Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
installed the M&M 6-7-8 combi mod
started out in the world of 6, five characters, all-female party (I picked, of course, the ones with barefoot paperdolls :M )
already killed a bunch of goblins and found some treasure hidden under a random rock

I'm having fun. Might and Magic is just so much fun despite how simple its gameplay loop is.

Rafidur

Learned
Spend 5 hours installing mods and running 3rd party tools to make the specular maps of each toe just the right way you want for the full skyrim experience.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Now I think it's a good thing we didn't get the Forge in the end. In M&M games the sci-fi element is always hidden as a surprise reward for getting to the endgame. Of course after beating at least one game it's no longer a surprise. Still its fun to wonder this fantasy world and wait for the sci-fi to pop-up. Forge being very in-your face sci-fi kinda betrays that idea.

Also the presented concepts were very not in-line of what we've seen in previous games. The technology was very futuristic and Star-Trek inspired. Meanwhile revealed concepts looked more like something from a post-apocalyptic game. Ogres with rocket launchers? Flamethrowers? Naga-tanks?

I think that the Forge should be obviously very powerful and advanced faction, but their technological origins should've been revealed only at the end of the campaign, like in M&M games. At a glance their units should appear to be using conventional weapons or magic. Goblins should still use blasters, but these blasters should look like magical weapons rather than standard guns. This would both prevent the backlash and retain the surprise ending similar to the M&M games.
Of course there's no way NWC would make know it back then.

installed the M&M 6-7-8 combi mod
started out in the world of 6, five characters, all-female party (I picked, of course, the ones with barefoot paperdolls :M )
already killed a bunch of goblins and found some treasure hidden under a random rock

I'm having fun. Might and Magic is just so much fun despite how simple its gameplay loop is.

I'd say that M&M is so fun precisely because how simple the gameplay loop is. I mean let's compare Fallout 1 and 2 to M&M 6. In Fallout (and many FO likes i.e Wasteland, AOD, Underrail) the character creation is pretty stressful since you can fuck yourself over before the game even starsts, and it's not obvious how should you distribute your stats even if you know what kind of character you want to play. In M&M stat-rising barrels are everywhere so it doesn't matter.

grimer

Learned
Also the presented concepts were very not in-line of what we've seen in previous games. The technology was very futuristic and Star-Trek inspired. Meanwhile revealed concepts looked more like something from a post-apocalyptic game. Ogres with rocket launchers? Flamethrowers? Naga-tanks?
i agree. the most egregious aspect of the forge expansion was the goth/punk? horror sci-fi aesthetic which severely clashed with the whimsical fantasy setting of the rest of the series. that naga tank concept art was nightmare fuel. for me it was less about the sci-fi fantasy mix (which i always liked) but how tonally inconsistent that faction is. its like watching lord of the rings with a 90s nu-metal score.

Rafidur

Learned
It does work. You also get stuff like mouselook and better resolution, but that just makes it bearable in 2021. There's also some changes like a reworked bounty system, a fifth party member (which I'm not using for balance), potion recipes, fly being much later in MM6, etc. Whether you like it depends on if you like MM6-7-8 in the first place.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i agree. the most egregious aspect of the forge expansion was the goth/punk? horror sci-fi aesthetic which severely clashed with the whimsical fantasy setting of the rest of the series. that naga tank concept art was nightmare fuel. for me it was less about the sci-fi fantasy mix (which i always liked) but how tonally inconsistent that faction is. its like watching lord of the rings with a 90s nu-metal score.

I always really liked the sci-fi elements of Might and Magic, but the Forge cities looked too industrial. M&M's sci-fi elements were always of a more classic sword-and-planet era style. Think Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, or even Star Wars.

This is the vibe M&M's sci-fi elements give me:
Buck-Rogers-crop.jpg

The Forge looked nothing like that:
maxresdefault.jpg

Still more interesting than the ultra dull Conflux. It's the only HoMM faction I avoid playing if I can.
They are boring for sure,but at least don't take you out of the game like forge.

It takes me out of the game due to being so unimaginative. It fits better with shitty Ubisoft games. Ironically they never tried to bring them back since they were so garbage.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Still more interesting than the ultra dull Conflux. It's the only HoMM faction I avoid playing if I can.
Weird, I thought I was the only one who thought that. They tried too hard with adapting the elementals into a coherent faction and the psychic (or whatever the tier 6 was) ones felt considerably amateurish compared to other unit designs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom