Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mandalore’s review is pretty spot on; great magic system, interesting setting and characters but samey combat encounters, clearly unfinished and no conclusive ending to the story
Such a shame, I enjoyed it much more than Pillars of Eternity

Poseidon00

Arcane
Tyranny's world has a lot of potential. The concepts are relatively unique and work well together, the power of Archons is earned by forging a legend, evil has long took over the world, every Archon brings a new magic symbol into existence for regular mages to use, it's all pretty good. There are 4 major paths and lots of ways to do things differently inside of them.

It's the execution that was flawed. They made the Scarlet Chrorus out to be badasses in the short stories, but when you meet them they all swear like edgy teens and come off as tryhards more so than hardened killers. The third chapter was obviously rushed. Combat is a breeze on all but the highest difficulty, and even then i'm sure better players than me still find it easy.

But I can't help but enjoy Tyranny. I see what they were trying to go for and I like it. The setting remains one of my all time favorites even though there is little chance it will get expanded upon.

Hellion

Arcane
Wtf was the whole point of "The Agent of The Evil Overlord" thing, when you can't even play as a loyalist?

After the Bastard's Wound DLC, you do get an option at the very end to speak with Kyros and tell zim/zer "I did everything in your name, because both the Disfavored and the Chorus are totally incompetent and couldn't pacify the region" or something like that.

copebot

Learned
Tyranny's world has a lot of potential. The concepts are relatively unique and work well together, the power of Archons is earned by forging a legend, evil has long took over the world, every Archon brings a new magic symbol into existence for regular mages to use, it's all pretty good. There are 4 major paths and lots of ways to do things differently inside of them.

It's the execution that was flawed. They made the Scarlet Chrorus out to be badasses in the short stories, but when you meet them they all swear like edgy teens and come off as tryhards more so than hardened killers. The third chapter was obviously rushed. Combat is a breeze on all but the highest difficulty, and even then i'm sure better players than me still find it easy.

But I can't help but enjoy Tyranny. I see what they were trying to go for and I like it. The setting remains one of my all time favorites even though there is little chance it will get expanded upon.

On the hardest difficulty it starts off incredibly challenging, requiring a special build or lots of cheesing. By the mid game you are an untouchable god who cannot die. I imagine that on the lower difficulties you just start off invulnerable and become even more godlike.

Aarwolf

Learned
wrong

Setting yes, characters yes, playing a judge yes, death to kyros' enemies yes.

Nah, I barely remember NPCs (companions and others alike), except for Bleden Mark and Tunon or maybe Lantry. Others? Lot of talking, nothing to remember.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Characters definitely not. Do you remember the time where you ask Barik if he can touch his weewee? Deep characters right there.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Characters definitely not. Do you remember the time where you ask Barik if he can touch his weewee? Deep characters right there.

How is that a negative example, it's an obvious question to want to ask. Wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the details Avellone included in his character write-up.

Fishy

Savant

Errr, I thought bullying Barik into losing the armour was a pretty cool questline. It becomes clear over time that he sees it as Kyros' will and a weird 'favour' and would rather not touch it. But you have authority over him so ultimately can force him into going with it just because you want to see what happens. After this dude served you and did everything you asked him, including wiping out his own faction. That was Tyranny at its finest imho.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex

Errr, I thought bullying Barik into losing the armour was a pretty cool questline. It becomes clear over time that he sees it as Kyros' will and a weird 'favour' and would rather not touch it. But you have authority over him so ultimately can force him into going with it just because you want to see what happens. After this dude served you and did everything you asked him, including wiping out his own faction. That was Tyranny at its finest imho.

Barik is loyal to you through the whole game, but throughout the game he warns you not to push him. In the end you can destroy everything he values and holds dear in life and his great retaliation is whining. Choice and consequences, so deep.

Fishy

Savant

Barik is loyal to you through the whole game, but throughout the game he warns you not to push him. In the end you can destroy everything he values and holds dear in life and his great retaliation is whining. Choice and consequences, so deep.

But that's the point. Over the course of the game you absolutely break him. By the end he's a glorified underling and you've risen so far above him he can't touch you.That's the point of tyrannical authority, consequences only flow downwards.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex

But that's the point. Over the course of the game you absolutely break him. By the end he's a glorified underling and you've risen so far above him he can't touch you.That's the point of tyrannical authority, consequences only flow downwards.

No, it's just another example, out of countless, of Tyranny's inconsistent shit-tier edgelord writing.

Fishy

Savant

No, it's just another example, out of countless, of Tyranny's inconsistent shit-tier edgelord writing.

To each their own I guess. I thought it was great that you be a complete bastard and push past Barik's bravado, bullying him into compliance. And in doing so, you basically force him to face the truth: that his bravado is an act and he's just yet another broken puppet of Kyros and doesn't have the strength to go against it.

Yes, that's a choice, you can choose not to push him. The consequences are that if you're being a nice person, he's still a bit like his old self, and his pride is safe. If you force him to comply, the consequence is that you have taken the armour from him and made him accept that he's effectively a loyal weakling. Oh, and you can get pieces of the armour forged into a weapon I think. As the voice of Kyros, I get to abuse my authority on a whim. That this results in breaking the will of a loyal companion is consequence enough for me, I don't need a plot twist where Barik gets mad at me and crowns himself king of the Tiers.

I remember Verse having a lot of history with Voices of Nerat, and at the time that felt interesting, but in the end it didn't really stick with me. Turning living-armour Barik into a weak-willed naked minion however? I liked that. I played the game as a Kyros loyalist, and felt like I was going down the "harsh but fair" kind of conduct, but here? That was my little guilty pleasure. I just wanted to know if we could, didn't care if we should. And once it was done and after seeing his reaction, I thought "Man, I'm such a bastard". And then I lost interest in him altogether because he was just a broken toy.

Delterius

Arcane
I was going down the "harsh but fair" kind of conduct, but here? That was my little guilty pleasure.
I loved these little moments of Tyranny. Every time I got to bend people to the will of Kyros was great like with Eb and the Vendrien Guard. Even the little moments of arbitrage between two persons was an unique position for CRPGs to explore.

Last edited:

Sannom

Augur
It's the execution that was flawed. They made the Scarlet Chrorus out to be badasses in the short stories, but when you meet them they all swear like edgy teens and come off as tryhards more so than hardened killers.
I would disagree with that... the short story featuring Chorus scouts showed that only one member was a true badass, the mute lady who ends up killing their leader. And the other showed a high-ranking member and Nerat themselves. We get to see the rabbles in the game, and yeah, it ain't pretty.

Testownia

Mandalore’s review is pretty spot on; great magic system, interesting setting and characters but samey combat encounters, clearly unfinished and no conclusive ending to the story
Such a shame, I enjoyed it much more than Pillars of Eternity

There's no conclusive end since it was only the first part of a larger story. Once again, people - they're not even pretending they're not ripping off The Black Company series. I can guarantee you that, if there was a next game, once you defeat Kyros it would turn out she was holding back an even greater evil at bay. Probably her fucking husband, just like in the novels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom