Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Several people have mentioned Versatility . . . I don't understand the appeal. This game does not appear to reward spreading your damage types out. Under what circumstances is Versatility useful?

If I have only dumped points into guns, I would see no benefit to taking Versatility, correct?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I kind of like this design though. The thing for me - at least before the patch - was that *as a weapon skill*, even with other skills on top, mechanical firearms felt very weak to me compared to other firearms. And it sounds like they still aren't nearly as good as other choices. I don't really care about their relative quality though. If they're at least somewhat better than before the patch, I think that's gonna be enough for me.

I've never felt that way. Assault rifles are extremely powerful. SMGs are the low-STR, DEX-affected version of ARs. I've been using SMGs during my current playthrough, and they're quite stronk with high Stealth, Commando, Spec Ops, and of course lots of grenades. I even have Sure Step so that I can drop crawler poison caltrops with absolutely no worry whatsoever.

Mechanical pistols were always more-or-less intended to be sidearms, which makes sense, considering that pistols are sidearms. Feats and buffs added later have elevated them, not to mention Temporal Manipulation, the min-maxer's best friend.

Sniper rifles... are stronk, but I have yet to complete a playthrough with them. Bad luck hits you too damn hard, and there are too many times when you're dumped into a tiny box full of gankers. Being denied long-range engagement on a regular basis does not endear me to a long-range, all-or-nothing weapon.

Crossbows felt very weak to me during my Crossbow/Traps playthrough. That was before v1.0, let alone Expedition and the techniques people developed of using Ambush and lots of crit feats and specialization points to essentially turn it into an arrow wizard.

I've done a sledgehammer tin can and a spear riot armor playthrough. They were, on the whole, more challenging to use than mechanical firearms.

This game's meta has become all about piling on crit feats to deal absurd damage, which annoys me, but oh well.

doh, i wrote “mechanical firearms” instead of “mechanical pistols”. Sorry for wasting your time writing that long response to something else :(

Metronome

Learned
Several people have mentioned Versatility . . . I don't understand the appeal.
You see Ivan, when you are stronk like me, you do not need to do the aimings.
0muuD2u.png

Bullet goes straight to target for respect of big muscles.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Several people have mentioned Versatility . . . I don't understand the appeal. This game does not appear to reward spreading your damage types out. Under what circumstances is Versatility useful?

If I have only dumped points into guns, I would see no benefit to taking Versatility, correct?

As I understand it, the point is that it allows you to dump stats - like Per, for instance, since you don’t need it because your ranged weapon skill is brought up by your Maxed melee skills which relies on Strength

CHEMS

Scholar

It allows you to draw skill points from dexterity instead of perception. High dexterity means less ap for light firearms like pistols. So you'll max melee and those skill points go to guns and xbows. You'll be able to fire a neoluger for 4 ap, if it's a crit build you'll be dishing hundreds of damage per shot. If it's a energy versatility crit build, you'll dish around 600 with the laser, at least.

CHEMS

Scholar
This game's meta has become all about piling on crit feats to deal absurd damage, which annoys me, but oh well.

Expertise SMGs are nice. You won't need crits but you'll burn ammo like there's no tomorrow. Never took it to DC though.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Expertise SMGs are nice. You won't need crits but you'll burn ammo like there's no tomorrow. Never took it to DC though.

Yes, Expertise SMG is what I'm running now. When I came upon my first real tin can (one of the muggers south of Foundry), I slapped some W2C ammo in and killed him in two bursts.

Long ago, pre-v1.0, when I was playing Traps/Crossbows—most likely on Oddity as well—I had to sneak past those same muggers because he was near-impossible to kill. That was on Normal difficulty, mind you.

Crossbows have since been "buffed" so that arrow wizard is a viable build, but if I wanted to play a wizard I'd just play a psi user... or rather, I would if psi hadn't been nerfed in an especially obnoxious way.

___________________________________________________________________​

While I'm here, another issue with the harebrained repair kit nerf has occurred to me: The small handfuls of scraps found as loot are just as small as they were before the recipe costs were doubled, halving their value. Also, after nine or ten playthroughs of Underrail, I can safely say that you can count the number of complete repair kits you'll find as loot during a whole playthrough on two hands at most, possibly even one hand.

Furthermore, it's now nonsensical for spare parts vendors to purchase repair kits, because there is never any reason to sell them except to flush money down the toilet. Additionally, that's the primary thing that those vendors purchase.

The weight increase is very fair. If anything, a substantial kit of tools and material would weigh at least one or two pounds. That is the only fair, sensible, or reasonable part of the nerf. Everything else about it indicates hastiness, arbitrariness, and a failure to actually rethink anything properly before implementing a knee-jerk solution.

CHEMS

Scholar
Crossbows have since been "buffed" so that arrow wizard is a viable build, but if I wanted to play a wizard I'd just play a psi user... or rather, I would if psi hadn't been nerfed in an especially obnoxious way.

Xbows are amazing. A crit from a MKII elemental shock bolt with critical power hits like a fucking truck and deals heavy damage to nearby enemies. Not very good for open confrontations, though. Running xbows requires you to be a sneaky character.

Furthermore, it's now nonsensical for spare parts vendors to purchase repair kits, because there is never any reason to sell them except to flush money down the toilet. Additionally, that's the primary thing that those vendors purchase.

I'm playing on hard and i'm amazed seeing how easy money can be made on this difficulty. You can actually make money crafting shit. Selling for profit and buying components after you take all the shekels from the vendors. I have a fully upgraded house with the security systems and everything. I have three custom jets too. On dominating you're constantly cucked financially, it's ridiculous.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I'm playing on hard and i'm amazed seeing how easy money can be made on this difficulty. You can actually make money crafting shit. Selling for profit and buying components after you take all the shekels from the vendors. I have a fully upgraded house with the security systems and everything. I have three custom jets too. On dominating you're constantly cucked financially, it's ridiculous.

I have no complaint about earning money per se. I've got over 10k charons saved already at level 16 (Hard Classic), and have long since passed the point where I might find myself unable to purchase any needful crafting component, consumable, or ammunition. Jet skis cost half of what they once did, and house decorations can be bought as whim dictates.

Furthermore, I am able to repair every single piece of loot with a non-trivial value to its full durability (or close enough; no sense in being wasteful) as well as my own gear with absolutely no problem whatsoever.

My complaint is that recycling and repair are now shitty, unsatisfying, and fucking dumb. The system was designed to work properly the way it was originally conceived. Styg cut its balls off arbitrarily in the most obviously hack-and-slash way possible, and what's left is clearly an empty ballsack. At the very utmost, it may make the beginning of a Dominating playthrough slightly more difficult.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

No. Buy electronic repair kits in addition to taking all of given vendor's cash. Sell them when you can't gain another vendor's cash any other way. Similar to buying ammo to sell to a vendor that doesn't buy anything expensive.

jackofshadows

Magister
Sniper rifles... are stronk, but I have yet to complete a playthrough with them. Bad luck hits you too damn hard, and there are too many times when you're dumped into a tiny box full of gankers. Being denied long-range engagement on a regular basis does not endear me to a long-range, all-or-nothing weapon.
I used shotguns as a support wep all my playthrough starting with the shoddy one, they're incredibly strong even w/o any invested perks not to mention usefulness vs groups of small enemies like burrower's spawns. You can save strafe investment as well i.e. always open fight with your sniper rifle and then switch to shotgun & kite. Later in the game (~25+ lvl) you'd be one-shotting everything anyway and the distance won't matter. So it's all about getting there with shotgun's help and other support stuff at the beginning.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
I hope they add a little convenience feature either in a patch or Infusion to let you buy ammo in clips rather than just per-bullet. Would save on time spent microcalculating.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Not even pre-nerf assault rifles could stand on their own.
Lolwat, alzheimers getting to you, pre nerf there wasnt even DOM...

You still needed grenades as an AR tin can. Lacking stealth, you can't really control the commencement of hostilities; Crippling Strikers (100% of knife-wielding NPCs in the game have that feat), lurking stealth guys, crawlers, psi users, and other such nuisances would be far too aggravating to deal with in the absence of flashbangs and pineapples, even if you technically could kill everything with the AR.

No. Buy electronic repair kits in addition to taking all of given vendor's cash. Sell them when you can't gain another vendor's cash any other way. Similar to buying ammo to sell to a vendor that doesn't buy anything expensive.

I'm well aware of this strategy, and it works, but I feel it's too wasteful of loot value (on Hard+, anyway) to be worthwhile when it will only increase my total "merchant circuit" take by perhaps 10-15%.

Granted, I still have a large pile of loot. Perhaps I should ramp up these Pyrrhic barter swaps in an effort to get rid of all of it.

Last edited:

CHEMS

Scholar
I never realized Cut Throat can crit. Amazing. I actually get to kill enemies on dominating using this meme feat.

Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
You still needed grenades as an AR tin can.
No u didnt, I played it without even looking at what grenades do, most I used was bear traps on corners...
Also, pre nerf you could switch armors before battle... I didnt, cause it wasnt needed.

Tygrende

Arbiter
I think the word "need" is very relative, as proven by DOMINATING being beatable with a throwing knife build. I don't think there's such a thing as "unviable" - as long as the build is cohesive and you know what you're doing, it's probably good enough to beat the game.

Parabalus

Arcane
The worse your build the more consumables you need.

You can get by with anything if your throw enough money at the opposition.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The worse your build the more consumables you need.

You can get by with anything if your throw enough money at the opposition.

AR tin can is a strong build requiring very little thought to design that's nearly impossible to fuck up.

Also, you will save charons deleting enemies with grenades as compared to exclusively hosing them down with the cylindrical money known as ammunition.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I never realized Cut Throat can crit. Amazing. I actually get to kill enemies on dominating using this meme feat.

View attachment 18597

As a stealthfag i feel personally attacked by this meme

Just stealth, Shooting Spree, delete 2 enemies with Snipe and Aimed Shot. Then proceed tu unleash 9-round bursts on the enemy. Armor optional. It's aggravating how useless SMGs are compared to even a stealth burster. Sniper synergy is way better than pistol, energy or otherwise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom