devs weren't Japs maybe you wouldn't need to kill a boss 200+ times to get his text. Then again if they weren't Japs the rest of the game wouldn't be as awesome.

Suicidal

Arcane
Finally finished the game on normal, even did all of the side missions. Really great game, surpasses Nioh 1 in pretty much every way. The only thing that's kind of disappointing is that after mid game the game becomes a bit too easy. One of the reasons for this is good - the game is better balanced than Nioh 1 and I have never been 100-0 in one hit/combo in the entire game, something that was common in Nioh 1, which contributed to a large share of my deaths.

However, another reason is something I hope the devs will look at if they ever make a Nioh 3 or a similar game of this type is that it becomes super easy to stunlock enemies due to all the yokai abilities that drain a lot of enemy stamina and shit like burst counters. I'm sure all of you who played this game have noticed that the more you hit demonic enemies, the lower their maximum stamina becomes. Yokai abilities and burst counters drain it even more. Once their stamina reaches 0, normal mobs spawn a pool underneath and bosses enter the dark realm phase and fully restore their stamina. However in this new phase they will have less maximum stamina, so it takes less time to drain them to 0 again, after which they enter the normal phase again with even less stamina, after which you can bring them back to 0 in a few attacks, and after that they are usually already dead. Many yokai abilities also give you stagger immunity/damage resistance/grab immunity while dealing damage.

I think if the maximum stamina of demons didn't decrease in combat and burst counter was harder to pull off (there were some enemies with super quick red attacks that I couldn't counter, but most were very slow even for my boomer reflexes), I think the difficulty would have been perfect.

Also, the DLCs were great. The first one was weak, but 2 and 3 more than made up for it. They added so many new interesting enemies and cool bosses. I think the 3 DLCs combined added as many new enemies as the entire base game, if not more. Meanwhile, the DLCs in Nioh 1 only added the long necks, butcher demons, 4-armed demons and aggressive kappas.

I can already see this game being my GOTY of 2021, unless Pathinder WOTR comes out in a playable state and is a significant improvement over Kingmaker, or Elden Ring comes out this year and somehow manages combine the best elements of Sekiro and Dark Souls, both of which are extremely unlikely.

Now who knows how long we'll have to wait for another good 3rd person hack & slash. I've heard about Ninja Gaiden trilogy coming to PC, so that's pretty exciting, but after that it's just cricket noises and maybe Elden Ring in 2050.

For now I'm gonna keep playing NG+ until I grow bored. I hope to make it to the difficulty level where enemies start using new moves.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
As someone who loves this game but utterly despises farming, I have no problem with using one of the various cheat programs you can find online. For example, with this one, you just need to activate "max drop rate & item rarity" and your smiting text drop is guaranteed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom