Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Golden Fall 2 Is Now a Thing

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Golden Fall 2; Multiple Languages; Ofer Rubinstein

There's a new, graphical roguelike available on Steam called Golden Fall 2. It's currently on a just released sale for $5.36US which is a savings of 10%. Here's the feature spread:

Golden Fall 2 is a single character dungeon crawl RPG focused on exploration of an engaging and diverse world.

Simultaneous Turn-based Combat
Combat follows a simultaneous turn-based system inspired by roguelikes, but the game's environments are lovingly hand-crafted to provide interesting challenges and rewarding exploration to the player.

Deep Character System
A deep character system allows players to become mighty warriors, powerful wizards or balanced hybrids, with dozens of weapons, armors, skills and magic spells to choose from.

Acquire Treasure, Experience and Equipment
In Golden Fall 2, you play as a young man thrown into ancient sewers. Initially finding yourself without a weapon, you must delve deeper and explore the depths for treasure and experience before you can return to the surface.

Supports English and Hebrew
One of the few games on Steam that also have Hebrew translation.

There's even a demo for those of you that want to try it out. Looks somewhat legit, though I'm more a fan of the random dungeon generator as opposed to the hand crafted worlds.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I should have been more clear. I'm more of a fan of the random dungeon generators in roguelikes as opposed to the hand crafted worlds. In most actual roguelikes, most of the time you'll be in a dungeon. How fun is it to play it again if you know where everything is in those dungeons.

While not a roguelike, I saw a video about a guy talking about people who made character builds for Underrail. He was saying that several of them talk about not bothering to put points in to trap based skills because they've memorized where all the traps are. In a roguelike with static dungeons, it'll eventually become a non-game after the first few play throughs because of this. This item is in this chest. This shrine is in that corner. These monsters are in this hallway. That make sense?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah, that I agree with. I would never have replayed sword of fargoal if it was static maps each time. 3-5 times at most.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
screen_2560x1440_2021-03-20_15-35-51.jpg

Codex Year of the Donut
He was saying that several of them talk about not bothering to put points in to trap based skills because they've memorized where all the traps are. In a roguelike with static dungeons
This is an area where traditional crpgs can benefit from randomization.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
To be honest, I abused the save system in BG2. Saving before traps, before enemies, and etc. heh

fork

I should have been more clear. I'm more of a fan of the random dungeon generators in roguelikes as opposed to the hand crafted worlds. In most actual roguelikes, most of the time you'll be in a dungeon. How fun is it to play it again if you know where everything is in those dungeons.

While not a roguelike, I saw a video about a guy talking about people who made character builds for Underrail. He was saying that several of them talk about not bothering to put points in to trap based skills because they've memorized where all the traps are. In a roguelike with static dungeons, it'll eventually become a non-game after the first few play throughs because of this. This item is in this chest. This shrine is in that corner. These monsters are in this hallway. That make sense?

Which is kinda irrelevant. When you reach that point, you should be done with the game anyway.
In most games, the procedural generation is simply there to save time and resources for the devs. It's the lazy way out. Proc gen is just fucking boring and ugly, because while all rooms look different and each playthrough is different, most of them look and feel the same regardless. A handcrafted whatever (dungeon, city, landscape) done well is always better than randomly generated wastelands.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
T6tkVZq.png

Okay who paid 7 bucks to the codex as advertising budget for this game?
In the codex 2021 fundraiser.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Which is kinda irrelevant. When you reach that point, you should be done with the game anyway.

I played Fallout and Fallout 2 many times after I'd had the games memorized, just because they were excellent and replayable games - but aren't dungeon crawls either.

In most games, the procedural generation is simply there to save time and resources for the devs. It's the lazy way out. Proc gen is just fucking boring and ugly, because while all rooms look different and each playthrough is different, most of them look and feel the same regardless. A handcrafted whatever (dungeon, city, landscape) done well is always better than randomly generated wastelands.

Making a decent dungeon generator, especially with lots and lots of different elements, might be easier for the nice map designers but it's certainly not easier for the programmers. Decent dungeon generators can be very complex, especially when you're making dungeons from raw tiles instead of just linking prefab rooms. Dungeons of Dredmor, which is an excellent game, has a pretty fantastic generator. Each time you play through the game, it can be a struggle to find what you need to keep going because you don't know where things are each time. If all you have is a Dungeon, and your whole environment is just that dungeon, it's fairly easy once you figure out where everything is. The challenge of the roguelike becomes a moot point because you know where the money chests are and you know where the shops are. That's really all you need to know are those two things and the game difficulty goes out the window.

fork

Fair enough.

It's just that this is a pet peeve of mine I guess; level design is one of the most important things in games in general, and RPGs in particular. It's one of the first things that come to mind when I think about what kind of game I'd love to make, and one of the first things that come to mind when I think about my favourite games and past playthroughs. I just don't understand how a dev wouldn't want to have the world of his game designed by hand. Randomise item locations, randomise trap locations, if you absolutely have to, randomise encounters, but do your levels by hand!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I see what you're saying though. The big challenge beyond the generation, especially when you get beyond the dungeons, is how you hook in the player. Look at Fallout 4's "radiant quests" as an example of why random quest generation can be bad. Preston Garvey is a very, very good reason to be skeptical of random generation of content. You'd think a company as large as Bethesda with all of their resources could have done something better than what they did there. Of course, go the other route and look at Mount & Blade which is entirely happenstance and random generation and doesn't annoy the shit out of the player. It has it's own problems, like being a little dry, but M&B is far better.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I love random level generation in roguelikes - and not-so-much in everything else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom