Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Battle for Esturia Has Arrived

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Battle for Esturia; Esturia Games

Battle for Esturia has been released on Steam. It's an old school, turn based game with graphics similar to the original Ultima games. It's currently on a release sale with 15% off up through March 26th.

Battle for Esturia is a turn-based strategy RPG featuring an open world filled with monsters, dungeons, and interesting characters. You control the fate of your party as they journey across a dangerous land in an attempt to retake the throne from an undead king. You will be faced with many difficult choices along the way and your actions will determine the challenges you face, the battles you fight, and the destiny of your people.

I think the neatest thing about this is that it has a radial menu, movement and spell targeting markers and several other modern UI elements while still having those EGA graphics.

Last edited:

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gotta say I like the presentation and the art-style. Maybe it's part because I'm old and I enjoy replaying Wasteland and the Gold Box games more than
I even care for modern titles. After Fallout I+II the next modern RPGs on my list might be Underrail and Age of Decadence.

I really got the urge to impulse buy Battle for Esturia. Thanks for posting in the news about it.
I've never heard from it until now. And I think it would have completely flown under my radar.:salute:

edit:
Ah, what the hell, I bought it. From my first impressions Battle for Esturia is incline.
The music creates a good atmosphere, the sound design on the effects is solid.
You get a 12 page pdf manual which breaks down character classes and explains
the interface. It's a quick read and has also some lore about the world which is
interesting enough. Though the game explains itself good enough that you
could just jump right into it. I just went through my first fight and almost
got my butt handed to me by an ordinary skeleton. :cool:

Example for a NPC and potential party member encounter:
Screenshot - 2021_03_20 18_48_27.png

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I remember this, it looks cool. Less is more. Also I'm digging radial menu, that is awesome.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I think the neatest thing about this is that is had a radial menu, movement and spell targeting markers and several other modern UI elements while still having those EGA graphics.

Yeah, exactly. I seem to remember a few similar games with the same approach, AKARUUK? Unknown Realm?

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
The radial menu is really neat. You click once on a character and you get your movement options. A second click brings up the radial menu.
There you got three choices: Wait the round, attack, use a skill. If you've got an archer you get shown the range. You can also click on
your enemies to see their class, movement range and their level.

The game also doesn't stop you from getting killed in your second fight,
if you're stubbornly set to explore where you maybe shouldn't venture
with your feeble lvl one party.:)

You got a journal with general directions of your quests, but no hand
holding in any other kind. You're free to roam and ignore your quests.

Combat log example:
Screenshot - 2021_03_20 19_21_46.png

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Map style gives me a little bit if a Xyphus vibe mixed in with a little Shining Force.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Damn I'm loving all these newsposts on obscure games. Another one I hadn't even heard of it.

Looks interesting.

nlfortier

Esturia Games
Developer
Anybody know if this will be getting a GOG release?
I would love to put my game on GoG, but from what I recall it is difficult for unknown indies to get their games on the store. Maybe I should give it a shot though.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anybody know if this will be getting a GOG release?
I would love to put my game on GoG, but from what I recall it is difficult for unknown indies to get their games on the store. Maybe I should give it a shot though.
I would buy it instantly if on GOG. I tend to avoid Steam for the most part.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
It's a pretty enjoyable game, you won't find complex mechanics or interesting characters in here, but there's plenty of well-paced turn-based combat, comfy exploration, and generic but concise writing with some little C&C every now and then. It's a fine purchase, just don't expect it being as good as, say, Knights of the Chalice, as this is a way more streamlined game.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
OMG this reminds me a little of Shining Force (the overworld battles).

Will you look into making it more complex over time?

nlfortier

Esturia Games
Developer
OMG this reminds me a little of Shining Force (the overworld battles).

Will you look into making it more complex over time?

It definitely takes some inspiration from Shining Force. It's one of the few RPGs from that era that combine exploration with tactical combat, which I loved. I probably won't add any more complexity at this point, but I do intend to make a new game at some point that will probably build on the complexity of this one.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'll buy from itch.io is releases are updated (or don't need updating). I'm not sure how updating purchases work on itch.io.

nlfortier

Esturia Games
Developer
I'll buy from itch.io is releases are updated (or don't need updating). I'm not sure how updating purchases work on itch.io.
Unfortunately, itch.io doesn't have a great updating process. I just released an update today. You would need to download the new version and copy the data folder from the old version into the updated version's folder.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
I've just finished Battle for Esturia. With exploration and sidequests you get a good eleven hours out of it.
Also, when you are undecided if to get it, I'd urge you to try it out in Steam's refund timeframe,
you'll get a good feel for the game in the first two hours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom