Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Erebus

Arcane
Druids were pretty weird in 2nd Edition. At mid-level, their advancement is significantly faster than it is for clerics : they only need 300,000 XP to reach level 12, whereas a cleric with the same amount of XP won't even be halfway through level 9. And then things start changing pretty quickly. A druid needs 1,5 million XP to reach level 14 and 3 million XP to reach level 15. By comparison, a cleric only needs 2,7 million XP to reach level 20.

(There's also the fact that there can only be a single 15th-level druid in the entire world at any given time, but the less said about that, the better.)

Cernd is pretty terrible even before he hits the wall of level 15. It's always funny to watch him effortlessly crush Faldorn in a cutscene if you don't let him join your party, something that is much more difficult to accomplish if you are controlling him.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
(There's also the fact that there can only be a single 15th-level druid in the entire world at any given time, but the less said about that, the better.)

Is that a 2nd edition thing? It sounds fucking hilarious.

SCS adjusts the Shapeshifter's wolf form to be a lot better, but it's too hard for a basic ability to compete with all the bullshit legendary equipment you amass by ToB. You can't compare the greater werewolf form with Jaheira dual wielding a club of detonation +5 and belm in a +5 full plate of armor. Other than that, Cernd is a naked dude casting Druid spells, which are good, but not great. A shame, because I actually appreciate the kit's concept quite a bit, maybe I'll try to make it work regardless.

Is Spell Revisions any good? I saw that the latest version of SCS has some additional compatibility with the neverending beta version of SR 4.X, so I was enticed to maybe try it.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
No, that's a remnant of original Dungeons & Dragons, where the monk sub-class introduced in Supplement II: Blackmoor is part of an Order "structured in such a way that there is only one man at each level above the 6th (Grand Master)", and for the druid sub-class introduced in Supplement III: Eldritch Wizardry "above the level of Initiate the number of persons is strictly limited". There could be a maximum of four Druids (10th level), two Archdruids (11th level), and but a single Great Druid (12th level). Gary Gygax retained the same concepts for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, just with slightly higher levels before these restrictions kicked in (and half again as many Druids and Archdruids), and even in 2nd edition AD&D David Zeb Cook kept the restrictions for druids (monks were dropped from the core rules, having been included in the Oriental Adventures hardcover).

Kliwer

Savant
Is Spell Revisions any good?

Personally, I heartily recommend Spell Revision v3. This edition improves spells to a limited extent - mainly, it turns the weakest spells into something useful.

The latest version of the mod (v4) changes too much for me and I don't recommend it. It goes too far on the path of "balance".

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
No, that's a remnant of original Dungeons & Dragons, where the monk sub-class introduced in Supplement II: Blackmoor is part of an Order "structured in such a way that there is only one man at each level above the 6th (Grand Master)", and for the druid sub-class introduced in Supplement III: Eldritch Wizardry "above the level of Initiate the number of persons is strictly limited". There could be a maximum of four Druids (10th level), two Archdruids (11th level), and but a single Great Druid (12th level). Gary Gygax retained the same concepts for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, just with slightly higher levels before these restrictions kicked in (and half again as many Druids and Archdruids), and even in 2nd edition AD&D David Zeb Cook kept the restrictions for druids (monks were dropped from the core rules, having been included in the Oriental Adventures hardcover).

That's hilarious, I always like hearing these stories about old 1st and 2nd edition DnD.

Personally, I heartily recommend Spell Revision v3. This edition improves spells to a limited extent - mainly, it turns the weakest spells into something useful.

The latest version of the mod (v4) changes too much for me and I don't recommend it. It goes too far on the path of "balance".

I think I'll try v4 actually. I'm wary of anything that makes spellcasters even better with no tradeoff. Also looking into Item Revisions, might be what I need to shake things up enough for a new playthrough.

Kliwer

Savant
I'm wary of anything that makes spellcasters even better with no tradeoff.

SR 3 doesn't make mages stronger. On the contrary - it rather weakens them. The most powerful spells are usually weakened; accumulation of bonuses and our ability to reduce saving throws are significantly limited. At the same time, the weakest spells are now useful and interesting. In my opinion, this version of the mod makes the game more interesting, because we actually have more useful spells to choose from. For example, Know Alignment - useless in the original. Now it's quite a useful spell that weakens the enemy (lowers AC, lowers resistance to physical damage).

SR 4 is just boring for me; it is this kind of "balance" we saw in Pillars of Eternity. Everything is unified and standardized.

Kliwer

Savant
That still sounds useless.

No. It's a really useful spell.

Know Opponent

Level: 2
School: Divination
Sphere: Divination
Range: Long
Duration: 2 turns
Casting Time: 1 round
Area of Effect: 1 creature
Saving Throw: None

When this spell is cast, the priest's eyes glow with magical energy, enabling him to read the aura of a creature, and determine the creature's strengths and weaknesses. For the duration of the spell, the target's physical resistances are lowered by 10% and all attacks against the target creature are made with a +2 bonus to the attack roll. Certain magical devices negate the power of the Know Opponent spell, and the spell has no effect on creatures who don't emanate auras, such as constructs. Magic resistance does not affect this spell.

To sum up:

- On the 2nd level of the scroll, cleric had almost nothing useful in the original. Now he has.

- The spell reduces the opponent's AC by 2 without a save (and it ignores magic resistance). Useful at low levels against many strong enemies in BG1 (eg Gray Wolf).

- The spell is a unique method to lower the enemy's physical resistance (e.g. dragons). Useful even in ToB, e.g. against Yaga-Shura. - 10% physical resistances make a difference in long fights against enemies with a lot of hit points.

Gay-Lussac Spell Revisions v4 does some interesting things, but I agree that it is a bit too far of a departure for my tastes. SRv3 actually toned down mage power from V2, which went a bit overboard with save penalties for certain spells. The best part of v4 is that Spell Deflections now function like D&D 3E Spell Mantle, which blocks area affects not directly targeting the user.

aloeh

Novice
I'm finished the shadows of Ann, but I'm not to thrilled to play ToB.

It's really worth it?

Now I'm searching something to play, but with "depression pos finished a game" nothing seems good.

I'm between icewind dale (athough I'm a bit tired of infinity engine games), neverwinter nights oc,
Undertale, Arcanum, ToEE, Shadowrun Returns or Pillars 1(already played)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

It's really worth it?

Now I'm searching something to play, but with "depression pos finished a game" nothing seems good.

I'm between icewind dale (athough I'm a bit tired of infinity engine games), neverwinter nights oc,
If by Undertale you mean UnderRail, play that if you want an RPG. It's the exact opposite of BG - 1 char, post-apocalyptic, turn-based, oddity xp system. If you mean Undertale, then play the nu-Shadowruns, they are also almost the exact opposite.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

It's really worth it?

ToB is completely skippable. Arcanum is an easy recommendation if you haven't played that before.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I just noticed they are bringing a new patch for all their games?

Lmao why? WTF are they doing?

Downloading the beta for Icewind Dale to see what's in it.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just noticed they are bringing a new patch for all their games?

Lmao why? WTF are they doing?

Downloading the beta for Icewind Dale to see what's in it.

I stopped following patch progress years ago. I've often wondered if they're still gonna be fixing/patching it in 2022. That would be 10 years since the release of BG:EE. Surely that would be a first in the industry? At least as far as enhanced editions go.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Retrospective by Ed123:

A retrospective review of Bioware's 1998 CRPG smash hit. Examines the circumstances surrounding the game's early development, the context of the RPG market in the mid-late 90's, the critical response to the game, and how it all comes together. Sorry for the weird changes in my voice in the Visuals/Sound part - I recorded those in a different room. Timestamps and spoilers warnings below:

00:00 Opening
01:14 Overview
07:43 Behind the Scenes
22:25 Gameplay (AD&D and the RTwP System)
38:37 Gameplay (Pacing, Exploration, and World Design)
48:01 Gameplay (The City of Baldur's Gate, Quest Design, Companions)
58:48 Gameplay Summary
01:01:35 Art and Sound (Visuals)
01:13:12 Art and Sound (Sound, Voice Acting and Music)
01:19:48 Different versions of Baldur's Gate
01:26:20 Story and Roleplaying (Story Overview and World Building) MINOR SPOILERS
01:33:51 Story and Roleplaying (The Iron Crisis and The "Problem" with Fantasy) MODERATE SPOILERS
01:37:28 Story and Roleplaying (Dark Dreams and Failed Ambitions) MAJOR SPOILERS
01:45:18 Story and Roleplaying (General Writing and Companions)
01:49:42 Story and Roleplaying (Roleplaying and TSR's Code of Ethics)
01:58:44 Modding
02:13:17 Outro

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

That's hilarious, I always like hearing these stories about old 1st and 2nd edition DnD.

I think I'll try v4 actually. I'm wary of anything that makes spellcasters even better with no tradeoff. Also looking into Item Revisions, might be what I need to shake things up enough for a new playthrough.

D & D in the old days was pretty wacky honestly

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I personally don't recommend Spell Revisions if you play on SCS. It may be because I played on v4, but even though I liked the changes and it's a very polished and non-janky mods, it simply changed way too much and thus ended up being too gameplay defining.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom