Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Magic & Mercenaries Gets A Pregander

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Magic & Mercenaries: Curse of Eternal Darkness

DungeonCrawlers.org has a nice preview with screenshots of Magic & Mercenaries: Curse of Eternal Darkness. For those who haven't read this thread, think of the old, party based, first person, on-a-grid style CRPGs such as Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder or any other number of Gold Box Games. Here's a quick video and snippet:

The game offers 15 classes, 5 of which are spellcasters (Priest, Sorcerer, Shaman, Druid and Battlemage) with overall 75 different spells to chose from. Unlike many other games, spells are not affected by range, so even if your fighters move deep into enemy territory, your casters can still heal them from far away.

We will pray with those old Druids, we will pray with those old Druids... I bet Crispy can finish that quote.

Thanks, Lady_Error! You're a peach!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I promise to do better next time. If I remember.

I may be off my mark, but I think Eye of the Beholder was considered a Gold Box along with Dungeon Hack. SSI made both, but I don't see them in that wiki link in the news post.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
That video is really old. The game doesn’t look anything like that anymore. Just want to make clear that it has come a really long way since that was made.

If anything, that video is a tech demo for an early version of the engine, and doesn’t really represent the game very well in its current state.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
The thing I love about blobbers is the risk and reward for exploration, finding a really cool weapon or piece of armour that can make the area easier after struggling, and the ability to come back on a replay with existing knowledge of the game in order to play it differently, and hopefully a lack of trash combat encounters.

Pacing matters. When you enter a new area it should be difficult and every combat encounter should be life and reload. Finding items should alleviate the overbearing difficulty, but bosses should be hard.

I will be comparing your game to other blobbers when the time comes! No pressure.

My brain is on autism currently and I am constantly editing this post and I am excited. I have been revisiting Stranger of Sword City and finding it far too easy. :(

Mortmal

Arcane
That video is really old. The game doesn’t look anything like that anymore. Just want to make clear that it has come a really long way since that was made.

If anything, that video is a tech demo for an early version of the engine, and doesn’t really represent the game very well in its current state.

Then you should provide us new screenshots or a video. It seems like very close to gold box indeed , almost a carbon copy unless you completely redesigned everything.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
EOB I-III are considered Legend Series (Blackbox).

FRUA & DH are considered construction set series. Odd as I would consider DH part of black box.

SSI Series Stuff

Most users of FRUA consider it part of the Gold Box Series. I’ve never heard it referred to in any other manner.

Yeah, I'd toss buck rogers, AOL NWN & FRUA in there for GB and DH with black box EOB with maybe Menzo. (Its been a while since I looked menzo.

You could toss DH with Slayer & Death Keep (since those two have random generation).

I have no clue what to put spelljammer with (OTHERS like Al-qadim).

DS is its own as is Ravenloft.

World Tactical should be War of the Lance, Stronghold, Fantasy Empires.

Dragonstrike was vastly different on PC vs NES.

Last edited:

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer

Then you should provide us new screenshots or a video. It seems like very close to gold box indeed , almost a carbon copy unless you completely redesigned everything.

There are updated screenshots in the thread in the Codex Workshop.

Go here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/magic-mercenaries-the-curse-of-eternal-darkness.127056/

Most recent stuff is on the last page, and you'll get an idea of where it's at currently.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
For those that don't want to venture over there, though, here are a couple of updated screenshots that were posted in that thread.

The game now runs in widescreen, so that should be one immediate difference that will stand out. I will also point out that while the updated screenshot of the combat engine below shows how the walls now have perspective, the layout of the combat screen has changed somewhat since that was posted (I believe that screenshot was prior to me moving to a widescreen aspect ratio).

Anyway, here are the screenshots:

2020-06.png

2020-08.png

2020-09.png

2020-10.png

2020-05.png

3DWalls.jpg

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
It's looking even better , but i hope you are not just catering to graphic whores :) Which ruleset are you using for that ? A deep character creation is extremely important now.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
rpgcodex newspost linking to an article on another site written by an rpgcodex user about a game developed by another rpgcodex user

I have no problem giving an RPG Codex user props for making an article on a site they run about a game that another RPG Codex member is working on. They deserve props for their work. Free props for everyone!

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
For those that don't want to venture over there, though, here are a couple of updated screenshots that were posted in that thread.

The game now runs in widescreen, so that should be one immediate difference that will stand out. I will also point out that while the updated screenshot of the combat engine below shows how the walls now have perspective, the layout of the combat screen has changed somewhat since that was posted (I believe that screenshot was prior to me moving to a widescreen aspect ratio).

Anyway, here are the screenshots:

3DWalls.jpg

:shredder:
I'm in love

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This looks good, keeping an eye on it.

Why are people ITT calling this/goldbox games blobbers? Is this genuine rot or an in-joke I missed?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Genuine rot, in that many Codexers consider a game with a separate combat screen, where each player-character is placed and moves on separate tiles, to nonetheless somehow fall into the blobber subgenre. :M

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
how would call it? Gold-box-like?
For the Gold Box series and similar CRPGs that are focused on combat, with separate movement of individual party members (and enemies) in a combat screen that is a grid or grid-equivalent (hexmap, whatever else), I would refer to them simply as the tactical RPG subgenre, to distinguish them from Wizardry-likes (turn-based blobbers) that take a more balanced approach to the different elements of RPGs and to Dungeon Master-likes (real-time blobbers) that are focused on exploration.

425934-wizard-s-crown-commodore-64-screenshot-fighting-thugs.png
247157-the-eternal-dagger-commodore-64-screenshot-tactical-combat.png
1099_screen4.png
244055-demon-s-winter-commodore-64-screenshot-turn-based-tactical.png
223231-death-knights-of-krynn-amiga-screenshot-rolling-demo-battle.png
581734-treasures-of-the-savage-frontier-amiga-screenshot-the-dwarf.png
355540-unlimited-adventures-dos-screenshot-a-combat-we-made-in-the.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom