Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Obsidian working on a project to be announced this E3/VGA

screencaps from someone's linkedin
1) lead narrative designer (march 2020 - present) - an upcoming, hush-hush project
2) cinematics director (may 2020 - present) - unannounced project, cinematic design + direction + presentation + performance direction
3) senior software engineer (november 2019 - present) - working on an unannounced project at Obsidian to help develop a prototype game proposal. Molding an existing code base to fit new requirements as well as writing new code to fit the needs of the project. The team is incredibly small and agile with frequent shifting of goals and priorities. I'm the primary engineering resource for the project's needs. These needs include console platform support, build systems, engine feature support, and new feature development.

Sawyer's new project uses existing codebase? He's making a FNV mod.

I'm not sure that's Sawyer's game, but if it is the existing codebase is quite possibly Pillars of Eternity.

Codex Year of the Donut
3) senior software engineer (november 2019 - present) - working on an unannounced project at Obsidian to help develop a prototype game proposal. Molding an existing code base to fit new requirements as well as writing new code to fit the needs of the project. The team is incredibly small and agile with frequent shifting of goals and priorities. I'm the primary engineering resource for the project's needs. These needs include console platform support, build systems, engine feature support, and new feature development.
this sounds more like a UE4 developer than a Unity developer fyi
take from that what you will

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Ahem.

Sawyer project or other prototype team? (Or even PoE 3 :P) From Senior Engineer Brett Klooster, who has re-joined Obsidian last month, previously worked on PoE and Tyranny: https://www.linkedin.com/in/brett-klooster-a9021651/

Senior Software Engineer

Company Name Obsidian Entertainment (Full-time)
Dates Employed Nov 2019 – Present
Employment Duration 2 mos
Location Irvine, CA

Working on an unannounced project at Obsidian to help develop a prototype game proposal. Molding an existing code base to fit new requirements as well as writing new code to fit the needs of the project. The team is incredibly small and agile with frequent shifting of goals and priorities. I am the primary engineering resource for the project's needs. These needs include console platform support, build systems, engine feature support, and new feature development.

He seems to be specialized in Unity. Maybe he responded to Unity Programmer job posting posted in August.

Cael

Arcane
Shills.jpg

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Epic Games, Valve, and Nintendo -- well known independent video game developers.
One's a publisher, the other two run a storefront. Not comparable. They're basically extinct nowadays, but Obsidian comes from a time when independent developers could actually be mid-tier.

Codex Year of the Donut
Epic Games, Valve, and Nintendo -- well known independent video game developers.
One's a publisher, the other two run a storefront. Not comparable. They're basically extinct nowadays, but Obsidian comes from a time when independent developers could actually be mid-tier.
All three of those develop games. And unlike Obsidian, they didn't use a publisher for it.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
All three of those develop games. And unlike Obsidian, they didn't use a publisher for it.
Because getting big enough to publish your own games is just so easy. It totally never backfired on any company that bothered to attempt it.

(RIP Looking Glass.)

Codex Year of the Donut
Because getting big enough to publish your own games is just so easy. It totally never backfired on any company that bothered to attempt it.

(RIP Looking Glass.)
Having a large publisher is the inverse of being an independent developer though.
Obsidian's first game made was published by fucking LucasArts.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Having a large publisher is the inverse of being an independent developer though.
Obsidian's first game made was published by fucking LucasArts.
You're joking, right? You realize Valve and Epic relied on publishers for a time too, right?

Not that Obsidian even wanted to publish their own games. Apparently Feargus's plan was always to get bought out.

Codex Year of the Donut
You're joking, right? You realize Valve and Epic relied on publishers for a time too, right?
yea and I wouldn't call them an independent developer if they still did because they were reliant upon funding from a much larger publisher
which was the entire point of the discussion -- obsidian never made a single game without a large publisher

Nano

Arcane
Patron
yea and I wouldn't call them an independent developer if they still did because they were reliant upon funding from a much larger publisher
which was the entire point of the discussion -- obsidian never made a single game without a large publisher
I'm starting to think you just enjoy being a contrarian for contrarianism's sake.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm starting to think you just enjoy being a contrarian for contrarianism's sake.
Maybe I just think applying the phrase "independent developer" to a developer that's reliant upon an external financial source is incorrect?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There's "garage dev" and then there's "independent." Obsidian was free to work with any publisher willing to pay them, not anymore.

ExVf2LLW8AQ2nk3

ExVy3UrW8AAnHr5

Anyway, whatever project this is, it's not Sawyer's. He's the only writer on that and it has no combat systems.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I thought Dollarhyde was also working on Sawyer's project.
He was getting feedback from her, but last year he said he was the only one.

tfw you're the only writer on a project so you can use whatever bizarre logic you want to gate the flow of a conversation

what if i just use boolean variables to track game states and no integers ever

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
That is just so sad.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom