Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

On D&D adaptations. Which lv range do you prefer?

Chose one level range.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Generic-Giant-Spider

All you mid-level/high-level niggaz SCARED of going down into the cellars?

C'mon niggaz FIGHT me.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Combat is still lethal as HP pools aren't too high yet, but they're also not so low a single unlucky crit takes out your fighter.
, but because of power creep and bloat. HP pools keep rising with each levelup, even after all your caster classes unlocked all the highest level spells, so at epic levels combat becomes a slog

This is a huge problem on 3e+ games. On 2e, you after lv 9 gain almost no hp.

1-7 is a bit too restrictive, I'd say 1-12 is the sweet spot for me. A

So you prefer low to mid level. Right?

Yeah level 4-8 for me are mid-level going by B/X D&D where the cap is level 14.

If the lv cap is 14, then is a low to mid level campaign. Simple like that.

ine. Everything is well-balanced and interesting(...)more difficult to balance properly

If you value so much balance, why not play 4e? Most balanced D&D edition ever and the most boring.

Balance is the most fun killer ever IMO.

Low level - 1-4. After you get fireball it's mid level.

LOL. So, Paladins unable to cast the most basic os their holy magic(they can only at lv 9) is mid level? What is a Netherese campaign for you?

Drew

Savant
I like playing in the 4-12 range.
Before that, you have so few tools and resources, and you suck at using them.
After that, you're solving eldritch mysteries and fighting gods while hopping through dimensional portals. It's just too detached from what I want out of D&D games.
I'm also going to take this moment to say that I FUCKING HATE 1D20. Fuck. I want to rewrite the entirety of the D&D universe using 3d6 as the core roll.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm able to write my RPG systems, so If I'd play something, I'd likely write system for it. Systems that limits max level feels weird.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I dunno if you can compare D&D across editions. I mean, your options include 2e, 3e, and 3e in 2e.

But honestly
#1 spell lists change and those basically define when things are interesting.
#2 They're all meant to be played from 1-20. If certain level suck that means your DM is not making things interesting for you.
#3 Melee in 3e+ is different because you get ToB HLAs from level 1 as "Feats"... because "HLAs" are derived from 3rd editions' "Feats."
#4 Barbarian, sorc, and monk are also 3e ports to 2e. BG2-TOB and 3rd edition worked on at about the same time, wouldn't be surprised if they were already working on IWD2 and borrowed Barb/sorc/monk mechanics. Or the other way around.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Low level video games adaption tend to do better,they leaves less room for screwing up games design. My inner munchkin loves to throw blatantly overpowered spell at trash, but the lack of challenge quickly make it boring.
I never really saw high level done well apart from maybe SCS and ToB ascension, which basically boiled down to bullshit getting countered by even more bullshit.

Bara

Arcane
If the lv cap is 14, then is a low to mid level campaign. Simple like that.

For that edition no levels exist past 14 by definition that is high level for the edition.

I an surprised that Dungeons & Kobolds level range is winning...
beating-dead-horse-gif-2.gif.e3713d3667ffbdc2d25a3b3e66f1b126.gif

Generic-Giant-Spider

Ways I see it:

Low level is fun since the high lethality creates tension, level ups feel the most impactful at this stage, and you're not tripping over magical equipment everywhere.

High level is retarded and the game becomes boring. It's why people will retire characters and begin new campaigns because there is little to no challenge left and you've pretty much "won."

Mid level has the most potential to be the funnest but it is only as good as your DM makes it. Good mid level campaigns will feel like a more evolved low level, shitty mid level campaigns will feel like you're suddenly high level.

eli

Learned
I prefer they stopped adapting a ruleset to a format and a genre that doesn't support it.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
For that edition no levels exist past 14 by definition that is high level for the edition.

So, they only included low and mid level in that edition. Simple as that.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Yep. You hate everything interesting. Underdark, Abyss, Netheril, Elemental Planes, Icewind dale(...) everything that is not "i attack" is boring for you.

That's because reaching level 5 will always be the high point of D&D adaptations.

6e2p6.png

I said dungeons & kobolds by a reason...

High level is retarded and the game becomes boring. It's why people will retire characters and begin new campaigns because there is little to no challenge left and you've pretty much "won."

Well, try to kill Vecna on high level and see if the "lack of challenge" exists.

Or throw your party into the depth of abyss and have then fight hordes and hordes of demons.

See people complaining about HotU difficulty : https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/70731/the-end-of-hotu-chapter-2-battle-is-hard

High level is not challenging only if the DM keeps throwing low level monsters against the party. A lich played by a smart DM is a fearsome enemy.

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
D&D video games often do not model in P&P tactics in high level play. Take dragons for example- D&D video games never let dragons fly. In a proper game, dragons would be fearsome enemies because they can attack from above you and you can't do jack shit about it unless you have ranged weapons or can fly yourself.
Ever wonder why liches or high level mages do not just teleport away when the battle is going badly for them? Because its a video game. Designers will just give slap 2x the HP they should have and call it a day.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
High level is not challenging only if the DM keeps throwing low level monsters against the party. A lich played by a smart DM is a fearsome enemy.

A bunch of kobolds played by a smart DM is a fearsome enemy too.
And certainly could be not any less deadly at the intended levels.

The problem with high-level high-power campaigns is partly that most DMs, especially those who prefer to play at such OP levels,
are unable even to grasp the scale of intellect god-level characters should posses.
I can bet that no sane (haha!) lich would stoop down to exchanging spells in a combat with a party of some adventurers.

Kliwer

Savant
If you value so much balance, why not play 4e? Most balanced D&D edition ever and the most boring.

Balance is the most fun killer ever IMO.

I guess I mean a different kind of balance. In D&D 3 (no suplements) each class is useful - which doesn't mean they are doing equally well in combat. Ranger is much weaker in combat than a fighter, barbarian or paladin. But at the same time he provides the most non-combat skills. It doesn't work very well in a video game. But in the PnP it's ok.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Levels 4 to 12 are roughly the most exciting since you have options but aren't too powerful to solve everything with brute force or magic. High level play CAN work in very deliberately designed campaigns. Low level stuff is just boring.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
are unable even to grasp the scale of intellect god-level characters should posses.

High level characters aren't godlike.

Hell, Karsus a lv 42 arcanist, probably the highest level non deity ever, had to develop the Karsus avatar spell to try to save his kingdom. Gods avatar on 2e are stronger than Karsus and a deity avatar has a tiny fraction of his real power.

I can bet that no sane (haha!) lich would stoop down to exchanging spells in a combat with a party of some adventurers.
ake dragons for example- D&D video games never let dragons fly. In a proper game, dragons would be fearsome enemies because they can attack from above you and you can't do jack shit about it unless you have ranged weapons or can fly yourself.
Ever wonder why liches or high level mages do not just teleport away when the battle is going badly for them? Because its a video game. Designers will just give slap 2x the HP they should have and call it a day.

Most CRPG's aren't 3d but yes, dragons on TT games due fly are much more deadly; As for lich, fighting a lich on TT game often involves more preparation IE - thinking on plans and counter plans, dimension locking the battlefield to prevent his teleport, gathering information about where his philactery probably is before even engaging in the combat and so on.

I want to see dragon fights on Solasta so hard cuz Solasta is implementing verticality. And BTW, you can cast fly in Solasta and fly.

See Sodalis on NWN1:HotU. He stop the time, conjure elementals and teleport to a place protected by a lot of traps. BTW, he is a vampire, not a lich. On house ad edge of time on PF:KM, there are a enemy which constantly teleport. But there are only short range teleportation at will. IMO long range teleportation needs to be a "ritual".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom