Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rome: Total War Remastered

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I really enjoy the Invasio Barbarorum series because late antiquity is cool.

With you there, there's a reason BI was my favourite as a kid, even if I've not given Attila quite the same love (yet).

The fact that IB is a series is the problem though, I'm not sure where to start, and many of the old links / threads are full of dead images and broken downloads. It's strange to think people are working on current/future additions when their past work is in such a state of disrepair. :/

"What? You don't even speak Old Persian? What kind of history fan are you? :smug:"
Perfect tbh.

Mazisky

Magister
Xamenos the most popular games in China are Genshin Impact (coomer game), Conqueror's Blade (coomer game with swords) and Girls' Frontline (coomer game with guns).
I'm not denying big tits sell better in China (as they do pretty much everywhere).

They do not anymore. In the last few years you won't believe how many men would find offensive seiing big tits female characters in games.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Considering that the original runs like shit on modern machines and no real fixes are available, I’m kinda looking forward to this. Let’s hope they wont fuck up.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
They do not anymore. In the last few years you won't believe how many men would find offensive seiing big tits female characters in games.
Twitter is not the real world. The basics of marketing and the human nature did not suddenly change in the last few years. Sex still sells. We all know that, for once, it's not about the money.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The fact that IB is a series is the problem though, I'm not sure where to start, and many of the old links / threads are full of dead images and broken downloads. It's strange to think people are working on current/future additions when their past work is in such a state of disrepair. :/

Most of them should work, at least they did the last time I downloaded some of them.
My favorite of the series is Somnium Apostatae Iuliani since I like to re-paganize Christian Rome, and my boi Iulianus is the perfect emperor for that. You also get to play as Rome at its full extent, fighting wars on two or three fronts. Very cool.
Restitutor Orbis is the newest one, and it's pretty great too. The 3rd century crisis with Aurelian vs Zenobia vs the Gallic empire is just a great setting.
Flagellum Dei is a bit less polished but it's still great, think of it as a much improved Barbarian Invasion. Same with Ruina Romae.

Then there's a smaller mod that's inspired by (and has taken resources from) IB, but isn't part of the series: Ruins of Glory. It's much rougher than the official IB entries, but its unique scenario makes it cool. It's set after the conquest of Italy by Odoacer and you can play as any of the barbarian factions who have settled in Roman lands, or as the Kingdom of Italy, or as the Goths coming to fight Odoacer under order of the Byzantines, or as the remnants of the Roman Empire which still holds onto some territory in Illyria. My usual "make Rome pagan again" strategy is especially hard here though because for some reason, almost every settlement in the game is Christian... including some northern Germanic settlements in Denmark. Also the map is fully revealed by default, which is unusual for a Total War mod. So it's got a few quirks and bugs, but that's okay - the setting still makes it worth playing, and there are very few rebel settlements so you gotta declare war on a neighbor early on if you want to expand.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Considering that the original runs like shit on modern machines and no real fixes are available, I’m kinda looking forward to this. Let’s hope they wont fuck up.
They already have. Have you fucking seen the UI? Everything feels off. The only thing it's got going for it is the larger unit scale.
:takemyjewgold:
I will give them my shekels, but I will do so without enthusiasm and a pronounced sense of self-loathing.

Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
Trash, I dont see a single mechanical improvement in the tac screen - everything is superficial coating.

They are gonna downgrade it too and make troops stick together like glue like in modern iterations lul.

But what can you do when Warhammer shiteater fanboys keep swallowing stool.

lightbane

Arcane
In one hand, buying this is giving money to sell-out traitors to the Chink demons, and the price is too much for a decades-old game. On the other hand, as mentioned playing Rome nowadays can be quite hard without patches and such (nevermind mods that are long dead), so a remaster is welcome. Moreover, it doesn't seem like they'll forcibly implement modern politics like they did in Rome2, hopefully.
I suppose I'll wait and see for now.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
My favorite of the series is Somnium Apostatae Iuliani since I like to re-paganize Christian Rome, and my boi Iulianus is the perfect emperor for that. You also get to play as Rome at its full extent, fighting wars on two or three fronts. Very cool.
Restitutor Orbis is the newest one, and it's pretty great too. The 3rd century crisis with Aurelian vs Zenobia vs the Gallic empire is just a great setting.
Flagellum Dei is a bit less polished but it's still great, think of it as a much improved Barbarian Invasion. Same with Ruina Romae.

Awesome, thank you. ^^ I will definitely try to check those out in that order; I'm definitely up for Julian's ill fated quest to Make Jupiter Optimus Maximus Again.

Might try to look into making these old mods available on Steam if they're abandoned and/or the devs have no intention of updating them. I don't think we really lost anything with one-click mod installs and not having to wrangle with things as per the Good Old Days.

In one hand, buying this is giving money to sell-out traitors to the Chink demons, and the price is too much for a decades-old game. On the other hand, as mentioned playing Rome nowadays can be quite hard without patches and such (nevermind mods that are long dead), so a remaster is welcome. Moreover, it doesn't seem like they'll forcibly implement modern politics like they did in Rome2, hopefully.

Holy shit dude stop drinking engine coolant.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Might try to look into making these old mods available on Steam if they're abandoned and/or the devs have no intention of updating them. I don't think we really lost anything with one-click mod installs and not having to wrangle with things as per the Good Old Days.

I have a big collection of mods on my hard disk, and making them run on your Steam version is super easy peasy actually.

>extract mod folder to your Steam install
>right click on the game in your Steam library, go to properties
>enter the command line "-mod:rog" for example, which would launch the Ruins of Glory mod; just change the folder name depending on which mod you wanna launch, like "-mod:eb" for Europa Barbarorum, etc.

I also add -nm -ne which disables the intro movies and makes the game run in a borderless window for easy alt-tabbing during loading screens or enemy turns.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I have a big collection of mods on my hard disk, and making them run on your Steam version is super easy peasy actually.

>extract mod folder to your Steam install
>right click on the game in your Steam library, go to properties
>enter the command line "-mod:rog" for example, which would launch the Ruins of Glory mod; just change the folder name depending on which mod you wanna launch, like "-mod:eb" for Europa Barbarorum, etc.

I also add -nm -ne which disables the intro movies and makes the game run in a borderless window for easy alt-tabbing during loading screens or enemy turns.

Ohhh, I should've been clearer; I meant making what's effectively abandonware on TWC etc. available on Steam workshop for the remastered version. I'm just really looking forward to RTW having 21:9 support, and presumably multithreading and the benefits of being a 64-bit app. And given the instability a lot of mods would have on the original RTW client, I'm really looking forward to sharing those benefits with it.

It won't be as simple as simply copying over files because of the nature of Feral's remaster, which changes the UI elements quite considerably. But I think it would be possible, without too much work, even if any UI reskins as seen extensively in e.g. EB might need to be dropped or completely redone.

Thank you for that explanation though, it's useful to know. ^^

Thorakitai

Learned
Remaster looks a bit cheap but it least they made some actual effort to it. I love how they applied the Medieval 2 graphics style where every unit has different pieces of armor.

I'm surprised some people here are complaining about Rome 1's battle system.

Compared to how wonky Medieval 2 and especially the Warscape-era Total War Games are regarding their battle system is, it's great since units actually feel like they have mass and proper unit collision and not blobbing all the time.

Last edited:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Compared to how wonky Medieval 2 and especially the Warscape-era Total War Games are regarding their battle system is, it's great since units actually feel like they mass and proper unit collision and not blobbing all the time.

As long as we don't have that bullshit from Medieval 2 where dead horsemen are glued to their horses.

Edit: Kinda loving what I'm seeing of the new textures/models. They've really done a lot to make them look fairly modern and relatively realistic, while retaining the strong colour profile of the original.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I suppose I'll wait and see for now.

Who the fuck says anything about buying this?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

Compared to how wonky Medieval 2 and especially the Warscape-era Total War Games are regarding their battle system is, it's great since units actually feel like they mass and proper unit collision and not blobbing all the time.

As long as we don't have that bullshit from Medieval 2 where dead horsemen are glued to their horses.
It's called Stirrups.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Kinda loving what I'm seeing of the new textures/models. They've really done a lot to make them look fairly modern and relatively realistic
I don't know if you've played Roma Surrectum II before? the texture work on that mod was fantastic puts this remaster to shame tbh especially on the vegetation and buildings front. I think RS2 is the best looking RTW mod but its not the best in terms of gameplay though it does do a good job at keeping you on your toes and the AI is very challenging I'm just not a big fan of it on a mechanic level though because when playing as Rome it can feel like the games ganging up on you. That mods gonna be a nightmare to port over to the new engine tbh.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I don't know if you've played Roma Surrectum II before? the texture work on that mod was fantastic puts this remaster to shame tbh especially on the vegetation and buildings front. I think RS2 is the best looking RTW mod but its not the best in terms of gameplay though it does do a good job at keeping you on your toes and the AI is very challenging I'm just not a big fan of it on a mechanic level though because when playing as Rome it can feel like the games ganging up on you. That mods gonna be a nightmare to port over to the new engine tbh.

I remember some guy on YouTube loving it, but I've not tried it. Why would it be so bad to port over? Is the engine itself that different? I thought they'd just carried over the tidied up codebase from Feral's mobile/tablet ports for the most part, and added a bunch of QoL stuff.

I understand that it'd be difficult to port over anything that affected the original game files, but assumed that anything that relied on having its own mod folder wouldn't be too much trouble, any UI stuff aside. Is that not the case with RS2?

Luka-boy

Arcane
So I've done a bit of research on Youtube and Total War Center for whatever information is around regarding modding. Sadly CA mostly sent preview codes to the usual suspects who don't know that much about modding, but a couple of them seemed somewhat knowledgeable about how modding works. This is what I found, though take it with a grain of salt because I haven't seen any actual proof:

- The file system is different, but the actual coding works the same way so in that aspect it shouldn't be that difficult to adapt old mods to the new system, and once modders get used to it they should be able to work on them just fine.
- Campaign map is moddable, but it now uses pre-rendered textures, so it will take a bit more effort to modify it but it has more potential to make it look different/better.
- Same for the unit models, which have more polygons and meshes and thus will require more effort to work on.
- I haven't found any info regarding any old hardcoded limits being removed or not, but apparently there should be more info about that released next week.
- Some modders/teams (like the Roman Total Realism one for example) are already revving up their engines to start working on porting their mods from Day 1.

In short, IF all that information is true the game should be at least as moddable as the original even if some graphical aspects might require extra work but have more potential. We'll see.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!

Men, quick update: so according to some, the culprit for almost all problems on modern machines with RTW is the shitty 1.51 patch that was added to the Steam version of the game.
At least according to this guy. Check the video description for a google drive link with the original 1.5. exe that you can just use to replace the 1.51 exe in your steam folder.

It sounds a bit too good to be true, but I just tested it and I could play the battle of Teutoburg forest in solid 30 FPS in high resolution and huge unit scale, when before, it would barely run even with all graphical details lowered and low-res.
Mind you, I am playing on a shitty office laptop, so I guess you can get more FPS if you have a decent machine.

If anyone tries this out, it would be great if you could report your experience.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I understand that it'd be difficult to port over anything that affected the original game files, but assumed that anything that relied on having its own mod folder wouldn't be too much trouble, any UI stuff aside. Is that not the case with RS2?
That's not the case. RS2 uses a lot of external hookins to make it work its pretty shoddily kept together but it works. When ever you're using external means to inject your mod into the game that's normally when things go wrong in the porting process because you're poking around at something you don't know is still the same or not. It'll come down to how its documented. A lot of older modders in that community, darth particularly used these methods and got into a lot of trouble from CA because of it. It was the main reason Darth left and started the Ultimate General games and I think you'd agree we're better for him having done that screw CA. But it was very common that the mod teams that were really pushing the engine to breaking point were using third party means to do it. That's why RS2 was able to push the texture resolution so high.

Men, quick update: so according to some, the culprit for almost all problems on modern machines with RTW is the shitty 1.51 patch that was added to the Steam version of the game.
Sell you a solution to a problem they created. Why am I not surprised.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom