Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
it was very obvious from the beginning Josh never liked bg. you do not dissect things you love on the table to figure out how they work and why you or other people love them

you don’t?
How can you say you love someone without being willing to disembowel them?

IIRC, Josh has said BG1 is the best IE game; it's BG2 he likes to criticize.
His favorite is Icewind Dale, the one he worked on. He didn't like how BG didn't follow all the rules and had too much empty space.

Perhaps I'm misremembering, but I could swear I remember some vaguely equivocating quote about how BG1 is the most complete and well-rounded package in the IE catalogue, and therefore it's allowable to label it the "best"; I do know that IWD is his favorite, it's one of the things that's always made me cut him a little slack (because obviously IWD is the best IE game).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Last edited:

Diggfinger

Arcane
I hate Josh Sawyer's hypocrisy as much as anyone else. He's made zero fucking progress towards Darklands 2, which is something that when Arnold Hendrick was alive was a real possibility but he clearly didn't actually want to happen, probably because it would require too much reading.

As for Pillars of Eternity, there was an audience that wanted that and...

No. You know what. Fuck that. Fuck this asshole. You can't sell out and then whine about being this artist who is bound by his audience. This is the most shameless thing I've seen since Blink 182.

original.gif

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Now we have game directors and design directors"

How is this not confusing? :\ And what was wrong with "lead designer"?

The owners were skeptical about it. They thought one person having control over the entire project would result in bad things.

"That's our job." -- Urquhart and Parker

Flying Dutchman

Learned
"Now we have game directors and design directors"

How is this not confusing? :\ And what was wrong with "lead designer"?

"That's our job." -- Urquhart and Parker

Minor edit on the last line if the rumors are true.

Isn't a design director a studio role, and game director is focused specifically on a game? If so... yeah, that's still kind of confusing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Isn't a design director a studio role, and game director is focused specifically on a game?

He's the design director for the whole studio similar to how Boyarsky (formerly Avellone) is the creative director for the whole studio but there are also creative leads on individual titles (though I guess they'll be renaming those creative directors too...?).

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Hmm, Roguey got me thinking. Was the reason Urquhart even made peace with Cain and Boyarski due to the fact that the main creative in the studio, Avellone, left? I always got the feeling that there was no love lost between the Troika group and Obsidian, not that anything was said one way or another that could lead you to that decision. I mean when Troika was around, whenever Obsidian or Black Isle was mentioned in some places, a lot of people would immediately bring up Troika as well.

Plus, the fact that Obsidian's games were essentially all spinoffs or sequels until 2010 with Alpha Protocol, which bombed, is definitely something that I would think could bring up an inferiority complex. Everyone, myself included, always gave Obsidian a TON of slack because for years we blamed publishers, which is what they said without actually saying it. Then the moment they got Pillars they essentially shit the bed, disproving what we all felt about them. Whereas Boyarski and Cain would readily admit that they didn't really know what they were doing sometimes, and early on realized that they had wanted to make games, not run a business and hated that aspect of it, which was a HUGE reason for their company failing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Was the reason Urquhart even made peace with Cain and Boyarski due to the fact that the main creative in the studio, Avellone, left? I always got the feeling that there was no love lost between the Troika group and Obsidian, not that anything was said one way or another that could lead you to that decision.

Any bitterness they had would have been about Fallout 2 (Feargus demanding more creative control), not what happened after.

Testownia

it was very obvious from the beginning Josh never liked bg. you do not dissect things you love on the table to figure out how they work and why you or other people love them

you don’t?
I don't have to dissect a game I like to know why it's good.

You reserve the harshest criticism to products you love. Unless you're a trend-chasing, Patreon-begging piece of shit YouTuber, spending multiple hours on a movie/game/series that everyone and their mother knows is bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom