Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help me find a city builder that isn't Rimworld

sser

Arcane
Developer
If you're looking at something like Evil Genius you could try Dungeons III. It's usually on sale somewhere for very cheap.

Perkel

Arcane
Possibly an unconventional choice, but for me Stronghold/Stronghold Crusader hits a good city-builder balance of building an economy and warfare. Definitely not as large a scope as some others, but what it does, it does very well.

I know they are not full city building games but imho the best build your base and warfare games that do it imho really good are Battle Isle Andosia War and Earth2150 and Warzone2100. In all those games you have main HQ in which you build, research etc while you send small detachments via air to set up new bases on missions and extract resources out of them.

laclongquan

Arcane
NO one mention Startopia yet?

While Startopia like a business tycoon gaem, but it's not JUST a tycoon game. Think of it as building tourist traps of a city.

When it get to the number of a small town (1000+) the fucking game is really interesting and prone to crash. Or actual game's stop functioning due to huge AI processing.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Feel like playing one of these and trying to find a reason not to play Rimworld yet again. I tried Per Aspera but it just bored me watching progress bars. Tried Surviving the Aftermath but something was off about it, couldn't quite get into it, like the resource model was too convoluted or something. I like games where you have to build an efficient town but also murder things. If the only challenge is resources or random disasters, pass.
Port Royal 1 lets you murder things with your ships, and also manage your town at the same time. You can play as corsair, merchant or pirate. Combat is cool, but can become a bit repetitive later on (once you manage to capture a British ship of the line, you should just consider the game won and move on).
The management is simplified Patrician 3.

What about space games like Star sector and X3? Aren't they about managing efficient factories/trade routes and murdering things?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
- Dragon Quest Builders 2 - building town is interesting and there is some gameplay attached to it. The building is just fun.
- Amazing Cultivation Simulator - Rim World but in chinese fantasy. Imho it has "heart" and there is actually a lot of gameplay there and it is fairly hard to achieve end game goals. Just exploring systems and fantasy world imho is intersting.

Do you have to defend your cities and manage your NPCs in DQB2?

Perkel

Arcane

Yes but it is fairly straight forward. It is hard to describe really game as there isn't really anything like this on market. Think of something like mission structured small village buider with some exploration defense and battles.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

Yes but it is fairly straight forward. It is hard to describe really game as there isn't really anything like this on market. Think of something like mission structured small village buider with some exploration defense and battles.
Does it support local coop with Steam in offline mode and a single key?

Perkel

Arcane
Does it support local coop with Steam in offline mode and a single key?

idk. I played it in coop with friend. Though you need to first finish prologue for multi to unlock.
There is no split screen so local coop no.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
You could also try Kenshi if you haven't already. It is an hybrid, and the city building might be a bit too simplistic, but it gives you a lot of freedom.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Played Kenshi. My last run I did the 'escaped slaves' start. Laboriously broke out of the Holy Nation work camp, then came back and broke a bunch more people out. Eventually started a settlement to the south, east of the swamp. Unfortunately the Holy Nation does not forget and sent raids, worse than the prayer day guys. The first couple I survived, but then they sent paladins with all stats in the 70s. Lol. My wall crossbows didn't even hurt them. They wiped the village and re-enslaved my dudes, I figured that was a good way to leave it.

I've mostly sated my city-builder itch with Anno 1800, and Evil Genius 2 comes out next week.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom