Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Disco Elysium - Final Cut is Cut from Australia

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Australia; Censorship; Disco Elysium

It looks like Australia is having none of Disco Elysium - Final Cut's shenanigans. Per the Classification Board, they're refusing to allow classification of the game based on the following crap:

Games 1(a): The computer game is classified RC in accordance with the National Classification Code, Computer Games Table, 1. (a) as computer games that "depict, express or otherwise deal with matters of sex, drug misuse or addiction, crime, cruelty, violence or revolting or abhorrent phenomena in such a way that they offend against the standards of morality, decency and propriety generally accepted by reasonable adults to the extent that they should not be classified."​

Oh no, it's almost like the game has real world stuff that the news covers every day or stuff anyone can see any time they want on Netflix or even YouTube! Thank goodness we have morality police to save us.

Picked this up from the shoutbox, but got the link from Blue's News.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Your opinion on the game shouldn't matter. Like with anything else, eventually they'll get around to censoring something you do like. That's why you should stand up to it whenever it happens.

ADL

Prophet
It astounds me that there's basically a whole generation of people who grew up surrounded by video games that tell elaborate, (arguably) mature stories and this shit still happens in Australia. Can a kangaroo let me know why their country is such a nanny state shithole? Doesn't appear to be evangelical-based conservativism after looking at the census data, this is like Jack Thompson-level pearl clutching that happened in the US in the early 2000s that was enabled by 9/11.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Australia

in such a way that they offend against the standards of morality, decency and propriety generally accepted by reasonable adults to the extent that they should not be classified.
I've never seen legislation this broad and open to interpretation. How did any of this make it through? Holy shit
rating_lulz.gif

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is this due to new content added to the game? Or did they just miss it the first time around?

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
So what's so horrible that it can't be seen by Australians? If I'm not mistaken, no one else thinks its so horrible it should never be seen. I'd make a joke, but I genuinely want to know what could be so horrible that's new. Its already got unpleasant political talk, violence, sex, drugs. What's left?

flabbyjack

Arcane
I was confused by the thread title and thread contents until I read the OP again.

I read the title like: "The version of the Final Cut is the Australian-approved edition"

Sorta like Fallout had an Australian version where kids had infinite HP or some other inane faggotry.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
So what's so horrible that it can't be seen by Australians? If I'm not mistaken, no one else thinks its so horrible it should never be seen. I'd make a joke, but I genuinely want to know what could be so horrible that's new. Its already got unpleasant political talk, violence, sex, drugs. What's left?
That's the great thing about being a quasi-governmental bureaucracy, you don't have to provide specifics. Just make a general statement, which I'm sure is true, then wave your hand and declare it verboten. Like I said in the original post, I doubt there's anything in this game that isn't something people can be exposed to on other platforms available in Australia. You can probably still buy and rent the movie Taxi Driver there, after all. You can't look at the graphics and say it's so hyper realistic that it engrams people's brains. Also, I seriously doubt that the game glorifies any of it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Your opinion on the game shouldn't matter. Like with anything else, eventually they'll get around to censoring something you do like. That's why you should stand up to it whenever it happens.

And there I was, thinking Germany was terrible with game censorship...

But then I just have to look down under and feel better about my country. At least we're not THAT bad!
(still gotta move out of this shithole)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Good ol' Cleve Blakemore... pulling some strings with his aussie friends and preventing poor australian Saps from getting damaged by Decline.

Cleve liked DE. I noticed that's a common thing here, people on the fringes of the political spectrum end up liking this thing whereas the more level-headed do not.

z'on verlies

Literate
Developer
i can't be bothered to find the graphic, but some of the responses in this thread warrant that "RPG IS TACTICS" meme, don't they..

stay edgy, my friends.

(aso ..st. proverbius? the name sounds like something from ol' troika irc days..)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom