Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tetra Cube Has Squared Up to Release

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: DDal; Roguelike; Tetra Cube

Tetra Cube has been released upon the world and on Steam. While there's no release discount on this one, the asking price is $6.99US, so budget accordingly. The game bills itself as a turn based roguelike with randomized enemies and levels. Here's a trailer and some of the features:

Turn-based Strategy Roguelike
Tetra Cube is a single-play turn-based strategy game. Player must explore maps and grow characters to combat enemy threats so that Nae and Dio can successfully defeat the Cube. Since it has the characteristics of roguelike, the structure of the map, the placement of enemies, and acquisition of items are random, so it requires accurate judgment according to the situation.

Characters
Each character has a clear personality. Dio is good at using weapons, but Nae can't use them! Using strategies that bring out the character's personality, you can lead the battle efficiently.

Survivors
There are survivors left in the lab who survived the attack, and players need their help to achieve their goals.Help the survivors defeat the enemy!

Hacking
Nae can hack enemies and turn them into allies. The game of the game varies greatly depending on how you use hacking.

It's a glaring contrast to a lot of sci-fi games in terms of art style. I've always thought the overly clean, sterile environment vibe is just as scary as dimly lit areas. Probably because of movies like 2001 and Phantasm.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Looks Spaceland but worse and with Anime.
Since Spaceland is not exactly top of the crop idk for whom this even is.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Looks Spaceland but worse and with Anime.

Spaceland actually looked somewhat interesting to me, but I've not played it. It was just in my discovery queue and I thought, "That could be fun."

Why are we suddenly getting all these newsposts about weaboo roguelikes that nobody cares about?

You mean the one anime game? All these ONE newposts about weeb roguelikes? Because it just came out, and the last word in that question is the most important one.

V_K

Arcane
This looks pretty weeb to me.

ss_3802d7e061cb1fab15286677ce2a36cd2edca0d0.600x338.jpg

This too. Westernized, but still weeb (top-down, big heads, child-like appearance)

ss_64c09ff69944a4f077f6523b6b1d01c89b124b65.600x338.jpg

And roguelikes are dime a dozen these days, if we're going to have newsposts about every single one of them, front page will quickly turn into a roguelike version of RPGWatch.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Spaceland actually looked somewhat interesting to me, but I've not played it. It was just in my discovery queue and I thought, "That could be fun."

The franchise was made by prior mobile developers.

Those are their prior games.
They are among the better mobile games, no In App purchase bullshit, and it is a nice experience, clearly inspired by King's Bounty and Heroes of Might and Magic.
Generally competent games, from the era when mobile gaming still had the hope to not be complete bullshit. I finished them all on various flights and trainrides, I don't think any of them are above 10 hours gameplay, but they are decently challenging on hard and have a little bit of depth.
Spaceland is kinda the same game, but nu XCOM inspired instead of Kings Bounty/HoMM. Since I like KB/HoMM more than XCOM I never really finished Spaceland, but I think it is a bit longer than the three BRaveland games. I wouldn't pay more than 5$ for any of the games because of the mobile origin however.

They don't really have a niche anymore, because the mobile market died and became a gambling hall and there is no draught for niche tactics games anymore.
Between games like Battle Brothers, Urtuk the Desolation and Fell Seal : Arbiters Mark these games are completely outclassed, but still a nice piece of their time.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

The solution to get your fix for HOMM3 hard-on.

So magical .... and sexy beyond your wildest dreams.

But yarr... thars more

You know you love the mobile browser look.

flushfire

Augur
I could never stomach this art style. Probably why I could never get into JRPGs as well...
Some jrpgs have good art style despite being anime, but chibi is one of the worst. This also has a flash game vibe on top.

V_K

Arcane
Why are we suddenly getting all these newsposts about weaboo roguelikes that nobody cares about?
Would you rather have Baldur's Gate 3 character romance news updates again? Or the 100th Outer Worlds news update? Or any of Infinitron's press kit bullshit he posts?
See, the advantage of those things is that they are much less frequent. So important content doesn't get lost among them.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Characters
Each character has a clear personality. Dio is good at using weapons, but Nae can't use them! Using strategies that bring out the character's personality, you can lead the battle efficiently.

I'd expect "personalities" to be like "stop touching my tits" when poking with the mouse or "hhmmmm baby.. I like it." Or one grabs your mouse cursor and says "FUCK OFF PERVERT!"

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Some jrpgs have good art style despite being anime, but chibi is one of the worst.

Agreed. I can understand why they did this on the older 8bit systems due to fitting characters in the area of a tile, but I never understood why that trend continued beyond the NES and GameBoy where the roots of the JRPG are.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
They don't really have a niche anymore, because the mobile market died and became a gambling hall and there is no draught for niche tactics games anymore.

Wait, what? Mobile market died? Can clarify?

Also the only not-that disgusting art stile with anime I know of is in Elona+.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom