Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

Fishy

Savant
Yeah, the 9S playthrough is weaksauce and imho the low point of the game, but if you can stick through it, things pick up afterwards. That said, if you dislike the mix, well, it's just going to be more of the same. Personally, I was a bit dumbfounded at how much I enjoyed it, despite disliking many many of the tropes on display and not finding anything special in isolation. Well apart from the music, the music is magnificent. But otherwise, graphics, art, combat, hacking, shmup, story: all of that is serviceable/average, nothing exceptional. And don't ask me about the "deep philosophy"... But together? I can't tell why but it really, really worked for me.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
The story was the thing that kept me pushing through the game to the (true) end, including subquests. This it obviously subjective, but rarely I have found a story worth noting in video games, as the Nier/Nier-Automata one.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Finished this. Think it's one of the finest games I've played on the strength of its music, writing, style, and good-enough gameplay. I was annoyed by how it does that very typically Japanese thing of blowing up a perfectly fine status quo near the end, though it all fell into place.

However if Ending E is canon then the status quo is partially restored so :M

Anyway, a lot of wrpg writers could learn a thing or two from this when it comes to delivering information about a new, unfamiliar setting and making you care about the characters within it.

Combat was mostly easy on normal thanks to my health-regenerating build, but I don't mind. Thought it was peculiar how I only had to use those audio/visual/movement-restoring items maybe in three battles total? I bought like 5 each as soon as they were available and had to use most of them in the first fight with those status afflictions, so then I bought a whole bunch of each but it was largely for nothing since they never throw anything like that at you again.

Of course I'll be checking out the Nier Replicant remake after it's released. Since the Nier hipsters claim it has an even better soundtrack I'm sure it'll be worth it for that alone.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Of course I'll be checking out the Nier Replicant remake after it's released. Since the Nier hipsters claim it has an even better soundtrack I'm sure it'll be worth it for that alone.

It has, but I fear that the remake bungles it with an epic orchestral remake.

You can of course always get the album, but I think it becomes an even better experience, when you associate the music with memories of the game.

Dodo1610

Arcane

When your PC port is so broken that you rather hire a new company and start from scratch instead of patching it.
So the version I bought for 60$ at release is worse than the one I can rent for 1$ smh. I tried it and all the famous issues from Steam are gone, but it currently has no texture modding capabilities like the steam version.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Microsoft Store games are encrypted by default so you can't make any modifications to the files. If you're unlucky and a dev ships a broken product, you're completely fucked, at the mercy of Microsoft.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Finished this. Think it's one of the finest games I've played on the strength of its music, writing, style, and good-enough gameplay. I was annoyed by how it does that very typically Japanese thing of blowing up a perfectly fine status quo near the end, though it all fell into place.

However if Ending E is canon then the status quo is partially restored so :M

Since the Nier hipsters claim it has an even better soundtrack I'm sure it'll be worth it for that alone.
The soundtrack and story is better than Automata. Calling fans of Nier Replicant/Gestalt is just retarded. Stop being such a silly little cunt

Edit. Misread what Roguey wrote. Insult from me was unnecessary

Last edited:

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The soundtrack and story is better than Automata. Calling fans of Nier Replicant/Gestalt is just retarded. Stop being such a silly little cunt

I'm calling you Nier hipsters because you liked it before it was cool. :M
My apologies then. I misread what you wrote.

Funny thing is. When Replicant releases in April it will be praised by the very "journalists" that gave it shitty reviews when it originally released and wrote it off as a bizarre game not worth anyone's time.

Citizen

Holy shit, playing Nier Automata on hard is... hard? Most ranged attacks two-shot you and most melee attacks oneshot, thank god it has pretty frequent vending machines and checkpoints. The fight with an opera-singing robot was very intense, especially in bullet hell moments

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Because some people still understand that you dont need vast amounts of dialogue and animation and romance and sex and 50 pages worth of background to make people feel invested and empathize with your character. You just need a small robot trying to save his brother while tripping over a metal bar on the ground.

Silva

Arcane
Because some people still understand that you dont need vast amounts of dialogue and animation and romance and sex and 50 pages worth of background to make people feel invested and empathize with your character. You just need a small robot trying to save his brother while tripping over a metal bar on the ground. protagonist with tasty booty.
There corrected for you. :smug:

Citizen

You don't know the half of it.

I was sorta spoiled on this one because I watched a videogamedunkey review before playing, but I though the robots attacking and eating androids in the resistance camp was The Big Dark Twist(tm). The game does a great job making you care about the characters tho, not just the main cast, but also the NPCs like Pascal, 6O or that lovable robot that saves the animals in the forest area. I just hope it doesn't go full game of thrones in other endings

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom