Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for survival horror recommendations

Arthandas

Prophet
I'd like to play something new but it seems the genre now consists of:
* glorified walking simulator trash (Outlast, Alien Isolation, Devotion, anything from Frictional Games/Blobber Team)
* horror themed action games (Evil Within, Dead Space, half of Resident Evils, Condemned)
* multiplayer games designed for Twitch (too many to count)
* dumbed down adventure games (Coma, Detention)
To be clear, I don't consider ANY of those games to be survival horrors.

The state of the genre is depressing, there's not even a one good release per year...

To show what I consider a good survival horror game, here are my favorites (in no particular order):
Silent Hill 1-4 (especially 2, basically all the titles made by Team Silent)
Darkwood
Lone Survivor
Pathologic 1/2 (yeah, I know there's a LOT of walking, but shut up, Pathologic is special)
RE2 Remake
RE7

There are some PS2 classics that I'm yet to play but are on my radar: Rule of Rose, Haunting Grounds, Siren and Fatal Frame series.

So, is there anything good that I'm not aware of? How do you deal with the state of the genre?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
>dismisses all the good survival horrors as not survival horrors
>wants recommendations
>okay

There are LITERALLY tons of excellent survival horror-esque coming out and has come out, but you're gonna be autist about that, that's fine. Your choice.

Cross

Arcane
* horror themed action games (Condemned)
Seems a bit odd to list games that let you hold an entire arsenal of firearms as 'true' survival horror, while dismissing Condemned, where you can hold only 1 weapon at a time (and a melee weapon, at that), as just an action game. (Although you also have a taser.)

I would've liked Condemned to have less linear level design and for the 'forensic investigation' aspect to be more involving, but it's still one of the better games in the genre due to the things it does very well: enemy behavior, combat, sound design and a very unique atmosphere.

Arthandas

Prophet
There are LITERALLY tons of excellent survival horror-esque coming out and has come out
Name them, I'm waiting

Seems a bit odd to list games that let you hold an entire arsenal of firearms as 'true' survival horror, while dismissing Condemned, where you can hold only 1 weapon at a time
How's that relevant to anything? Outlast let's you carry zero weapons and it's barely even a game.

dying light?
AAA popamole

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The state of the genre is in great shape.

RE8 coming out soon, other than that theres numerous good RE titles, alien isolation, outlast series, amnesia series, SOMA, COMA and so on.

Arthandas

Prophet
alien isolation, outlast series, amnesia series, SOMA, COMA and so on.
I rest my case.

I bet walking from scripted jumpscare A to scripted jumpscare B and solving elementary school puzzles is epitome of survival horror for you. It's hard to even consider those titles as games. It's what you get after stripping all gameplay elements from a true survival horror (or any game for that matter).

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
alien isolation, outlast series, amnesia series, SOMA, COMA and so on.
I rest my case.

I bet walking from scripted jumpscare A to scripted jumpscare B and solving elementary school puzzles is epitome of survival horror for you. It's hard to even consider those titles as games. It's what you get after stripping all gameplay elements from a true survival horror (or any game for that matter).

You're a retard with retarded taste. not much to do, nobody can help you here. Contain your autism.

You can close the thread now.

Arthandas

Prophet
You're a retard with retarded taste. not much to do, nobody can help you here. Contain your autism.

You can close the thread now.
I'm really sorry for hurting your feelings. Here, have a candy and go play Stanley Parable or something.

Wunderbar

Arcane
* glorified walking simulator trash (Outlast, Alien Isolation, Devotion, anything from Frictional Games/Blobber Team)
have you even played Alien Isolation? It's not a walking simulator. It has combat, stealth mechanics and resource management.

To show what I consider a good survival horror game, here are my favorites (in no particular order):
Darkwood
Lone Survivor
Pathologic 1/2 (yeah, I know there's a LOT of walking, but shut up, Pathologic is special)
RE2 Remake
RE7
no RE1-2-3-0 or RE1 remake?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
have you even played Alien Isolation? It's not a walking simulator. It has combat, stealth mechanics and resource management.

Darkwood
Lone Survivor
RE2 Remake
RE7

Dude this guy is literally retarded. Don't bother with answering him in this shit thread.

existential_vacuum

.PNG Police
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Dismissing Condemned and Alien: Isolation does you no good. Saying, that Alien: Isolation is a glorified walking sim shows, that you've never played Alien: Isolation.
Comparing Condemned and Outlast is just plain retarded.

That being said, have you tried Total Chaos?

Arthandas

Prophet
Wait for RE8 and GhostWire: Tokyo.
I am actually, I have big hopes for them.

I played it and although it has those elements, 95% of the game is just literally walking. Also, Aliens AI is really easy to fool and after the first encounter I found him more funny than scary.
Yeah, I like them, I just don't think they're the best of the best. I just posted my toplist, not every single good survival horror I played.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Arthandas have you played Alone in the Dark - The new nightmare? I wouldn't call it great, but it is OK survival horror game, one of the last big-budget horrors with pre-rendered backgrounds. Alone in the Dark 2008 is a bit too actiony and is absolutely not scary, but it's a pretty remarkable game nonetheless - it has some cool immersive fire propagation mechanics and inventory management.

Martian Gothic is another decent PS1-era survival horror (there is a PC version available, although it is quite buggy).

There's also Obscure (1 and 2), two french survival horror games inspired by teen horror films such as The Faculty). Both aren't scary in the slightest, but still fun and worth checking out if you've ran out of horror games to play.

Arthandas

Prophet
but Silent Hill is storyfag Resident Evil, and Silent Hill 2 is storyfag Silent Hill.
Haha, I can't argue with that :)

As for the titles you mentioned, yes, I played AinD and it's exactly as you described it - ok. Martian Gothic looks janky as hell. I know Obscure but I've never played it, I just hate having AI sidekicks, especially in horror games.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Call of Cthulhu - Dark Corners of the Earth starts off as a walking sim and later devolves into a janky shooter, but it's still worth being mentioned here.

SoupNazi

Call of Cthulhu - Dark Corners of the Earth starts off as a walking sim and later devolves into a janky shooter, but it's still worth being mentioned here.
Is that the game where at some point you have to run away from crazed villagers in like an industrial area? You have to like close fences behind you and solve mini-puzzles while the villagers are giving chase?

I remember the game turning into pure jank soon after that, but I remember that as one of the greatest set pieces ever. Might be nostalgia talking, I'll admit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom