Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah, communism runs deep in the open source community.
?? no? More recently I'd agree, but that's because it does everywhere.
Hacker culture(of which "open source community" is a part of) was heavily libertarian with regards to the part that was openly political -- it even had a name for it: Technolibertarianism. There were books written about it e.g., Cyberselfish.
The culture simply wasn't what it's like today though, it was just far less political overall. Imagine a room full of 100 white men. Most of them are wearing suspenders and are generally not well groomed. Somewhere between 70 and 85 of them have high functioning autism and don't even want to interact with other people. The few that can hold an actual conversation want you to know that if you don't get off their property they're going to shoot you.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
That is correct, but the very same libertarians were easy prey for womyn and trannies over the last... Shit, this crap has been going on for over a decade now. The Open Sores community isn't what it used to be.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Developers of FIFA Manager bring a new football team management sim with THQ Nordic, WE ARE FOOTBALL:

ss_0347e620d43251e30492e23db0d6a7368bb29522.600x338.jpg
ss_6dcd52423bdfb3b115a8140ff4dee8e9b65e4dcb.600x338.jpg

Third WW1 shooter from developers of Verdun and Tannenberg:

ss_0fa07c17b8e595cf9065e0436acd113b030506f8.600x338.jpg
ss_2222ba557e1e80e48f7594093347797dc1928881.600x338.jpg

Calthaer

Educated
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Surprised to see no one has mentioned the "Remote Play Together" feature Steam just released yesterday or the day before. You can basically share a game remotely with your friends - they all control one or more inputs on your box. Some friends and I tried it out last night, played "Potion Explosion" to see how well it would work.

The feature seems like it would work best for games that operate like console games where everyone has a controller - like Gauntlet, the LEGO series of games (LEGO Star Wars, LEGO Hobbit, etc.), and things like that.

Potion Explosion (digitized board game) was OK but the downside is that you can't see your own playing material ("potions" in this case, but in other games could be cards or whatever) when it's not your turn. It worked, just wasn't ideal and you couldn't plan ahead. Obviously this would fail for any game where your hand should be hidden.

They have other games available for this feature that are like "hot-seat" multiplayer games. E.g., Civ VI is listed there but it seems like it would be a huge pain and a very long game to share one copy and make asynchronous turns. Of course, it might work better than Firaxis' online multiplayer.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Remote Play Together was implemented like a year ago. My understanding is it sucks compared to integrated multiplayer. No one I know uses it.

Developers of FIFA Manager bring a new football team management sim with THQ Nordic, WE ARE FOOTBALL:
instawishlist out of sheer hopefulness and fabulous optimism. if ea would have cared and given it a decent engine, instead of forcing devs to reuse a five years old one, fifa manager could have easily overshadowed football manager in the long run.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
instawishlist out of sheer hopefulness and fabulous optimism. if ea would have cared and given it a decent engine, instead of forcing devs to reuse a five years old one, fifa manager could have easily overshadowed football manager in the long run.
that name? FUCK
women's teams? NO

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Remote Play Together was implemented like a year ago. My understanding is it sucks compared to integrated multiplayer. No one I know uses it.
Meh, it's good enough for a few plays.

The new part is that you can now invite anyone, even if they don't have steam or are your friends.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
used it throughout the whole quarantine - it's great for games that are already meant to be played in local multiplayer

Latelistener

Arcane
I haven't tried Remote Play since I'm using Parsec for this. The idea isn't new (Parsec exists since 2016), but it's still good that Valve introduced this.

It basically transforms all local mp games into online mp. Yes, the "real" online is still preferable, but it's great nonetheless.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Next Steam Game Festival: https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/marketing/steamgamefestival/2021summer

Overview
The Steam Game Festival returns on June 16th, 2021! The Steam Game Festival is a multi-day celebration where fans can try out demos, chat with developers, watch live streams, and learn about upcoming games on Steam. For developers, the Steam Game Festival is an opportunity to get early feedback from players and build an audience for a future launch on Steam.

Event Dates
Starts: Wednesday, June 16th, 2021 @ 10AM PST
Ends: Tuesday, June 22nd, 2021 @ 10AM PST

Registration Date
Registration must be received by Wednesday April 14th, 2021 at 10AM PST in order to be considered for featuring.

Eligibility
The 2021 Steam Game Festival: Summer Edition is open to any upcoming game on Steam that meets the following criteria:
  1. Have a Steamworks developer account in good standing
  2. Have a game you plan to release on Steam after the event and before January, 2022. If your game is releasing after that date, you may register for a future event.
  3. Set up and release a playable demo for the duration of the Steam Game Festival. You may choose to retire the demo after the festival concludes or leave the demo available
  4. Have not participated with the same game in either the Winter 2021 or Autumn 2020 Steam Game Festivals.

Renamed: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/nextfest

We've renamed the Steam Game Festival to more directly communicate its focus: Announcing Steam Next Fest, a multi-day celebration of upcoming games. Explore and play hundreds of game demos, watch developer livestreams, and chat with the teams about their games in progress, coming soon to Steam.

We can't wait to share what's headed to Steam in the next event.

that name? FUCK
women's teams? NO
They weren't brave enough to offer mixed teams? Disappointing.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
VOLOT Red Odyssey, post apocalyptic mech tactics where humanity led by Soviet Union fighting aliens.

ss_3d16aee8ca9b4c103ee549be288772d5aa6580aa.600x338.jpg
ss_572425afae3f09de4f7541589d6209d6198bc528.600x338.jpg

Thymesia, Souls-like action RPG where you use plague as weapons:

ss_799361600fa00f88bfd5b4b3e1909869db1b4a96.600x338.jpg
ss_3be8b5a4072a30e89d98792aac34840d82bcf7e8.600x338.jpg

Dungeoneers, free-to-play browser-based dungeon crawler coming to Steam:

ss_20398dd79b65e76204a07158f85e42f3b29ea801.600x338.jpg
ss_31277b06c5d05aec004077b54af29551e7073329.600x338.jpg

Latelistener

Arcane
Is there some kind of a problem? I don't see any Steam media embeds. I also noticed that people often rated other messages with
BrokenImage.png

Anyway, Killing Floor 2 Deluxe is finally 75% off. Compared to L4D the first game was more budget and didn't have PvP. However I ended up spending much more time in KF. It was more hardcore, no crosshairs and the guns were made a lot better and had a good impact.

KF2 seems to be better in almost every way and had a bigger budget. Maybe it became a bit easier, but also more dynamic. It's still receiving new updates and they just added a new map (haven't tested it yet though). Bit of a warning though, although it can be reduced, both games have a lot of gore, I mean A LOT. And heavy music too.

Last edited:

ferratilis

Magister
Serious Sam 2 received a pretty big update, 15 years after release. It's also on sale now.
MAJOR UPDATE
POSTED
Tue, March 23
Wait, what?! Serious Sam 2 Update 2.90 is Live!
Bet you didn't see this one coming.

90e5ebcc6076993902287c51b10d5a0e7856ac4a.jpg

Bet you didn’t see this one coming! But here it is anyway. It’s been five billion years since the last proper update for Serious Sam 2. In the meantime, we have released a bunch of games, but Serious Sam 2 was always creeping in the darkest corners of our minds. So much so that when the ol’ Nate, aka Nathan Brown, aka DwK, mentioned how he’d love to give Serious Sam 2 another chance, we jumped right onto the hype train.

Nathan did some amazing work in the past couple of months and made sure we deliver the ultimate Serious Sam 2 update, changing the game forever. For the better, of course. With additions like dual-wielding, enemy multiplier, new weapons, and 12 brand new multiplayer maps, Serious Sam 2 gets a new life today. All hail Nathan!

Serious Sam 2 Update 2.90 is quite substantial, so make sure to check out the full changelog at the very bottom of this post. Before you do that, why not get to know Nate a bit more in the latest edition of Basement Chats With Yasen, and find out what exactly inspired him to make this update, how he got in contact with Serious Sam 2, to begin with, and what led him to become a full-time Croteam member.

As always, we'll be looking out for your feedback and acting on it. Feel free to report any issues in the tech-support subforum, and we're always open to suggestions via forums. We'll love you even more if you join our official Discord server.

Got a fun mod to share? Maybe some fan-art or a crazy Serious Sam video you made? We'd love to take a look and share it for everyone else to see. Reach out to our community team directly via Discord, or holler at us via Twitter - @croteam, @serioussamiam, @danny_hr, and @yasenstavrev.

Oh, almost forgot. The Serious Sam 2 soundtrack has been remastered! Soon, you will be able to find it on Steam, and all relevant streaming platforms. Drumjan is a god.

Much love from Croteam!
Danny

___

BASEMENT CHATS WITH YASEN - NATHAN DwK BROWN

⚪ Hello Nathan, or should I say: Hello “DwK”, the guy with the Simba Avatar from the old Serious Sam forums! Now that I have mentioned your old nickname “DwK” and the forums, we have to start by asking you- back when the gaming forums were the place for everyone to hang out, when and why did you join the Serious Sam community? Also, what inspired you to start modding for Serious Sam?

Back in the spring of 2002, I was doing research online to determine what new video card I was going to buy. During that research, I ran across a review for the GeForce4 Ti4400 cards. In the review, they used a game for benchmarking I'd never heard of before, Serious Sam 2. I got curious, researched the game, and found out they had free demos for Serious Sam TFE and Serious Sam TSE. I downloaded them and played them, and that was pretty much all she wrote. I had to have those games.

After playing with a buddy via LAN for a few weeks, and since I had his computer at my house, I started hosting games with it. Then I started meeting lots of great people and joined the Seriously! community. About 5 or so months later, a group of us started playing Louva Deus's (Dev Mystic) "Odd World" mod. We all loved it, but there was a problem. It was only for The First Encounter. So half the time, we couldn't play it. One night we were hanging around chatting after a battle and they all ganged up on me and tried to convince me that I should make the Odd World mod for The Second Encounter. I'd never really programmed before, but I had made skins for us all, so they thought I could do it. This part still gives me chills, and still seems a little surreal. Louva Deus released the source code for Odd World the very next day.

I had no real excuses after that, so I learned how to create mods for Sam, and the "Dances World" mod was born. Then, later on, after a short-lived collaboration with Louva Deus, "Parse Error" was born.

⚪ After being a part of the community for a long time, and thanks to your amazing work as a modder, you became a part of Croteam and have been with us for almost 10 years now. You were also one of the first people, if not the first person, who got hired from the community. How did that happen?

When Serious Sam 2 was released, I wasn't sure if I was going to do a mod for the game. There wasn't an SDK available like there was with the first two games. But, I took a chance and reached out to Alen Ladavac, he gave me the source code so I could make one, and InSamnity! 2 was born. After about a year or so of just working on InSamnity, I started helping out with the Sam Forever mod. During its development, I reached out to Alen again to deal with some odd issues I had run into with the deathmatch bots, and we became friends. He offered me a job in the early part of 2008, but we just couldn't make it happen at the time.

When Croteam released Serious Sam HD, it kind of killed the Sam Forever mod. By this time I was doing contract web work, and just beta-tested the games. Working for them still seemed to be outside the realm of possibility.

Then in late 2011, Sam 3 was nearing release, and I beta tested it. Along the way, I started working with Alen to come up with ways to make the beta testing process better and did everything I could to help make them happen. After the game was released, and Croteam had caught their breath, I got my second job offer. This time we made it happen.

⚪ Many years later after you finished working on anything related to Serious Sam 2, you decide it's time for one last dance. You pitched your idea for a huge update to a million years old game to the higher-ups – and they said yes. What inspired you to do so, and what’s the idea behind this update?

I had some downtime after Sam 4 was released and was looking through the Serious Sam 2 Steam forum posts and I thought the game could use a little love. It's a great game. It's the game that really turned me into a game developer. So I suggested a simple patch. I was told to spend some real-time on it, maybe add a few options from my InSamnity! 2 mod.

Well, you know the saying... "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face". Needless to say, I got punched in the face. Hard.

I hope that all that was done helps keep the game enjoyable for a long time to come. If that works out, it was all worth it. Long live Serious Sam 2!

___

Serious Sam 2 Update 2.90 Changelog

What’s new:

• Sam can now wield a brand new weapon called the BeamGun (aka The Ghost Buster from the original Serious Sam design document)
  • Enemy multiplier option is now available in singleplayer and co-op. Go, create your own Legion System in Serious Sam 2.
  • Duke it out on 12 previously unreleased multiplayer maps, coming to you straight from the dusty basement at Croteam HQ. Those include Yodeller, Stadium, Hole, Desert Temple, and more.
  • A brand new Flame-Thrower weapon is now available to all you modders out there, and so is the napalm item, so you can feed it.
  • Sam finally learned to dual wield all of his toys. That’s pretty cool if I do say so myself.
  • You know what else is cool? The ability to sprint. Well, Sam can do that now, too.
  • He can also Rocket Jump, just like in the classics.
  • Get lost no more with the brand new Enemy, NPC, and Objective radar.

Stability and performance fixes:

1. Fixed the notorious profile corruption issue. It’s been five million years, but we got there.

Gameplay changes and fixes:

• The RollerBall in “The Road to Ursul” level will no longer self destroy!
  • Uzis firing speed has been doubled and the damage per bullet reduced from 10 to 9. Such balance!
  • Fixed statistics menu not showing correctly when skipping movies.
  • Colt Reloading has been added.

Visual changes:

• Hud, menu, and mic textures have been upscaled by 2x!
  • All fonts are now available in shiny high definition, thanks to the House Of Sam.
  • Improved animations for the Chainsaw, Rocket, and Grenade launchers.
  • Screen and Bullets animation fix for Minigun.
  • Menu fonts no longer force proportional shadow direction and shadow distance in the menu parameters.
  • Fixed mapping for the Uzi weapon mesh.
  • Fixed mapping for the Minigun weapon mesh.

General changes:

• Crosshair selection has been added, and it comes with different color and size options!
  • New menu image and menu music have been added!
  • Added a new "Special Thanks" section to the Extras menu.
  • MODDING – Added the ability to specify mouse cursors.
  • MODDING – Added saved cvars to show/hide the cheats info, and paused message.
  • MODDING – Added debug menu available in the editor to control debug variables. Invoked with the '.' key.
  • MODDING – Added "sam_bSkipMovies" saved cvar to skip the level intro and outro movies. Applies during gameplay and also stops the menu "attract" movies from playing.
  • MODDING – Added visible version of Entity ID to the Serious Editor 2 entity properties panel.
  • MODDING – Added ability to specify mouse cursors (In the Serious Editor).

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They are right, I did not see that coming. I'm tempted, SS2 is the only one of the old Sam games I didn't play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom