Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) - Build Engine powered FPS by Duke Nukem 3D mappers - now with Aftershock DLC

Wunderbar

Arcane
"She brought some new toys" - shows one new toy and in less than a second goes back to the old toys
there were two toys - a jet ski... and a third type of shotgun ammo!
I thought it was lazy that a shotgun and a grenade launcher have the same sprite, but now they are copying it for the third time with this flak cannon.

The Decline

Arcane
I'm playing through this right now. Sure it doesn't reach the same heights as its predecessors, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's a worthy addition to the Build Engine series of games.

Curratum

Let's be completely honest - Duke 3D didn't have the best level design in the world in a lot of its levels, and Shadow Warrior is pretty shite. The "Build legacy" is mostly Blood and parts of Duke 3D.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I also hope that the trailer just isn't the best.
After the biggest criticisms of the game were "too tame/standard weapons" and "too many samey city levels" - showing mostly the same weapons and large city levels in an extension trailer is odd, to say the least.

Don't get me wrong, some of those city levels blow anything seen in other Build engine games out of the water (especially that shopping mall one).
But there is definitely a "too much of a good thing".

Of course, even if the expansion ends up being only city levels, I'll still like it.
I'll just also bemoan the squandered potential.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
ExP5n1uWYAAHlYD
Where are her boobs?

Lemming42

Arcane
Shadow Warrior and Duke are both mixed bags IMO. A lot of Shadow Warrior is shit with some really fuckheaded design choices, and the Lo Wang character is an unfunny nightmare with his three crap catchphrases repeated ad infinitum. YOU COMING APART!! every 30 seconds. Shut up, please god stop.

As for Duke, LA Meltdown is mostly great, Lunar Apocalypse is mostly crap and Shrapnel City is mostly alright. Blood blows both of its competitors out of the water so hard it's not even funny.

I really liked Ion Fury, it feels like it stands alongside the Build legacy but also separate from it. Distinctly different gameplay from Duke et al, Build with a modern twist. In its best moments it matches Blood, in its worst moments it's no worse than the weaker parts of Shadow Warrior. Only real problem I had with it was the amount of huge open city levels in the early game, when the game's strengths obviously lie in tight corridor-based design. Shelly gets kind of annoying after an hour, but no more so than Duke Nukem does, and far less than Lo fucking Wang does. The expansion should be a lot of fun even if it's literally just more of the same game.

Silentstorm

Learned
Duke Nukem 3D was at it's best in city levels, anything related to spaceships or more full blown sci-fi levels tended to be a lot worse, that being said, Ion Fury's city levels are kinda forgettable with rare exceptions like that Tetris moment, i also didn't really care for most of the weapons aside from the Bowling Bombs which are amazing and fun, and the Revolver because it's secondary fire is pretty fun, the rest are...much more generic than i expected and not as fun to use, but i had to because they are there for a reason.

You'd think an energy crossbow would be cool, you'd be wrong, DUSK did that super crossbow thing a lot better as it's bolts pierced everything including walls and you could do silly things like making the green mystic bolts jump and flip around.

The enemies were also mostly generic, i don't know, i just was expecting a game with much more personality and character, and then i found Ion Fury to be mostly forgettable with only some cool weapons and rare great moments to it, i think Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior aren't the best games ever, but they had more personality in a way, and cooler arsenals, and let's not even mention Blood which is still the best Build Engine game, the Tesla Cannon itself feels more like a cool futuristic weapon than quite a few of Ion Fury's guns.

Parsifarka

Arcane
Everybody's fighting over Duke, Lo and Caleb but the kool kidz know Redneck Rampage trilogy is the peak BUILD game: psychobilly, rideable motorbikes and boats with mounted guns, dynamite-throwing crossbows, space vixens, bourbon and sawn-off shotguns. Just everything anyone should ask for, fags won't understand.

robinox

Educated
my biggest gripe with the game is that it needed more and more varied enemies.
i hope the expansion will expand first and foremost on the bad guys.

Silentstorm

Learned
Or at least do more cyberpunk enemies, the cult guys are kinda a step in the right direction alongside the spider heads, but the rest maybe feels too normal sci-fi like those mechs you fight or something out of a survival horror game.

I guess the cyberpunk aspect just feels lacking, or at least make the enemies crazier, like, the design for those robed cultists is fine, but the Blood cultists were more memorable just because of the way they spoke.

Like, some punks wearing neon clothes and having mohawks would actually be kinda cool, particularly if they have something like floating bikes, there are some cool things the game does, like, you do fight a freaking helicopter, but i guess the game overall feels a bit less insane than the old Build games...which is probably what they were going for and i was just expecting a bit too much.

geno

Savant

Ion Fury: Aftershock DLC will be released in summer 2021. The soundtrack for the game is written and composed by Jarkko Rotsten. The OST is actually almost ready, as in the final polishing state. The soundtrack will be filled with more than 60 minutes of tracker music.
The soundtrack will be released on all major digital platforms when the game is released. Watch this space!
Ion Fury is developed by Voidpoint and published by 3D Realms.
If only the other new games from 3D Realms were as good as IF at music...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom