Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Age of Decadence - Tips, Tricks and Spoilers

Absinthe

Arcane
Also what kind of characters are suitable to winning vs Agathoth without bola or bombs... If any? It's so easy with them it almost feels like cheating, but seems extremely hard to pull off reliably without those.
Throwing. It gets batshit insane THC with high perception and synergy bonuses (all ranged weapons do), plus it ignores DR as its weapon effect (so skip crit, you don't need it). Something like 9-9-4-10-4-4 block+throwing+crafting works great, but you don't really need crafting if you use full Power Armor (although it will hurt your THC and weapon mastery odds but then you can get Alchemy instead for ridiculous berserkers and neurostims).

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
My most recent playthrough killed Agathoth with spamming dagger crits. I'd gone through the AG questline and took every Critical Strike option to boost it, then I used upgraded Neurostimulant for huge AP and just fucked him up.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Also what kind of characters are suitable to winning vs Agathoth without bola or bombs... If any? It's so easy with them it almost feels like cheating, but seems extremely hard to pull off reliably without those.
Throwing. It gets batshit insane THC with high perception and synergy bonuses (all ranged weapons do)
He has higher defense against ranged weapons due to his shield bonus though. Have you done this recently without bolas?

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
One of the problems I had with the game is that some paths are awesome (Thieves has sooooo many free skill points). And some are really difficult and have much less opportunities for free training (Praetor).

Absinthe

Arcane
He has higher defense against ranged weapons due to his shield bonus though. Have you done this recently without bolas?
Ranged weapons get high THC easier than other weapons, since you have two weapons with +3 THC synergy bonuses, and 10 Perception is monster THC for ranged weapons, since 1 point of Per is worth 8 THC for ranged weapons.

The main problem though is not running out of decent ammo, which brings us back to Crafting.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
I just remember having like 10% chance to hit pre-bola on a 10 PER crossbow run, but I don't remember if I used the synergies for thc increases. Used bolter too, which doesn't help with thc.
Makes sense that crafted throwing would do better on the thc front.

agris

Arcane
Patron
One of the problems I had with the game is that some paths are awesome (Thieves has sooooo many free skill points). And some are really difficult and have much less opportunities for free training (Praetor).
I don't think that's a bug, I think that's a feature. You can't have different paths and actual branching without differences. Some paths should be harder and easier. Everything being equal gets you banal results, case in point, 2004 - 2021.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I remember Thieves path actually being god awful during the earlier version because it stretched you too thin by requiring a overly varied skillset, so it's not like a particular path being harder or easier was ever set in stone.

Thief's path seems particularly tailored for metagaming. You can steal everything in Teron and come away with a lot more skill points than most backgrounds, as long as you do everything in the perfect sequence (there's a guide for it, somewhere). Not to mention you can use the healing machine twice, iirc. Most people recognize this as bad design, but for me it was a lot of fun trying to squeeze every little skill point out of my build and starting over countless times until I got what I wanted.

Parabalus

Arcane
Thief's path seems particularly tailored for metagaming. You can steal everything in Teron and come away with a lot more skill points than most backgrounds, as long as you do everything in the perfect sequence (there's a guide for it, somewhere). Not to mention you can use the healing machine twice, iirc. Most people recognize this as bad design, but for me it was a lot of fun trying to squeeze every little skill point out of my build and starting over countless times until I got what I wanted.

You can do both of that with other paths too.

Most paths that deal with Lorenza can do the latter.

Johannes

Arcane
I don't think that's a bug, I think that's a feature. You can't have different paths and actual branching without differences. Some paths should be harder and easier. Everything being equal gets you banal results, case in point, 2004 - 2021.
The issue, if there is one, is that there's no real way to tell about what the different branches entail beforehand. In AoD, you pick a rail to go on, then at some point it has branching rails again. But you don't really get much foresight into what the options entail before you do them, especially in not in Teron. Since you're just a stooge with limited ability to discover what's going on, you'll only get a proper picture when you've done

Comparing the various paths through Teron, anybody done the math on which path gives the most SP? To my mind the options could be most likely

Boatmen -> switch to Aurelian in Maadoran (gets Darius tomb)
Boatmen -> IG
Thieves playthrough straight up
Thieves into IG
Thieves into Aurelians by helping them with the mine (tomb again)

Something else? Assuming every sidequest is done ofc (thieves have more sidequest shit available, with extra reward for the pickpocket girl and the thieving for the bandit camp quest). Some complications depending on the stats, and starting background, on whether you can get both Feng and Cassius trainings, Aemolas village access while in Teron, and so on. And it's not SPs, but the combat trainings of the different guilds help a lot too, if relevant to ones build - melee for thieves, ranged for assassins, and whatever IGs get and at which point, I forget...

agris

Arcane
Patron
The issue, if there is one, is that there's no real way to tell about what the different branches entail beforehand. In AoD, you pick a rail to go on, then at some point it has branching rails again. But you don't really get much foresight into what the options entail before you do them, especially in not in Teron. Since you're just a stooge with limited ability to discover what's going on, you'll only get a proper picture when you've done.
I'm struggling with why that's an issue. Doesn't that reinforce the player's position in the narrative, and the world at large?

Johannes

Arcane
The lack of agency is the usual complaint about the player's position in the narrative, you're really limited in what you can do in a quite artificial way. You can usually do, main quest-wise, what your employer asks - or betray them at scripted places but not elsewhere. Whether or not you can kill a plot character doesn't depend on your skills and interpersonal relations as much as it fitting a predetermined script.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The issue, if there is one, is that there's no real way to tell about what the different branches entail beforehand. In AoD, you pick a rail to go on, then at some point it has branching rails again. But you don't really get much foresight into what the options entail before you do them, especially in not in Teron. Since you're just a stooge with limited ability to discover what's going on, you'll only get a proper picture when you've done.
I'm struggling with why that's an issue. Doesn't that reinforce the player's position in the narrative, and the world at large?

The issue I had with it was that I was left feeling that some storylines got a lot of developer time and some were an afterthought. Also some of the free training opportunities don't make that much sense. Thieves get a bonus to all melee no matter what, but Praetor has to sacrifice points into Cha to get training in... Dagger? A thief can literally do everything in Teron - including a super easy solution to the noble hostage quest for example.

Parabalus

Arcane
Boatmen -> switch to Aurelian in Maadoran (gets Darius tomb)
Boatmen -> IG
Thieves playthrough straight up
Thieves into IG
Thieves into Aurelians by helping them with the mine (tomb again)

Merchant into Aurelian via mine is also good, since you can do the full MG Teron line beforehand (you have to manually move to Maadoran, unlike TG).

Boatman you could get AG4 quest, switch to Aurelian, get the tomb, then actually do AG4 for extra SP, don't think that was ever patched out.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Merchant to aurelian via mine is the best for non-combat, but not sure it's as good as TG for hybrids while you're in Teron itself. Might have to skip militiades due to low combat skills, which is a shame.

Going pure thief until the assassination mission in maadoran, then going up and ratting them out to aurelians showers you in so many delicious SP. No tomb, but you get the extra vial as a bonus.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Merchant to aurelian via mine is the best for non-combat, but not sure it's as good as TG for hybrids while you're in Teron itself. Might have to skip militiades due to low combat skills, which is a shame.

You can do it if you hoard enough bombs and fires. I managed with 4 4 6 physical stats, can prob do with even less.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I wish I hadn't read up about this game. I started playing it a while ago, and it seemed pretty deep and magical - and then I read about how it's cheesed and meta-ed, and that's spoiled it for me :(

Absinthe

Arcane
Thief generally is. They have a lot of Thief-only trainings available. Getting the girl who tries to steal from you in Teron to join Thieves Guild is good for an extra Thief-only training too. And there are lots of small +1 SPs to be had from stealing in the inn and elsewhere, as well as breaking into residences, but those don't require you to be a member of TG faction.

Although Merchant gets a lot of free training in Maadoran. Merchant -> IG defection gets a lot of SP too, if they sell out to Cado first, because you can get Cado's training over Linos's training on top of the other merchant's training and then finish with IG (preferably Kingmaker) training instead of Linos's reduced training. Then you can backstab IG for House Aurelian if you want. If you're going for high SP you typically want a background with high HA rep and collect both Feng and Cassius trainings. 7cha usually works wonders for unlocking bonus training dialogues too. The House Aurelian training is just a reputation check though, not a faction check, so if you do something like a 10 cha build you can probably get it with any faction.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
That reminds me, you can convince Dellar to pay the ransom then kill the bandits and keep the money.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron

You can do it if you hoard enough bombs and fires. I managed with 4 4 6 physical stats, can prob do with even less.
I do like that 4 4 6 you mentioned, never considered that could be used for the god ending while being a talker.

Parabalus

Arcane

I do like that 4 4 6 you mentioned, never considered that could be used for the god ending while being a talker.

You can still space marine all enemies after you get bolter.

Thief generally is. They have a lot of Thief-only trainings available. Getting the girl who tries to steal from you in Teron to join Thieves Guild is good for an extra Thief-only training too. And there are lots of small +1 SPs to be had from stealing in the inn and elsewhere, as well as breaking into residences, but those don't require you to be a member of TG faction.

Although Merchant gets a lot of free training in Maadoran. Merchant -> IG defection gets a lot of SP too, if they sell out to Cado first, because you can get Cado's training over Linos's training on top of the other merchant's training and then finish with IG (preferably Kingmaker) training instead of Linos's reduced training. Then you can backstab IG for House Aurelian if you want (preferably after collecting extra IG training in Maadoran). If you're going for high SP you typically want a background with high HA rep and collect both Feng and Cassius trainings. 7cha usually works wonders for unlocking bonus training dialogues too. The House Aurelian training is just a reputation check though, not a faction check, so if you do something like a 10 cha build you can probably get it with any faction.

Some numbers from an older discussion, should all still hold.

Really good, comprehensive post. I recently played through Teron (485887 Thief) identically - you can also
get the scroll from Antidas' display for +5SP / +2 bc /+1 etiq. during infiltrate
, dunno if that was implied.

I forgot to add +5 sp for the ettiquette scroll, but yeah I meant the complete infiltration including that and the mantra scroll sp. If you don't get the scroll, you can infiltrate bloodlessly, but afaik the only way to get into the bedroom is to DFA the guard.

Does anyone get more faction-specific training than thieves? As commerce I think you can get
15/10(15?)/15 from Zenon/Linos/Cado + 15 Cassius/Feng since you have rep
, which is almost there except Azis' reward "scales".

Thief gets the most, especially if you count the extra sp from using thief skills in the TG quests, but Assassin is close, depending on whether you betray AG for IG in Assassin Quest 2 or not, or join Aurelian start of act 2, and depending on how you want to count +1 CS points. Assassin can also maximize the freebie points in Teron while Thief can't. Thief should also spend at least 15 sp to bump steal to 3 for the Thief prelude, while Assassins should leave steal at 1 (I haven't found anything amazing fo steal, although steal 3 almost pays for itself as a Thief). But the best benefits of the Thief path is a) Killer of Men title and b) Levir's jar in act 2.

Here is the head to head (assuming Thief Cha 7 vs Asassin Cha 7):
Thief prelude +10 (Cado's Locks), +3 skill use / Assassin prelude +1 cs, +2 body count / Mercenary prelude +2 cp, +3 body count
Aziz +10 melee / Fulvio +15 ranged
Livia +15 / Coltan +5 (alchemy)
Lucius +10 CS (Cha 7) / Agatai +10 CS* +15 cp to cs if cs < 6, otherwise +10 cs
TG Quest 1 +2 skill use / AG Quest 1 +1 cp, +1 Word of Honor, +2 body count
Cado's goblet mission +3 skill use / Shanty town thief +1 cs, +1 body count
Feng OR Cassius +15 (+1 cp or +1 cs for killing Cassius) / Feng AND Cassius +30, +1 skill use for Gelbo's Ring (requires betraying Feng. Let Cassius live, get the ring from Feng, then use Persuasion or Lore to get Antidas to accept the ring despite Cassius' snitching)
TG Quest 2-3 +3 cp, +3 skill use, +1 cs, Killer of Men title / AG Quest 2-3 +3 cp, +1 skill use, +1 cs

Instead of AG Quest 2-3, Assassins can betray to IG. Assuming you choose to kill Antidas, you get +3 cp, +2 cs, and the Imperial Guard training +10 melee, +10 block and +10 dodge

Solving Aurelian Outpost + Raider Camp by Terminator path gives +5 cp, +2 cs and a lot of body count.
Solving Aurelian Outpost + Raider Camp by Manipulator path gives Cado's goblet mission for Thief and +1 Word of Honor.
A thief could also forfeit getting either title and solve the Outpost by combat and Raider Camp by Thief method, giving + 3 cp, +3 skill use, +1 cs (no Word of Honor)

Assassins can dump the Steal skill, while Thieves should either raise Steal to 3 to get all the prelude points, or forfeit the bonus prelude points (but you can still get +10 lockpick from Cado by looting the merchant's body after he's been assassinated). Thieves also need to raise steal to 4 if they want to get the Commercium ring in TG Quest 2. I haven't found a good use for high Steal so I recommend Assassins dump it.

Steal 3 costs 15 sp and earns back 7 sp (3 from the full Thief prelude, 4 total from Teron inn) so the net is -8.

So in summary:

Teron thief path, no steal, no title: +55 sp, +12 cs (including Lucius training), +10 melee skill
Teron thief path, Manipulator: +55 sp, +11 cs (including Lucius training), +10 melee skill
Teron thief path, Terminator: +57 sp, +13 cs (including Lucius training), +10 melee skill
Teron assassin path, Terminator: +46 sp, +13 cs, +15 range skill
Teron assassin -> Imperial Guard path, Terminator: +45 sp, +14 cs, +10 melee skill, +15 range skill, +10 dodge, +10 block

So an Assassin dumping Steal comes just a few points shy of a Thief with Steal 3 in terms of benefit points. Thieves that dump Steal come out ahead the most.

In Maadoran, TG can get Levir's canister AND TG Q5 before betraying Levir, while AG can get Darius' Tomb quest by switching to Aurelian praetor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom