Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

KVVRR

Learned
Here's the source, it was posted here last friday by Kasparov.
https://www.pcgamer.com/disco-elysium-is-getting-even-more-political/
If, however, you fear change, you can pick your VO mode, choosing to play with only the original voice acting, the new stuff except for the narrator, or the whole lot.
I'm assuming that "the narrator" refers to the skills too, since it's the same actor as far as I recall. Could be wrong, though.

Polyphemus

Educated
I don't like full-voice over in games anyway, so I would have preferred if resources were expended on things like better C&C, but I recognize that I'm very much in the minority there compared to a general audience. Regardless, I'm glad the game has done so well. I don't really care if it was an RPG or not, it has some of the best writing the medium has seen in a long time.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Don't tell me that you, people, play it because of deep RPG mechanics, profound C&C and enthralling exploration. You play it because of the writing. DE sans RPG elements would still be a success, but DE sans ZA/UM writing would be a failure
Did anyone in the history of the human race ever play Planescape: Torment for its deep RPG mechanics? Apart from Lilura, obviously.

Polyphemus

Educated
Don't tell me that you, people, play it because of deep RPG mechanics, profound C&C and enthralling exploration. You play it because of the writing. DE sans RPG elements would still be a success, but DE sans ZA/UM writing would be a failure
I mean, okay. I don't know if anyone claims otherwise. Knights of the Old Republic 2 minus the writing would be absolute garbage, but it's a favorite on here nonetheless.

jackofshadows

Magister
Did anyone in the history of the human race ever play Planescape: Torment for its deep RPG mechanics? Apart from Lilura, obviously.
I did a solo thief run once long time ago, was kinda fun (smashed a lot of extra npcs in the process). But don't listen to me, I'm an Arcanum's combat enjoyer.

Lambach

Arcane

I once tried forgoing the classic WIS + INT build in favor of stacking CON up to 25 for that ultra-regen in combat, but gave up quickly because playing a retard that focuses primarily on combat in PST is just not fun. Not sure if that counts.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

yes, baby, very deep

:drink:

Testownia

I think that next to Raziel's "Ozar Midrashim", The Detective's "Instrument of Surrender" is the best "main character theme" out there. I especially enjoy the last dozen or so seconds of the track, which carry a more hopeful note, a nod towards the player.

Testownia

I don't like full-voice over in games anyway, so I would have preferred if resources were expended on things like better C&C, but I recognize that I'm very much in the minority there compared to a general audience. Regardless, I'm glad the game has done so well. I don't really care if it was an RPG or not, it has some of the best writing the medium has seen in a long time.

Full voice-over has its advantages when dealing with dialogue since it forces the developers to make conversations sound like actual speech between two human beings, instead of walking information and quips dispensers. That being said, ZA/UM claims that the game was always written with voice-over in mind, so we'll see.

KVVRR

Learned
I think that next to Raziel's "Ozar Midrashim", The Detective's "Instrument of Surrender" is the best "main character theme" out there. I especially enjoy the last dozen or so seconds of the track, which carry a more hopeful note, a nod towards the player.
The music in this game's amazing. If there's something you know for certain the devs had in mind while creating the game, it was that. Even with songs from the same band that don't directly appear in the game (only in other tracks, like the one you mentioned) you could infer a LOT of inspiration form.

Wait: Valhalla Dancehall? Valhalla was the norseman version of heaven, where heroes would live forever. Elysium was the greek version of "heaven", where heroes would live forever. A dancehall is a place where you... dance to music. one of its more common genre being Disco. did Robert Kurvitz just base the entire game on this band?
What if you didn’t lose your memory? What if something in Martinaise came and stored it all away. For you to slowly open one box at a time. So you can choose which parts to keep. Keep almost none of it. Only the flowers on the windowsill. Only the distant sound of a radio. Lose all the actors, the dark shadows, leave only the still lifes, the blissful distant wash of waves. If everybody knew -- you never did. She’ll be coming soon. That is all.

Harthwain

Magister
Full voice-over has its advantages when dealing with dialogue since it forces the developers to make conversations sound like actual speech between two human beings, instead of walking information and quips dispensers. That being said, ZA/UM claims that the game was always written with voice-over in mind, so we'll see.
You need a top notch voice acting for that. And voices suiting the characters. The more voices you have, the more complicated and expensive it gets.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Is there a way to play the new content but cut out the new VO? Perhaps the offending VO is all bundled in several asset files that can be simply renamed?
You can turn the voice volume down to zero and then just enjoying reading the game without distractions. Which is what I did for my first playthrough, and what I'll be doing again after I play this latest version.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Is there a way to play the new content but cut out the new VO? Perhaps the offending VO is all bundled in several asset files that can be simply renamed?
You can turn the voice volume down to zero and then just enjoying reading the game without distractions. Which is what I did for my first playthrough, and what I'll be doing again after I play this latest version.

But why not just turn VO off?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

http://atelier.zaumstudio.com

The right outfit, in the right situation, can make all the difference in the world. ZA/UM presents an original range of sweet and stylish bodywear. Based on designs seen in the smash-hit role-playing game Disco Elysium - this is fiction made fabric.

All garments are designed by ZA/UM and made in Estonia by a single seamstress to ensure the highest quality.

All clothing items are limited edition. Only 15 of each jacket and seven cloaks are available as part of this first batch. If the items prove popular we will make more batches available in the future.

Get yours now.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
[All garments are designed by ZA/UM and made in Estonia by a single seamstress to ensure the highest quality.]

If by estonia they mean Bangladesh and by a single seamstress they mean bunch of orphans in a sweatshop then yes.

Source: got few acquaintances in clothing importing business most products comes from bangladesh.

Vatnik Wumao
As a fun fact, the older gent in the video is Kurvitz senior who also happens to have been voted Coolest Man In Estonia several years in a row. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom