Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why are train games so disappointing?

Acrux

Arcane
Train simulations seem to think I want to be the owner of a train company and focus too much on economic development, or think I want to play a puzzle game with tracks. I don't want either of those! What I would really like is a digital model train city - laying out the tracks, possibly building a town around it.

Does anything like that worth playing exist?

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Train simulations seem to think I want to be the owner of a train company and focus too much on economic development, or think I want to play a puzzle game with tracks. I don't want either of those! What I would really like is a digital model train city - laying out the tracks, possibly building a town around it.

chris sawyer's locomotion and openttd are your options. Besides that maybe simcity 4?

ValeVelKal

Arcane
I liked Transport Fever 2, as a modernized TTD though I find the track building too simplified.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
A lot of city builders have that. See for example "workers and resources", and they also use real models.

Acrux

Arcane
Sid Meier's Railroads, RR Tycoon, Railway Empire and so on are the ones I'm disappointed in.

I'd dismissed OpenTTD as the same, but looking at some videos it actually looks like it might fit what I'm looking for. I hadn't realized it was based on a Chris Sawyer game, so I'm more inclined towards it.

I'm disappointed by the economic simulation being too simple/dumb/abstracted. Transport Fever actually gave the feeling that this is just building a digital model train scenery. Maybe that could be passable for the OP? Just remember to turn on the infinite money in the start options.

spectre

Arcane
Well, Transport Tycoon Deluxe was the game that scratched that itch for me back in the day and I've been long looking for something along these lines, but with more eyecandy.
Not sure if that's what you're looking for for, but the closest I came is this little thing:

Edit: is media embedding fug'd? Here's a direct link just in case:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/598960/Mashinky/

Yep, looks like it's fug'd.

It's basically a one-man project, still in early access (yeah, that's two red flags right there), but contrary to expectations, this guy actually seems to know what he's doing
and while the feature rollout isn't the fastest, it seems to be progressing steadily at its own pace. It plays pretty much like TTD but is quite purdy once you swith to the all bells and whistles 3D mode.
Mashinky-2.jpg

You can also toggle a simplified 2D view, which is useful when you want to place stuff efficiently:
mashinky4-620x349.jpg

Like I said, the head dev really looks like he knows what he's doing.

It's still EA, so the gameplay isn't yet finished, can be a bit barebones (or used to be, back when I checked), but is entirely sufficient. You find two places that need connecting and types of goods that need to be hauled and it's entirely up to you to make it happen.
As you haul goods, you earn tokens which can be used for progression, various upgrades, unlocks etc. The towns will grow based on the cargo you deliver. You will also get a random task from time to time.
There's no pressure to make it all hyper-efficient, unless you want to unlock something really quickly, you can spend your time designing a scenic route, hop on the train and pull the line to make it go choo choo.

Last edited:

Why are train games so disappointing?

Because they are about trains.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Train simulations seem to think I want to be the owner of a train company

Nigga what?

The last game like that was Railroad Tycoon 3, back in the olde tymes of 2003 when cro-magnons and neanderthals roamed the earth and there were only 2 genders. Well there's also Sid Meier's RAILROADS!!111!!!1oneoneone!1! but that's so shit and even that is ancient.

The only train games since the average millennial has been alive is basically Train Simulator. Which is exactly what it sounds like. A simulator. Designed down to the most autistic level of detail.

Acrux

Arcane
Train simulations seem to think I want to be the owner of a train company

Nigga what?

The last game like that was Railroad Tycoon 3, back in the olde tymes of 2003 when cro-magnons and neanderthals roamed the earth and there were only 2 genders. Well there's also Sid Meier's RAILROADS!!111!!!1oneoneone!1! but that's so shit and even that is ancient.

The only train games since the average millennial has been alive is basically Train Simulator. Which is exactly what it sounds like. A simulator. Designed down to the most autistic level of detail.

Let me add a third item to the original list: I don't want to literally drive the fucking train. While I admit it takes a certain level of retard to be actively seeking out train games, thinking I'm actually the driver goes to a whole new level. Even my son - who is literally autistic - said he thought those look boring.

2003 sounds about right for when I would have stopped playing new games. IWD2 had recently been released so I was content, plus I was newly married. I didn't get back into gaming until about 2 years ago.

rezaf

Cipher
Sid Meier's Railroads, RR Tycoon, Railway Empire and so on are the ones I'm disappointed in.

My bad then. I just remember being so disappointed in SMR because, opposite to you, I was looking for a serious RRT successor and I found SMR to be more like "Look! Purty choo choos!" instead.

I like OpenTTD, but it scratches a totally different itch for me.

Anyway, I hope you find something suitable.

Norfleet

If you want a train game that isn't disappointing, you could try Factorio. The problem with train games is that they're train games, and the thing about trains is that they're a means to an end. Trying to make them the entire point of the game misses the reason why trains exist.

Derek Larp

Cipher
There is Eisenbahn.exe Professional

https://eepshopping.de/?lang=2

Apparently it is a virtual model train.
As with actual model trains, you can spend hundreds of (real) reichsmark on (virtual) trains and models like houses, cars and people...

:troll:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

It's actually the other way around, train tycoons nowadays work like rail model simulators, which is exactly what you want.

Difera

Educated
I'd recommend Cities Skylines with the Mass Transit DLC + a bunch of train-focused mods. Surprisingly, I had way more fun with trains that way than with Transp9rt Fever 2 (which is also a good game).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom