Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Necromunda: Hired Gun from Streum On Studio

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well, the main thing I reacted to was the rails on top of the guns, for sights and stuff. I just never imagined 40k stuff had that. It was either this way or that way, stamped machine guns with no customization.

The W40K PnP games (like the aforementioned Dark Heresy, Only War, Rogue Trader and Deathwatch) have a ton of various tacticool weapon upgrades like red dot sights, range finders, foregrips, bipods etc, not to mention a fuckton of various custom munitions. A gun in 40K can be as pimped out as your stereotypical SF M4 (if the owner can afford all that, of course), so having rails and such makes sense.

There is of course the religious believe in not tampering with certain things lest the Machine Spirit might take offence, but with ordinary weapons this doesn’t amount to much (putting a scope and a foregrip on an autogun is not going to make anyone upset). Also quite a lot of people don’t really care and aren’t above jury-rigging all kinds of things if it helps them survive (IIRC the Only War rulebook talked about this in the Imperial Guard context quite a bit).

I guess that people had the impression that weapon customisation is not a thing in 40K due to the table top rules, which were always extremely simplistic (for fairly obvious reasons) in that regard (ie IG squad has two guys with a heavy weapon, one with special weapon a sargeant with pistol & chainsword and six guys with las guns, every weapons has the same stats), but customised weapons were always a thing in the Black Library books as well as in PnP, both of which can afford to take a more detailed look on how the setting works on a micro level.

Last edited:

orcinator

Liturgist
Well, the main thing I reacted to was the rails on top of the guns, for sights and stuff. I just never imagined 40k stuff had that. It was either this way or that way, stamped machine guns with no customization.

The W40K PnP games (like the aforementioned Dark Heresy, Only War, Rogue Trader and Deathwatch) have a ton of various tacticool weapon upgrades like red dot sights, range finders, foregrips, bipods etc, not to mention a fuckton of various custom munitions. A gun in 40K can be as pimped out as your stereotypical SF M4 (if the owner can afford all that, of course), so having rails and such makes sense.

There is of course the religious believe in not tampering with certain things lest the Machine Spirit might take offence, but with ordinary weapons this doesn’t amount to much (putting a scope and a foregrip on an autogun is not going to make anyone upset). Also quite a lot of people don’t really care and aren’t above jury-rigging all kinds of things if it helps them survive (IIRC the Only War rulebook talked about this in the Imperial Guard context quite a bit).

I guess that people had the impression that weapon customisation is not a thing in 40K due to the table top rules, which were always extremely simplistic (for fairly obvious reasons) in that regard (ie IG squad has two guys with a heavy weapon, one with special weapon a sargeant with pistol & chainsword and six guys with las guns, every weapons has the same stats), but customised weapons were always a thing in the Black Library books as well as in PnP, both of which can afford to take a more detailed look on how the setting works on a micro level.

The PnP is for FILTHY SECONDARIES but the actual Necromunda wargames have special scopes and sights you can buy. You also had plenty of model kits with optional scopes and other accessories that didn't actually have rules (or you could make them yourself).
Not to mention the ever detestable primaries have gun rails:
01.jpg

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why are orks in Warhammer? Makes it very generic since you can see "orcs" in other fantasies. There are infinite species they can design to make Wakhammer a unique universe. But no. There have to be orks.
You cannot be unironically saying that the Ork Boyz aren't some of the funnest races in 40K. A giant race of weird mushroom people that can bend reality just from their belief alone, only they only want to believe things to make more war? They're great.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Orks are basically a comic relief of the setting (which originally started as a comedy in itself, IIRC the original 40K/Rogue Trader rulebook had sample scenarios which included Space Marines fighting against a pudding worshiping cult and stuff like that, the grimdark tone that 40K is now famous for came a bit later), also especially in 40K the Orks are quite different from what "orcs" are generally portrayed as in other settings, the very idea of "sci-fi orcs" that talk and act like stereotypical chavs is somewhat original in itself.

Generally I would say that being generic is largely the point both in WHF and in 40K, as it probably makes the setting more accessible at the first glance and fans of other settings can quickly find stuff that they like (ie. Tyranids = Aliens, Tau = generic mecha anime, Necrons = Terminators + ancient Egypt etc).

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Generally I would say that being generic is largely the point both in WHF and in 40K, as it probably makes the setting more accessible at the first glance and fans of other settings can quickly find stuff that they like (ie. Tyranids = Aliens, Tau = generic mecha anime, Necrons = Terminators + ancient Egypt etc).
So generic that Blizzard made millions ripping it off, lol.

silentsod

Barely Literate
I bounced off the studio's prior two games so naturally I will be buying this one regardless of how it reviews.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
You cannot be unironically saying that the Ork Boyz aren't some of the funnest races in 40K. A giant race of weird mushroom people that can bend reality just from their belief alone, only they only want to believe things to make more war? They're great.
Sometimes even being funny can ruin your experience in dark setting. But I'm talking about immersion. It's like you get the cake but it's filled with salt and you can't savour it. That's how orks ruin the taste in Warhammer, visually. I would like they change their visual look and the name to something unique, keep everything else. I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

Last edited:

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The Orks are funny but also deeply horrifying though. Think of the sheer bliss they drink in, even when killing just each other. They are funny to us as observers, but in-world they are absolutely terrifying monstrosities.

There's nothing immersion breaking about them.

A killer clown on a screen can be funny, but a real killer clown trying to kill you is not.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
The Orks are funny but also deeply horrifying though. Think of the sheer bliss they drink in, even when killing just each other. They are funny to us as observers, but in-world they are absolutely terrifying monstrosities.

There's nothing immersion breaking about them.

A kiler clown on a screen can be funny, but a real killer clown trying to kill you is not.

That's ok. I'm only saying they look the same like in other fantasies. This is what's bothering me deeply.

lightbane

Arcane
IIRC, one of the latest theories of WH40k is that everything is grimdark because Orks wished it so, in order to have endless fighting.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
A giant race of weird mushroom people that can bend reality just from their belief alone

And this means that in a sustained gunfight, when masses of soldiers are clashing and dying all around, you could theoretically kill boyz by pulling off a decent enough impression of the *pew pew* sound with your voice while swinging around an empty lasgun. Majestic!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
A giant race of weird mushroom people that can bend reality just from their belief alone

And this means that in a sustained gunfight, when masses of soldiers are clashing and dying all around, you could theoretically kill boyz by pulling off a decent enough impression of the *pew pew* sound with your voice while swinging around an empty lasgun. Majestic!

this is actually a thing

It is rumored among some areas of the Adeptus Mechanicus that the constant battles against Orks have made the Legio Destructor increasingly unorthodox in its outlook and behavior, particularly in its attitude to battle and combat. The Princeps and crews of the Legio Destructor hunger for battle with an unusual exuberance. So far this thirst for battle has been viewed as a useful attribute, especially against foes other than Orks who find the Legion highly unsettling opponents. The Fabricator General himself is believed to have expressed surprise on hearing that the Titans of the Legio Destructor are now fitted with sonic amplifiers so that the Legion can reply to the Orks' howls with their own battle chant: "big death, Big Death, BIG DEATH!"

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Orks in 40k are one of the most based factions out there. In a grimdark setting there is something refreshing about a race of savage mooks who just want to fight and have a laugh doing so. There isn't all that much hope in the 40k setting, but but it is comforting to know that some people are enjoying themselves. With that said, I find their trashcan aesthetic to be incredibly pleasing with some really cool unit and vehicle design. Greenskin also have some really cool casters, which tends to get overlooked by fans when talking about psykers in 40k.

If a Wizard appeared and forced me to choose who I want to be reincarnated as in the 40k universe, there's no doubt in my mind that I'd be an Ork. Sure the life expectancy isn't great (whose is?), but at least I'll have a lot of fun before I die horriby.

Codex Year of the Donut
Let me ask you this. Do orcs live in one giant extended universe? If so this universe is creatively broken.
SepLnUp_Orsimer_b4%26d2.png
28416696520_7434cda377_w.jpg
JRR Tolkien said:
They are squat, broad, flat-nosed, sallow-skinned, with wide mouths and slant eyes

Green skin actually fits in a poetic sort of way, because sallow is another name for willow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom