Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl Mod Thread

ferratilis

Magister
Gunslinger now finally has English translation for weapon upgrade trees, made by youtuber Barabaw. It's not perfect, but better than just having item codes in the original version. He also made a review of the game, linked below.
mwulbnf.png

You can choose some additional mods from the update page that will work well with Gunslinger.
uzoeATZ.png

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This seems great. Is the mod performance heavy? Or is it just CoP with better guns?

ferratilis

Magister
Performance will probably be better if you have an nvidia card. For me, the game with Gunslinger was running better on i5-4460 and GTX 970 than on Ryzen 5 3600 with RX 5700 XT, which is sad tbh. I tried using DXVK just out of curiosity, but of course it doesn't work with X-Ray engine.

As for the mod itself, it's not only better guns. There are many new animations and PiP scopes with proper rendering which could also affect FPS. Also, make sure to disable depth of field because it fucks with new PDA animations. In case of FPS drops, try switching between DX9/10/11 and switching between HDAO and HBAO. With this game, you never know how it will perform.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Performance will probably be better if you have an nvidia card. For me, the game with Gunslinger was running better on i5-4460 and GTX 970 than on Ryzen 5 3600 with RX 5700 XT, which is sad tbh. I tried using DXVK just out of curiosity, but of course it doesn't work with X-Ray engine.

As for the mod itself, it's not only better guns. There are many new animations and PiP scopes with proper rendering which could also affect FPS. Also, make sure to disable depth of field because it fucks with new PDA animations. In case of FPS drops, try switching between DX9/10/11 and switching between HDAO and HBAO. With this game, you never know how it will perform.
Well, I only have an integrated video card that runs CoP well with static lighting. Will that do for the mod?

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy

If I recall correctly, most people just recommend setting SSAO, Sun Quality and Light Shafts to low since there's barely any difference on higher settings and you end up gaining quite a few FPS. Also HBAO for nVidia and HDAO for AMD. DX10 is what you want for vanilla engine CoP. DX11 is kind of a mess and certain things don't work with it, such as campfires casting light and shadows. If you do go for DX11 then you may want to disable tessellation as it's poorly implemented and doesn't end up improving the visuals that much.

ferratilis

Magister
I tried those settings, results are completely the same. Performance is good until I enter Skadovsk, when FPS goes to around 30 and stays there. Same with DX 10 or 11, SSAO at low or high etc. Meanwhile the GPU is barely utilized. It's just something I have to accept with Stalker. Anomaly runs much better due to being 64-bit, but I got bored with Anomaly already.
4Pb7uaO.png

Last edited:

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
someone i know gave the third reborn mod a (mostly) hand-written english translation. i don't know if i'm ready for this

for reference: the reborn mod series is a series of STALKER: clear sky mods made by resident prosper of the russian modding community. it *is* bugfuck insane

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
AMD GPUs run insanely bad on DX11 single core application. Even worse with CPUs focused on multithreading like ryzens vs higher single core/efficiency intels. Basically if you want to play stalker avoid amd gpus and cpus.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
eh, some engine branches fix that, but otherwise use DX 10 if you're playing CS or COP on a unmodified engine

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So I went back to CoP. The only mod I'm using is real weapon names because the fake names they use are weird.
I'm using a AMD rig and I noticed that there are indeed some performance issues. I see some artifacting in the skybox now and then and my GPU fan is really loud.
I'll try setting it to Dx10 and see if that improves it.
Other than it, I forgot how fun it was. I haven't played Stalker in a while, and while CoP is still pretty easy (you get way too much ammo), there are still some tense moments.

ferratilis

Magister
Vanilla in CoP is good and stable, but after playing with mods for so long, I just can't stand vanilla weapons. They feel like plastic toys in comparison to most weapon mods. Especially the shotguns. At least OWR is needed to enjoy the game. Unfortunately, every mod introduces some problems and breaks the already broken balance even more. Especially if you know stash locations, difficulty becomes trivial after finding Snag's OWR version of AK.

I replay SoC and CoP at least once a year and thanks to great design of maps and the unpredictability of A-Life, it never gets stale or boring. Zaton feels like home, it's such a well designed starting area, one of the best in open world games. There's never a need to look at the minimap because of how many unique landmarks there are. Also, it's not too big so even crossing it with full inventory is not as annoying as in other open world games. Most modern games could learn a thing or two about designing your world just based on Zaton. One thing that is lacking about CoP is the lack of memorable underground locations. SoC did that much better imo.

If only big mods like Misery or Gunslinger ran better...

distant

Learned
has anyone here played OLR 2.5? i busted my ass on a translation for it in late 2018 with some dudes. it was good fun. it's the ultimate buildfag mod

Had a flick through the thread and decided to try it. Missing translation on some PDA pop-ups but otherwise mostly english. Really cool stuff. Looking forward to Goldsphere.

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
I just want Zone of Alienation to be fixed and updated.
That magazine mechanic was cool as hell, a pity that the mod is highly unstable.
See if you can find some earlier versions of it. When it was just AMK, the magazine mod and some graphics mods it was pretty stable and worked perfectly fine.
Also, don't get your hopes up for it ever getting fixed. FatalFunnel cried and fucked off for a while after those meanies on /vg/ shat on his disastrous latest version of the mod. Now he's just making garbage dime a dozen mods for CoC.

Curratum

ЗОЛОТОЙ ШАР, am I rite?

Stay away from this autism, broski, at this point you might as well play OP2.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I wouldn't be surprised if ZoA saw that AREA and Anomaly mod have these magazines mods included and it's not worth dealing with it again...

Goldsphere? Oh right, fun time. Then I went to the wrong location and game just broke and scripts stopped working - it's was weirdly linear for Stalker game.

ferratilis

Magister
Does anyone know where one can download Misery 1.2 + patch? On their moddb they have 1.0 version afaik, but I don't remember how good that one is? If anyone has the link, it would be greatly appreciated.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
I wouldn't be surprised if ZoA saw that AREA and Anomaly mod have these magazines mods included and it's not worth dealing with it again...

Goldsphere? Oh right, fun time. Then I went to the wrong location and game just broke and scripts stopped working - it's was weirdly linear for Stalker game.

Anomaly has a magazine mechanic?

Theres a few addons for anomaly that implement a magazine mechanic.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Anomaly has a magazine mechanic?

Theres a few addons for anomaly that implement a magazine mechanic.

Well shit, I guess I have to install Anomaly now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom