Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG's you didn't like both initially and later on

urmom

Learned
KotOR 2 more like KotOR Poo. Doesn't even belong in the top 101.
I very much liked some of the characters (blind chick was hawt) but the game overall was just 'meh'. Shitty three-character RTwP engine didn't help it.

Pathfinder - what can I say. I prefer turn-based combat. Now that they implemented it I might try again. It made PoE 2 tolerable. Story was meh, characters in your party were meh.

Witcher 3 - A bit different here. I enjoyed my first playthrough because I played the previous games and read all the books, so I was pretty hyped. Then I played it the second time and hated every second of it. Shit combat, shit character progression, skill tree is a joke, UI design is pathetic (Why is modern UI design so obsessed with fucking square shapes) mediocre story. No level scaling is good but they handled it in the worst way possible (nothing like fighting a griffin at lvl 3 at the beginning of the game, then later in the game encountering a same-looking griffin with the same attacks, same size and same texture except this one has number 20 above its head and mine is only 9 so it kills me in one hit). seriously fuck that game.

Elex - I love Gothic 1 and 2 to bits, but I couldn't get into this one.

Ravielsk

Magister
Witcher 3 - A bit different here. I enjoyed my first playthrough because I played the previous games and read all the books, so I was pretty hyped. Then I played it the second time and hated every second of it. Shit combat, shit character progression, skill tree is a joke, UI design is pathetic (Why is modern UI design so obsessed with fucking square shapes) mediocre story. No level scaling is good but they handled it in the worst way possible (nothing like fighting a griffin at lvl 3 at the beginning of the game, then later in the game encountering a same-looking griffin with the same attacks, same size and same texture except this one has number 20 above its head and mine is only 9 so it kills me in one hit). seriously fuck that game.

Elex - I love Gothic 1 and 2 to bits, but I couldn't get into this one.

I have to second this. The witcher 3 feels bloated in all the wrong ways. It has massive skilltrees and character customization and barely any of it matters. Tons of loot to find but only witcher sets are actually worth keeping and the pacing is just all kinds of shit. Also as far as the story goes its both terrible sequel for the games just as it is for the books.

Elex was fine as far as story goes(expect for the Outlaws, they are just stupid) but the pacing was just completely out of whack(as in 70% of the game is chapter 1) and the character progression is just all kinds of stupid. The combat also feels like it was simultaneously the vocal point and a afterthought at the same time.

Ravielsk

Magister
the pacing was just completely out of whack(as in 70% of the game is chapter 1)
Not like other PB games are much different in that regard :M
The difference is that in Gothic and Risen(1, the other two are more like elex) its a intentional design choice and a limitation of the game world. The first chapter in Gothic is meant to be the slow phase where you are familiarizing yourself with the world and its inhabitants so that later when a major threat to that world is introduced you have some form of investment in the world itself. The pacing works because the story is not starting with a imminent threat to deal with, that comes later and once it enters other auxiliary content is dropped. The focus of the story changes and so side-quests are also sidelined as it would no longer make sense for the hero to give a shit about some farmers "curry wurst" problem when there is an imminent threat of a demonic invasion. Not to mention that once side-quests dry out the main quest is actually "meaty" enough to carry whole chapters on its own.

In elex its the inverse. The big bad is known from the very start and the situation is sold as rather dire but somehow the hero still spends a lot of time with random BS. It feels more like they made all those quests but due to time constrains did not include any chapter specific triggers for them. In fact you can max out your faction and get the best armor in chapter 1 without even really trying which again is the opposite of Gothic where as the conflict escalates you get better and better gear. In elex you finish what is effectively presented as a preparatory phase as a god. The remaining chapters than have a couple of mainline quests that can take up a couple of hours at best.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have nowhere to post this and I figure this is a shit-tier thread where the answer is obviously "PST is terrible", so behold this horror:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I have nowhere to post this and I figure this is a shit-tier thread where the answer is obviously "PST is terrible", so behold this horror:

This Adonis of a man wouldn't have released Fallout 3, so that's something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom