Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Is there such a thing as Souls-like?

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
The way Geo and Soul work are literally the only thing that ressemble to DS

But more importantly the interconnectedness of the map, focus on exploration and combat, the way the lore is presented, the atmosphere of some of the locations,...

Yeah, exactely like all those games I mentioned, doesn't make them Souls-like
Shit by those aspects I could even add RE1+2 to the list
Then what does it make a game a souls like for you?

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Souls-like game with no stamina based combat? Nope.

I'll add Lucah: Born of a Dream in the discussion, I enjoyed this game, although the graphics and plot are very hard to sell.

looks trippy as fuck

NSwitchDS_LucahBornAfADream_03.jpg

Curratum

If you are looking for a souls-like and refuse to play Salt & Sanctuary, you're doing yourself a massive disservice.

The game has the most DS writing, tone, setting and vibe in anything that's not made by From Soft. There is tons of well-hidden or obscure content, lore, mechanics and interactions / outcomes, the tone is dark as hell and the combat is snappier and sharper than any shitty 3D non-From DS wannabe.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm all about gameplay and fun, but just looking at some of those armour sets and they're probably my fave from any DS style game.........

The presence of very practical, no nonsense armor that doesn't look like WoW pauldron and other disgusting thing is one of the many things that made the souls series unique and its own flavor in the first place so I don't really get your argument here because everything you show looks like gutter trash ultra high fantasy nonsense and I need eye bleach right now.

What don't you get about personal design preferences,
is it the only thing you can object to and even at that - sujbectively?
You can like any shit you want, "souls-like" is not about graphics, it's about gameplay.

Falksi

Arcane
I'm all about gameplay and fun, but just looking at some of those armour sets and they're probably my fave from any DS style game.........

The presence of very practical, no nonsense armor that doesn't look like WoW pauldron and other disgusting thing is one of the many things that made the souls series unique and its own flavor in the first place so I don't really get your argument here because everything you show looks like gutter trash ultra high fantasy nonsense and I need eye bleach right now.

https://www.heb.com/category/shop/everyday-essentials/laundry/bleach/490069/490278

fork

Look at all the retards suggesting 2D games, when he specifically excluded them in the OP (first sentence, you imbeciles), lel.
Yes, S&S and Hollow Knight are great and scratch that itch, but he asked for 3D souls-likes.

mogwaimon

Magister
Look at all the retards suggesting 2D games, when he specifically excluded them in the OP (first sentence, you imbeciles), lel.
Yes, S&S and Hollow Knight are great and scratch that itch, but he asked for 3D souls-likes.

he literally mentioned all of the 3D ones in the OP that matter, except maybe Severance. There's just not that many good 3D Souls clones.
Hollow Knight would be another candidate,
I didn't realize all the Metroids, Castlevanias, Batman Arkam Asylum and System Shock 1 were inspired by Dark Souls...

confirmed illiterate, I and another person explained our reasoning behind suggesting Hollow Knight specifically and yet you resort to hyperbole and tomfoolery.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Moral Shell is basically a simplified version of Souls series. Decent enough, although it lacks enemy variety. Upgrading is RE4-like, pretty arcade-y and straightforward. Has a couple of it's own twists on the regular Souls formula, but not all of them are necessarily for the better. 7/10

fork

he literally mentioned all of the 3D ones in the OP that matter, except maybe Severance.

He didn't, you fucking cretin. There are many more; Code Vein, Ashen, Hellpoint, Immortal Unchained, just to name a few that immediately come to mind. And even if he did, the correct answer then is not to recommend something he specifically did not ask for, but to simply say: there aren't any.

There's just not that many good 3D Souls clones.

There are none, to be precise.

Jesus, people are getting dumber by the day, even if you think that shouldn't even be possible anymore.

mogwaimon

Magister
you yourself said those games were shit so, again 'he literally mentioned all of the 3D ones in the OP that MATTER'. besides if you've been around here for any length of time you'd understand that Lyric Suite probably isn't the type of guy who enjoys weeb shit like Code Vein, so why bother suggesting it?

also, again, reading comprehension fail but he didn't say 'no 2D games at all' just 'pixelated 2D sidescrollers that are only considered Dark Souls because it is teh hard', which I took to mean that a 2D game might qualify if it actually exhibited Souls-like qualities and wasn't some cheap poorly made piece of shit that the devs affixed the Souls label to to try and attract tryhards and people who just think hard = Souls-like.

fork

Yeah, next time someone asks me for a place to eat steak in my town, followed by the qualifyier "and please no shitty vegan place", I'm gonna recommend the one vegan restaurant we have here because we don't have steak houses and the vegan place isn't shitty. He specifically only exluded shitty vegan places after all.

mogwaimon

Magister
you'll also note he didn't confirm 'no sidescrollers at all' until after I made the HK post. Whatevs, it doesn't matter anyways, what's done is done.

cruel

Cipher
The only Souls-like games that were actually worth playing for me were Nioh, Nioh 2, Surge 2 and Code Vein (you need to tolerate anime for this one though). Rest is either average or shit.

Regarding Lords of the Fallen - the critique is actually valid, and mainly based on one thing: combat sucks. There is a permanent 300ms+ lag attached to each and every movement you make, which makes combat absolute shit. In a game like this, combat is one of the most important aspects, so I cannot comprehend how anyone can think of this game as good. Surge 2 is a masterpiece in combat design in comparison, while Nioh and Nioh 2 don't even compete in the same league.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Just removed Hellpoint from some inventory to check out what ghetto Dark Souls is like lmao.

Gotta say, those Souls-like are really basically just Souls copy cats. I had the same experience when i tried Lords of the Fallen (only did the tutorial but i already saw a move set that was lifted off straight from Dark Souls itself).

To be honest though, i don't mind them ripping off the series, as long as the games are decent enough.

This Hellpoint is supposed to be notable because of the level design but right off the bat i can see how they did it: everything looks the same lul. It's easy to make large sprawling levels when you can just copy paste the same rooms everywhere (that's how the catacombs in Dark Souls 3 felt like to me). While the graphics aren't exactly bad, they also feel somewhat dated (or anachronistic rather. They feel like something out of a mid 2000 MMO). Atmosphere is like a mix between Warhammer 40.000 and Babylon 5, heh.

Game is less janky than i expected though, i'll give it that much. The combat definitely feels Souls-like, whatever the quality of the actual game may be. Is there even multiplayer in this thing? Can't imagine many people playing, when the pvp was already reduced in Dark Souls itself.

Most notable thing so far: a jump button that actually works. Amazing to see that in a Souls game.

Last edited:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Soul-like is a marketing buzz-word, but, taking it to the extreme, it can be considered the modern equivalent of old arcade coin-ops, when you are happy to improve your gameplay by replaying the same level over and over.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
The power of Dark Souls' level design is that you actually see this as a places where somebody "lives" and not just standing waiting for you to come. Undead City, Anor Londo, Duke's Archives are masterpieces of such design.

What Soulslike can compare with this?

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Funny that you mention that because i'm roaming around Hellpoint and the level design is actually pretty good. I mean, in terms of how things are interconnected, where the secrets are etc. The problem is that it doesn't feel like a real place, all though the game has an interesting atmosphere all considered.

You can tell i'm addicted to this formula 'cause i downloaded this game more as a joke but i'm actually enjoying it now lol.

BTW, i just checked Mortal Shell on steam and the game still can't be bought? I thought it was out already what is this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom