Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Well you were almost right...

I decided to spoil the ending for myself as I am not going to play TOW or this DLC any time soon, but when I saw the twist/revelation I immediately thought "I could have seen this one coming from miles away. They couldn't come up with anything better?"

Or the big reveal at the end.

This is basically a scheme by the Umbrella Company or any sci fi thriller that involves a plot involving parasites or symbiotes that can influence their hosts. A villain who wants to create a better or happier world by infecting everyone with a parasite to make them "better" people. (isn't this the plot of Resident Evil 4?)
They'll probably starve to death but they will at least die with a grin on their faces.
I was kind of surprised that the reveal did not include that he himself was also infected by a parasite that put him under control of the big bug. But him worshiping it is pretty much the next thing, treating it as royalty and even having the delusion that it can understand him and agrees with his plans.

Yeez, even Ulysses from Lonesome Road had more of a philosophy, wanting to break nations because he thought they were corrupt or flawed. And because the player believes in them.
Sure it barely holds up but it is still a bit above the plot of this stinker. Or perhaps equal.

Watching the villain being eaten by the bug instead does not even count as irony, as like the rest of this DLC is it not cleverly written.
I honestly feel that the makers of this DLC just took the plot from some other games, or books, comics, etc, and transplanted it in this DLC without doing any effort on it to do some kind of plot development idea of their own.

This and the previous DLC are so incredibly weak in what they offer, I feel people who may have bought a season pass have been conned.
This is as pathetic as I felt that the Mass Effect 3 DLCs were, and those of ME2 honestly were not any better.

Hell, if the budgets of these DLCs could have been spend on post game content instead. What is the point of expanding the world with these places and side stories if they are not interesting?

flyingjohn

Arcane
Just close the thread and let it die in peace.
When I think of how Tim & Co are going to embarrass themselves with their next game... Well, it is not the most pleasant thought

Does any of the oldtimers works on that Skyshit clone?
Embarrassed?
Tim found his pension plan in the form of the Microsoft buyout .
Leonard is gleeful at the reception of outer worlds.It is i probably his most beloved game he ever worked on.
Sawyer doesn't give a fuck and is more interested in bikes then games currently.

They are living the dream.Using somebody else money to make mediocrity to be sold for free on game pass.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
YT within 1 week

Complete Lore & Full History of the Ancient Gods Part 2 Ending Explained - Doom Eternal New Lore - 60K views

Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods Part 2 Ending Explained - 56K views

NEW Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods Part 2 Story Details, Lore And More! - 46K views

Outer worlds - Peril on Gorgon, Murder on Eridanos lore - 0

purupuru

Learned
Is there any kind of sales data for the dlcs or did anyone at Obsidian say anything? My impression is that the initial hype of the game being "the FNV clone made by Obsidian" has completely died down, and no one really cares about it at this point, not even the crowd of less initiated. If they do make a TOW2 (which I think they will, it's not like they are thriving with better ideas), it could flop harder than deadfire.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Leonard is gleeful at the reception of outer worlds.It is i probably his most beloved game he ever worked on.
I think Leonard is practicing stoicism, always have extremely low expectations, this way, even the most inane things will appear wonderful.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Humm... this is a massive pile of shit.

Fanboy expectation: But... but... if they invest more money in it, it wont be a massive pile of shit this time.

Happens all the time: Hey guise, you gave us more money for our previous pile of shit, so, of course, you wanna MORE of the pile of shit.

There's is that interview where they get asked about 100 questions, Leonard gives an answer "we didn't have money for this feature" at least 50 times. And this was pre-launch interview by the way. So that far-fetched to assume they could do more with a bigger budget.

So that far-fetched to assume they could do more with a bigger budget.

I don't think the whole corporations-and-all-men-are-stupid writing would be different with a bigger budget. Or even prettier facial animations and hair...

Honestly, they seem to have forgotten who their base is (white western males)... The premise had some promise, at least as far as spoofing corporatism run amuck. But as you say, the all/most men stupid and/or evil and womyn smart and/or good was a bit much - bordering bewteen cuck simulator and post modern feminist fanfic.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Honestly, they seem to have forgotten who their base is (white western males)... The premise had some promise, at least as far as spoofing corporatism run amuck. But as you say, the all/most men stupid and/or evil and womyn smart and/or good was a bit much - bordering bewteen cuck simulator and post modern feminist fanfic.

Given what a huge success Horizon Zero Dawn was, most folks will put up with this stuff if they like the game.

Codex Year of the Donut

Given what a huge success Horizon Zero Dawn was, most folks will put up with this stuff if they like the game.
someone link the hzd quest making fun of aloy

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Horizon Zero Dawn is different kind of game having open world, supporting background lore and great combat. Writing in HZD was the least interesting part of it if not sub-par, yet it managed to become success. I wouldn't say that Obsidian should do full open world as well to get a successful game.

purupuru

Learned
As annoying as Aloy was she wasn't the biggest Mary Sue in the game, her "mother" is, by far. I'd say Dr. Sobeck is more obnoxious than any single female character in TOW, but the good thing is she's dead and only appear in the occasional holograms. And there are several male characters in leadership positions that are portrayed as smart and competent. In fact I recall I was discontent with the king being too reasonable and ruins any kind of dramatic tension.

Some folks, no doubt... Personally I don't have any experience with Horizon Zero Dawn so I can't comment on it's wokeness/crypto-misandry. The sales of HZD, were they in line with other open world/sand box games? All I recall was the stink a lot of Sony fanboys made when the game went from Sony exclusive to PC port.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
It's interesting they outsourced some of level design, not just art assets, for DLC to Black Shamrock. It's the developer of Paranoia CRPG and one of the studios under Virtuoso (which did Switch port and also some art outsourcing for the base game).

https://www.linkedin.com/in/carloazzari/

Conceptualising, designing and building levels and quests for games like The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/gerard-doyle-pf/

The Outer Worlds: Peril On Gorgon DLC
Lead Environment Artist:
The Black Shamrock studio was tasked in creating 3 large Interior spaces for the DLC: Peril On Gorgon
My role was to solely dress and light 1 large Interior space which was the OCI Facility.
I also worked on the other 3 interiors with the other artists and worked on lighting and dressing and making sure everything was up to task for each milestone right up to the end of the production from our side of the project.

Black Shamrock also worked on Grounded.

They outsourced even more quest designs to them for the second DLC: https://rdbwork.wixsite.com/portfolio

I was really lucky to be able to work on Obsidian's "The Outer Worlds" thanks to their co-dev partnership with Blackshamrock. We worked on two DLCs for Obsidian's "The Outer Worlds".

The first DLC, "Peril on Gorgon", we contributed largely from an art, level design and gameplay perspective.

On the second DLC, "Murder on Eridanos", Obsidian expanded on our responsibilities with them to include quest design. We designed and implemented 10+ side quests on top of fulfilling our previous roles.

KVVRR

Learned
It's interesting they outsourced some of level design, not just art assets, for DLC to Black Shamrock. It's the developer of Paranoia CRPG and one of the studios under Virtuoso (which did Switch port and also some art outsourcing for the base game).

https://www.linkedin.com/in/carloazzari/

Conceptualising, designing and building levels and quests for games like The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/gerard-doyle-pf/

The Outer Worlds: Peril On Gorgon DLC
Lead Environment Artist:
The Black Shamrock studio was tasked in creating 3 large Interior spaces for the DLC: Peril On Gorgon
My role was to solely dress and light 1 large Interior space which was the OCI Facility.
I also worked on the other 3 interiors with the other artists and worked on lighting and dressing and making sure everything was up to task for each milestone right up to the end of the production from our side of the project.

Black Shamrock also worked on Grounded.

They outsourced even more quest designs to them for the second DLC: https://rdbwork.wixsite.com/portfolio

I was really lucky to be able to work on Obsidian's "The Outer Worlds" thanks to their co-dev partnership with Blackshamrock. We worked on two DLCs for Obsidian's "The Outer Worlds".

The first DLC, "Peril on Gorgon", we contributed largely from an art, level design and gameplay perspective.

On the second DLC, "Murder on Eridanos", Obsidian expanded on our responsibilities with them to include quest design. We designed and implemented 10+ side quests on top of fulfilling our previous roles.
I wonder if they're responsible for the new loading screen art made from the 3D models instead of traditional 2d drawings.
We designed and implemented 10+ side quests on top of fulfilling our previous roles.
I did about 4 of them and they were 5 minute fetchquests with very inconsequential characters. They really weren't engaging at all.
One of them had me loot 4 corpses over an entire area and they were surrounded by enemies, I assume they wanted me to fight them but I was able to just sprint past the 4 of them without getting hit at all.
Other just had me search for a farm robot. Would've been a bit fun if the game didn't inmediatedly tell me where it was with a marker. Once I told it to go back to the "town" it started very slowly walking towards it, I just sprinted back to it and the quirky female engineer that gives names to robots (totally not parvati) talked to me as if the robot was right beside her except that it was still waddling his way half way through.
They really, really shouldn't outsource any type of quest anymore.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Black Shamrock on Glassdoor with an impressive 2.9 rating:

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Black-Shamrock-Reviews-E2392372.htm

Aren't they the same company that dropped Paranoia on the digital stores without warning, let alone any marketing? That was... weird.

Kinda weird to outsource side quest design, but okay. I think KVVRR summed up the review of the actual quests, it seems.

Maybe they can hire the Hardsuit quest designers if any were laid off, or if Hardsuit had any.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
They're using those M$ bucks to avoid working at all. Incredible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom