Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Sui Generis + Exanima Early Access

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They have 3 employees
Seven devs actually with rumors of a former one returning from SG days.
Latest document on Companies House (up to Dec 2019) says 3, which is where I'm taking my info from. I think the deadline for the Dec 2020 state is in 2-3 months so we can see more then.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Latest document on Companies House (up to Dec 2019) says 3, which is where I'm taking my info from. I think the deadline for the Dec 2020 state is in 2-3 months so we can see more then.
Those are simply the documents I tell you how it is.

Madoc said:
Agnes, Kieran and Luke are all 3D artists, and also do stuff like level design etc. They make the levels, environment assets, props, objects, weapons etc. and also various character assets. You all know what Zeth does more or less, but basically he makes most of the detailed armour models and most of the creatures now, occasionally something else too. Brendan is mostly an admin guy historically, but he's also involved in various game system design stuff. Bethain does the music, but also some writing etc. And everyone has a say in the game's design ofc, that's a collaborative effort, if I just didn't have the opportunity to discuss and analyze my designs with others on the team I'd be nowhere with it.

Madoc does all the code solo, with various related game systems and animations, he also did some placeholder armors you can see on kickstarter but those were cut. Scott showed up on the discord a month ago and expressed his interest in returning to the game, he worked with BM as another 3D artist back in the beginning, doing tiling textures and some early models. There are also some other former devs who jumped ship early for various reasons like the writer guy. And for a time semi-official community manager and a moderator named Tony who turned out to be a pedophile lol.

Last edited:

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Finally decided to replay this after 5 years or so. It seems that the combat system is still the main selling point. After 4 hours of practice I'm still flailing around like a retard but every so often I manage to execute the perfect maneuver and it's absolutely epic. Slashing the opponent across the face with a polearm with full force and momentum feels amazing. Unfortunately the dungeon mode kinda sucks. No map makes it so tedious, you basically have to learn the level layout and there's unique hidden keys all over the place. Now i have to backtrack and move barrels and tables to find those keys. :mad:

Harthwain

Magister
Unfortunately the dungeon mode kinda sucks. No map makes it so tedious, you basically have to learn the level layout and there's unique hidden keys all over the place.
I agree that having an in-game map, where you can mark stuff - to help yourself keep track where you are and where you have been - would be grand.

Still, you can find maps made by players online:

https://suigeneris.fandom.com/wiki/Exanima_Level_2

https://www.reddit.com/r/Exanima/comments/fv4hmw/level_1_map_red_circles_are_locked_doors_purple/

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lack of automap etc, is core philosophy of this game. The devs stated several times that they want you to feel like you're not stumbling into some game environment, tailored specifically for your fun. Instead, you should feel like you're discovering something that made sense in the world and was built accordingly. So no automaps, and magic gui compas, but you can find a map and a compass to get your bearings. Plenty of rooms with nothing "useful" in them (e.g. a log storehouse) to you as a player, but used as an environmental story telling tool.
This kind of design philosophy is what got me hooked on the game initially, when I completely sucked at the combat. Getting good at combat made it stick with the game for a long time.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I do like that design philosophy, it's just that lvl1 is a total maze. Now that i found the ingame map it's not a problem but imagine crawling through this without one
6Sn0ZrUZ_o.png

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't worry Niggerino, the maps get exponentially more interesting when you get past the initial dungeon. Personally, I enjoyed the first level for the environmental storytelling Yaar Podshipnik is talking about, but by the third level or so I was more than fed up with it. Fortunately, everything that comes after is crazy cool.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Don't worry Niggerino, the maps get exponentially more interesting when you get past the initial dungeon. Personally, I enjoyed the first level for the environmental storytelling Yaar Podshipnik is talking about, but by the third level or so I was more than fed up with it. Fortunately, everything that comes after is crazy cool.
Just finished the second level and you were right. I have to admit that the game is much better then i thought.

Plenty of rooms with nothing "useful" in them (e.g. a log storehouse) to you as a player, but used as an environmental story telling tool.
This kind of design philosophy is what got me hooked on the game initially, when I completely sucked at the combat. Getting good at combat made it stick with the game for a long time.
While in a bathhouse looking at the shelves for loot i realized, wtf am i doing in a bathhouse looking for loot?? Feels good.

Harthwain

Magister
While in a bathhouse looking at the shelves for loot i realized, wtf am i doing in a bathhouse looking for loot?? Feels good.
There are some places where you can find nice loot early on (in particular on level 1).

I used Grid Cartographer to make a map of all 3 levels way back long ago. Pen and paper would work just as well. I belive the rounded wall sections in GC were added after me pestering the author here for them, when Exanima added round walls on deeper levels :)

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Got wrecked by the so called "sir" on level 4. You go from fighting retarded undead to fighting this gentleman
iu
Sent me flying with one punch then beat the crap out of me before i could run away. I passed out and when i woke up there's "sir" waiting for me. Didn't even have a chance to pick up my weapon before i was sent flying again. It's getting pretty intense.

thesecret1

Arcane
Got wrecked by the so called "sir" on level 4. You go from fighting retarded undead to fighting this gentleman
iu
Sent me flying with one punch then beat the crap out of me before i could run away. I passed out and when i woke up there's "sir" waiting for me. Didn't even have a chance to pick up my weapon before i was sent flying again. It's getting pretty intense.
I killed this dude by placing a couple benches and crap in his path. Was pretty funny.

Technomancer

Liturgist
so called "sir"
Nickname that was first given by an aforementioned pedophile. "Because he commands respect". It stuck and now it is official.

Might want to run away until you get some proper gear and back up.

I killed this dude by placing a couple benches and crap in his path. Was pretty funny.
He is still unfinished, you can cheese him easily stabbing him in the toilet. Madoc promised extra attacks and ability to break doors.

Last edited:

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
That was amazing :lol: Some of the moves look so realistic, my favorite was when he pushed him under the table and then shoved up a mace up his ass.

Might want to run away until you get some proper gear and back up.
I had plate armor and that double handed sword from blacksmiths locked room. Problem is I keep tripping over myself.. I feel like a world war 1 tank made out of brass.
Nickname coined by an aforementioned pedophile. "Because he commands respect". It stuck and now it is official.
What pedophile? And I'm sure he's gonna command even more respect when he starts smashing through doors.

Technomancer

Liturgist
29/3/21

We've made good progress on making procedural weapons functional in game. We're generating working weapons inside the game, which are then persistent, they have quality and condition and we have development UIs to configure their randomisation. We've also updated some of our weapon specific procedural materials as the whole system has evolved since we first made these. There's only a few small things left to do before we can start introducing some in the beta and get some feedback. Once the core systems are smoothed out we'll be looking at gameplay implications more closely, how components and deformations should affect stats, possible weapon traits, updating some aspects of the damage model, and of course multiple grips on weapons where appropriate.

Here's some screenshots of some in game procedural swords:

Some procedural swords
Some actual procedural swords inside the game.

Procedural sword closeup

Procedural sword closeup 2
Another closeup showing damage in particular.

The way we've approached the implementation this is more a general procedural object feature, not just weapons. Some obvious examples could be books or keys. This isn't just a tool for randomisation, it's a way to make each item feel unique, to add a huge variety that wouldn't otherwise be possible and to design specific items in just a few clicks. This has huge applications in content design, and in a future where we make content creation tools available, people will be able to quickly design high quality unique items and themes to fit their narrative.

For some time now we've been talking about overhauling the UI, to get away from that PC software look, make it more immersive and fitting. Our more recent thaumaturgy UI was a step in the right direction, we want to do something similar with the skills, and also remove the paperdoll in favour of a hybrid inventory / inspect mode which simply zooms into your character and immediate surroundings. Recently with all the graphical improvements, especially the upcoming weapons, we've also been looking for ways to see items in more detail.

We've been through various mock-ups and concepts for a new interface look, with the insiders giving us feedback and contributing their own ideas. We haven't been too happy with anything until now. We need something simple and clean, that fits with other UIs and still supports more complex interfaces. We've been through a few more iterations this week, and we think we may have finally found an aesthetic we're happy with. Here's a mock-up of a description window:

UI overhaul concept
A concept for an overhauled UI graphical style.

We think this is a versatile look we can work with, let us know what you think about the planned changes.

Those are the main things this week, but we're working on some other stuff too and fixing some things up for another beta patch to go with the first procedural weapons, hopefully in the next few days.

Have a great week!
-the BM team

AdolfSatan

Arcane
That design is shit.
Light grey on darker grey is a cheap design cop out and poor in accessibility. Someone please tell Madoc that you can use color in your UI without losing muh atmosphere.
Also, why is every stat represented with dots but weight with a slider? And on that subject, why is some data (IBC) represented with graphics but other (quality/condition) with words? What are the dots even supposed to represent? I don't see what the max is, so how to I know where I'm standing at?
Not content with being unnecessary, there's a typo in the description too. Jesus Christ.

Weapons look great, tho.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Wait, is this getting updates?

What's the game's current status?

Last time I played it was basically a tech demo with no hope of ever being turned into a game.

fork

That design is shit.
Light grey on darker grey is a cheap design cop out and poor in accessibility. Someone please tell Madoc that you can use color in your UI without losing muh atmosphere.
Also, why is every stat represented with dots but weight with a slider? And on that subject, why is some data (IBC) represented with graphics but other (quality/condition) with words? What are the dots even supposed to represent? I don't see what the max is, so how to I know where I'm standing at?
Not content with being unnecessary, there's a typo in the description too. Jesus Christ.

Weapons look great, tho.

Will only take a couple of years to finalise the UI, just be patient.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
those are not actual stats, that is just fluff
According to Madoc, condition is tied to the stats of the item. It was said somewhere in the latest updates or on the steam forum. Can't be arsed to look for it, but perhaps Technomancer has more precise info.

Stats are incremental and weights are cumulative?
afaik the weight depicted is related entirely to the weapon, to calculate its speed and damage.

What's the game's current status?
Very advanced. I'm waiting for 1.0, but do give it a try, it's looking pretty awesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom