Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Lets play the best Storyfag RPG of all time: Betrayal at Krondor!

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
With the evil vanquished the road to Sethanon is open!

But as soon as we take another step:

i-zmg4Q7s-M.png

Hmmm, seems there's more evil?

i-LVkrpH9-M.png

Well on the plus side this double ambush is training some Scouting.

i-sKr8tpW-M.png

I decide to buff up - seems like there's a lot of evil up here.

i-GHK6wnv-M.png

Looks like Fadamor's formula raises Strength by 10.

i-SkrNSHf-M.png

Which makes Gorath scary strong.

i-N7fdpJc-M.png

We also get some of that Melee increasing potion.

i-PFHJTNr-M.png

And buff our swords with frost.

i-rgffVVr-M.png

Frosted - what a pretty icon.

i-qr4sxdH-M.png

Another step and we're in that fight. Seems like there are 2 shades now.
Shade charges Gorath and misses him.

i-ZKhCMTK-M.png

James hits the Shade for 17.

i-HSpLpJ6-M.png

Owyn blinds the farther shade.

i-VSh664X-M.png

Gorath lands a swing. 38 damage. Looks like even shades get hit hard when we go for it this hard with buffs.

i-fFVBZHW-M.png

James misses.

i-hQHhk7D-M.png

Gorath gets parried somehow.

i-Vmh79qJ-M.png

And so does James.

i-hbtm6rJ-M.png

Owyn re-blinds the father shade and the closer one misses Gorath.

i-2GqckrB-M.png

Gorath lands a thrust - 32 damage and the shade sinks into the ground.

i-bvVsPTp-M.png

When James finally reaches the second shade - he misses.

i-8TM7pwZ-M.png

Fortunately the shade misses him back.
Gorath lands a hit though - think its 32 again.

i-xTzdwp6-M.png

James lands a hit as well - 18 or 19.

i-WzHZmwJ-M.png

Gorath finishes the fight with a swing for 44.

i-r9KgQNX-M.png

Ok, that was easy - maybe it was a waste of buffs. But its nice to use them somewhere. We proceed another few steps and suddenly find ourselves in another fight. The hairs on the back of Gorath's neck have failed us. And this fight is against 4! This is some worrisome exponential growth.
Shade shoots James with some sort of a bolt and hits for 20 damage.

i-pHfpg7r-M.png

James charges and hits it right back for 15 damage.

i-78WdS7d-M.png

Another shade shoots James and hits. This time for 22.
Owyn casts Skin of the Dragon on James for full cost of 20.

i-5gzGKnp-M.png

Gorath hits an approaching Shade with a thrust for 27.

i-4LXpDsf-M.png

James gets hit with another bolt - but he goes lol because Skin of the Dragon makes him immortal.
He hits a shade again - this time for 14. He's below full health.

i-tGvzCBV-M.png

Shades continue to pelt him with bolts for no effect.
Owyn rests. But then a shade hits Gorath with a bolt as well. 24 damage - Gorath is not immortal.

i-8tjTJRW-M.png

Gorath retaliates with a swing that hits. 33 damage and the shade becomes one with the earth.

i-RngJzFN-M.png

Another shade peels off James and hits Gorath in melee this time. 12 damage.
James can't land his thrust this time.

i-MjhqcLn-M.png

Owyn blinds Gorath's shade.

i-5QB2Srs-M.png

Gorath follows that up with a successful swing for 30. Shade is still up - that's a surprise. Think that was the one James hit previously.

i-LVvFMg2-M.png

James lands a thrust this time. 15 damage.

i-fZnqn69-M.png

A shade beelines for Owyn but does not get in range. Owyn blinds it.

i-Ct7mcQC-M.png

Gorath finishes his shade with a thrust for 28.

i-jJP5tnx-M.png

James lands another thrust for 15.

i-f7775sK-M.png

Owyn rests. I'm not reporting all the bolts immortal James is taking to the face.
Gorath gets in range but cannot strike. James hits with another thrust. 16 this time - that shade must be close to its final death.

i-VwwJgd2-M.png

Owyn blinds the closest shade again.

i-8T3sXLF-M.png

Gorath lands a swing on it. 29.

i-ZSWxDJ5-M.png

James misses this time.
The shade that Owyn just blinded somehow shakes off the spell and hits Owyn in melee for 15.

i-ngScsZ6-M.png

Not having much options - Owyn chooses to swing. He hits for 5 damage.

i-QkpcCBg-M.png

Gorath catches up and hits harder - 25.

i-DH9rd4t-M.png

James finally finishes his shade with another hit for 16.

i-Pm5jwwv-M.png

Owyn tries a swing again - misses.

i-NFtdGMJ-M.png

Shade shoots him with a bolt to the face. It's only 14 damage however - I'm not understanding how their damage is calculated. Seems like its a percentage of target's total health or something.
Gorath's swing lands for 31 and finishes the fight.

i-s2HrmfX-M.png

We patch ourselves up with restoratives. Spending about a third of our supply.

i-mMhQzb7-M.png

Seems like we got a bit better at hitting things.

i-ZgFKDQV-M.png

The game doesn't really show that our skills are temporarily boosted. We kinda just have to remember our Accy: Melee values are not really this good.

i-9RCp4S6-M.png

Not sure why this skill went up for Owyn, he did not cast any bolts. Maybe Skin of the Dragon gives exp for this skill despite not being a bolt?

i-d7PWs4t-M.png

Speaking of bolts - I decide to take the blue potion for Owyn - with the numbers of Shades increasing exponentially - a Firebolt in the middle of them might actually be a legitimate option.

i-vHgV4Gk-M.png

Wow. Its nice to know skills can go above the cap due to temporary effects.

i-5wSNwF8-M.png

After we take another step - Gorath's neck hairs do their job and give some more training to James and Owyn. We also re-frost our swords.

i-bkdw37W-M.png

Owyn is going to need a lot of neck hair training to become a decent scout.

i-X6GLH7X-M.png

Shades swarm and get into melee range with Owyn. This is bad news - I can't make anyone immortal when I can't cast. At least there's 5 of them instead of 8.

i-QWKFHdq-M.png

James lands a hit on one for 18.

i-wxbsnNs-M.png

Gorath lands a swing on one too - 41 damage.

i-kJBMrkx-M.png

Shades retaliate hard - Gorath gets bolted for 24, then hit for 13. James gets bolted for 25.
James gets another thrust for 18 in on the Shade that chased Owyn.

i-KT7nk5k-M.png

Unable to get range - Owyn tries a swing but misses.

i-Q4qvQzt-M.png

Gorath lands a thrust for 33 and a shade dies.

i-3rHV277-M.png

Shades retaliate hard again. Gorath takes a bolt for 28. James gets hit for 14 and bolted for 20.
James lands another thrust this time for 16 - shade is still up.
Gorath finishes that one with a thrust for 34.

i-LXNbK7c-M.png

Owyn gets bolted - 14.
James gets hit for 13 and bolted for 29. He's almost down.
Fortunately no one caught up to Owyn this time so Owyn gives James Skin of the Dragon.

i-jcR6Tvn-M.png

Gorath switches targets to the one that bolted Owyn. Hits for 32.

i-j3q67wz-M.png

James was down to... 1 hp! He rests.

i-KCVgbF5-M.png

Owyn rests too. Gorath finishes a shade with a swing for 41.

i-qQvtWJx-M.png

Shades continue to pelt immortal James - so James and Owyn rest and Gorath comes over and smacks another shade for 32.

i-ZHkDhnP-M.png

Pattern continues and Gorath removes another shade from the equation with a swing for 41.

i-LJPDD2k-M.png

Same old - same old - Owyn is up to full rest hp. Gorath hits last shade for 33.

i-g6N8cWL-M.png

Owyn blinds the shade just to be sure.
Gorath brings it close to death with a thrust for 34.

i-LNxCMdq-M.png

I decide that I'm done fing around with these and just keep blinding and resting for like 30 rounds before even James is up to full road health. Gorath finishes the fight with a thrust for 34.

We take another step forwards and more shades attack. Fortunately the initiative and formation is a lot better this time. Unfortunately there are 6 of them.

i-V958QXh-M.png

James hits a shade for 15.
He and Gorath both get bolted for 26.
Owyn casts Skin of the Dragon on James.
Gorath hits one for 20 something. Think its 26.

i-Npsgn5m-M.png

James hits another shade for 15.
Owyn makes Gorath immortal too. Shades seem to be concentrating on the forward fighters so this fight will go much easier.

i-Xr2qw9m-M.png

Gorath swings and hits for 35. Shade is still up.

i-B3kqwqr-M.png

Another hit for 15 from James.
Owyn starts resting.
Gorath hits with a thrust for 30 and a shade goes down.

i-tNbsRrQ-M.png

James hits for 15 again.
Gorath comes over and start working on another shade. First hit is for 31.

i-n23x2Gn-M.png

James hits again - this time for 16. How is that shade still up?

i-37tMXtg-M.png

Gorath finishes a shade with a swing for 41.

i-tvLVr4g-M.png

The shade James has been attacking seems to be fleeing or heading for Gorath - James chases and hits it for 17 but its still up.
A shade seems to be coming closer to Owyn - Owyn blinds it.

i-BvWLHJk-M.png

Another shade actually parries Gorath's thrust!

i-S8b86ZZ-M.png

A thrust from James finally finishes the shade he was working on the entire fight - 18 damage.

i-8P3PwvT-M.png

Gorath hits with a swing for 39.

i-qnCxKQ6-M.png

James follows up with a hit for 17.
Owyn tries to keep the close shade stun-locked.

i-jF3KBJM-M.png

Gorath comes over and hits it for 30.
James's thrust is parried this time.
Gorath hits with a swing for 38.

i-Xq7QZnD-M.png

James finishes a shade with a thrust for 17.

i-9DFDg6K-M.png

I try to do the same resting trick - but since the last shade was coming for Owyn I finish the shade when the dragon skins wear off - with Owyn not at full health. Top him off with restoratives after the fight.
James got a bit better from that fight.

i-tWht5rV-M.png

Welll... this has been grueling and we've barely made it up the road. We're our of sword frosting and some of the restoratives.

i-gZqWbnm-M.png

So Codex - a choice is in front of us:

A. There's too much damned evil here and its boring to watch you fight it over and over.
B. All this evil must be guarding something awesome. Keep going!

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
A: Sethanon is a place where nobody should ever go. Until they are specifically directed to do so. There's nothing there but combat that you can't win.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You guys are incorrect about this being unwinnable as far as I remember. And there is something at the end of it all. But I don't know if I have to fight another 20 encounters or this was it. Now I'm tempted to do this despite the vote result :obviously:

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Its time to resolve Sethanon and proceed towards Silden.

I make a step expecting Gorath's neck hairs to warn him again. That does not happen. Perhaps he failed the scouting check. I take another step expecting the ambush. That does not happen either. I take another, then another - seems we're in the clear. A few steps later we get the dialog for proceeding to Sethanon.
So it seems the encounters go 1 shade - 2 shades - 4 shades - 5 shades - 6 shades and you're done. Bring Skin of the Dragon as the latter battles are impossible without it. And probably Lyton Concentrate as that apparently lets Owyn cast even when mobs are in his face. Other things - like Strength and Melee Accuracy boosters are just gravy.

i-Nj4xJC7-M.png

One is left wondering how we're able to tell that it's sheep's blood. Well - lets see what's hidden under that rubble.

i-f5JbffT-M.png

Seems like looking for something useful would be impossible. Battlefields are often looted immediately in the aftermath - not much would be left a decade later.

i-qBz8mGL-M.png

Never mind! The rations are spoiled of course - but the spell scrolls are not. Perhaps James dug his way into a remnants of a Magic's Shoppe.

i-Vn5fQxR-M.png

This gives us a temporary giant bonus to Stealth. Probably more useful in later chapters where we encounter more dangerous spell casters and getting a jump on them is crucial.

i-7rDmQvC-M.png

I think this summons an invincible body double that the enemies can choose to attack instead of your guys. I prefer more sure shot methods of controlling the battlefield.

i-3nhXNR6-M.png

This is like an upgrade to Despair Thy Eyes - stuns an enemy for a much greater number of rounds.

i-z9XpSkh-M.png

Seems like there's something we can enter here.

i-M24cTv2-M.png

Seems like this place just got left destroyed with everyone left unburied. Perhaps it was cursed with evil spirits from the get go.

i-svtgcVJ-M.png

Here's what the non-combat spell we just got looks like.

i-3QDVCbZ-M.png

We are now done with Sethanon so I make a run to Malak's Cross to bless our new sword. Its surprisingly affordable.

i-HJKKMR9-M.png

Next we head back up to Lyton and continue our way east. Soon there's a small forested area to the left of the path and... are those chests?

i-dXKGV2t-M.png

Evidently so - as we run into a trap on approach.

i-SK99q2n-M.png

Seems simple - but I can't see what's right in front of our party members.

i-rPSXbtQ-M.png

I move Gorath to the side - and sure enough - there was another Staff right in front of him.

i-c5HR9DH-M.png

Now that we know the layout - the escape is as easy as moving between the green and the red staves.

i-T3WcJRj-M.png

The only trouble is pathing - the ai sometimes chooses random ways to get to the destination - which could cost in this case.

i-DbwTDCC-M.png

Its good to get out unscathed.

i-TtHMBXZ-M.png

And here are the chests.

i-CvdQ3FK-M.png

Unfortunately Lord Lyton already spoiled these but I'll do the usual in case someone does not remember the spoiler.

Options:
MORIT
WHATS
AIVSR
RRIEE
i-s9MWP3f-M.png

Options:
SOOES
JHDRI
EUEST
MWNGD
i-ZHJncLQ-M.png

Options:
THR
SCO
IET
WSE
i-JDxnRZ4-M.png

Solutions and loot:
These are kinda easy actually.
i-CH28wxm-M.png

Even though we have a full stack of 36 lockpics - I pick these up as well. I think they sell decently.
i-7vQvjqX-M.png

Does a sword really have wit?
i-ZNdhZZC-M.png

Hah. A blessed basic armor.
i-g7nt8VQ-M.png

I'm glad I don't live in a place with a lot of ice in winter. Crushed roof sounds expensive.
i-Q7wz7rq-M.png

This looks very profitable.
i-9f92qTt-M.png

We proceed on our way some more and run into someone.

i-7hXDnQg-M.png

Hmmm, didn't Devon in Eggley mention someone named Abuk? Said the guy was an amazing lock picker.

i-gTrgSM9-M.png

Well, James knows a thing or two about locks himself. Was a thief for half his life after all.

i-F67wvD7-M.png

I bet it took a lot of patience to grow out all that facial hair.

i-vHd6PW2-M.png

Now I'm curious as to what's so special about a Webber lock. I think we've only found 1 unpickable lock so far - that's the lock to the Palace in the sewers.

i-KWqhv7n-M.png

Sounds like Abuk can acquire the wealth of the Palace at any time. Well... maybe not - picking locks is one thing. Avoiding the guards in the palace is another.

i-BnWrjGv-M.png

James finally recognizes an opportunity.

i-gsz97XN-M.png

Sounds like this guy has a doctorate in lockpicking.

i-PW24kh4-M.png

Would it still be robbery if it taught you to pick Webber locks?

i-NC2hXS9-M.png

Hahahaha. James just got us a higher price. Oh well - Abuk is right - we'll pay this price gladly.

i-MNcx6kG-M.png

James's skill is somewhere in the 80s, so - very good - but not maxed. Seems like Abuk would be able to teach him some things still.

i-GX3rwwM-M.png

Dude sounds like a Buddhist monk. Or one of those Indian Gurus.

i-dMNmcQV-M.png

But at last there is some practical study here as well - not just philosophical mumbo-jumbo.

i-bgmGShr-M.png

That's the trouble with teaching lockpicking isn't it? You can't really see what the picks are doing INSIDE the lock.

i-GrGCgZN-M.png

Heh, guess 80 gold only paid for one demonstration.

i-Rs58pHT-M.png

Maybe its about time the game stops pretending you can acquire difficult skills after a short practice sessions.

i-mMqjhpJ-M.png

Sounds like everything is locks to this guy.

i-ZJ3nhSF-M.png

Look at the bright side James - he was able to teach you something new after all.

i-bDH2Tpk-M.png

And indeed. James's skill is now over 90%.

i-ddWx39q-M.png

Owyn is still a novice.

i-9H92VQv-M.png

And Gorath isn't much better.

i-TPkzNLb-M.png

We continue and soon see a hut to the left. We can see the river behind it! Romney is on that river.

i-xd3K99H-M.png

Hmmm, no one here.

i-8PsTxFR-M.png

A few steps later we notice a small path to the left. Seems like its a shortcut that skips Silden.

i-N8PW2tx-M.png

So we have a choice once again:

Do we A.) Proceed south to Silden to see what's there.

i-6vnHgc2-M.png

Or B.) Take the shortcut and just go North towards Sloop. Romney is the next after that.

i-D9RZPcb-M.png

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
A: There's some important things to learn in Silden. And I think we need to get more answers out of Abuk.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
A it's close enough

well done with the "impossible" path to Sethanon! :salute:

both of your screenshot of "a new non-combat spell" are of Dragon's Breath instead?

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's the trouble with teaching lockpicking isn't it? You can't really see what the picks are doing INSIDE the lock.

well, those exist
1511318162702976870.jpg
. Though maybe the tech level of Krondor (even with access to magic) doesn't allow that kind of lock yet.

and I'll go with the others, take the scenic route

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
both of your screenshot of "a new non-combat spell" are of Dragon's Breath instead?

Dragon's Breath is a non-combat spell despite the name sounding like some kind of badass fire attack. It summons fog (I guess alluding to smoke that a dragon would be able to breathe out) and makes it easier to sneak past ambushes or sneak onto visible enemies.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Dragon's breath can be pretty good at times, you can skip a lot of overworld encounters with it, for example the aforementioned shades could have all been skipped with it pretty easily.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Lets see what awaits us in Silden.

We head south - an keep an eye out. Hmmm, what's that behind the hill?

i-DWCC3Gw-M.png

Not the best hiding spot in the world. Might be hard to notice when heading to Silden - but fairly visible when traveling away from it.

i-BZDRc7r-M.png

First chest's letters are:

AROOLET
TLIHHVS
BOCROOL
FAEETRE

i-SdspPqV-M.png

Second's:

BREETOEW
FLRUSNVN
DOLTRHPR
AEKOKDAM

i-47JhJmQ-M.png

And third's:

SHSTE
CLIRD
ARAUN
TEOGS

i-3LvxZD4-M.png

The answers and loot:

Ah, our favorite substance!

i-LR64zFV-M.png

Well, the blue thing sells for a little bit.

i-kcRSWfj-M.png

Hardest part about this puzzle was remembering the guy's name and how to spell it.

i-wsxqNLt-M.png

Now that's what I'm talking about!

i-qSFwXWk-M.png

It's bizarre - I haven't played this game in over a decade and I still somehow remembered the answer to this puzzle.

i-7C3Jv56-M.png

Virtue keys suddenly have become very common. Perhaps the south of the Kingdom had a problem with their ladies?

i-BCwkVk8-M.png

This sounds like a lot. Who's Isunatus? Maybe this is their purchase of Nighthawk services?

i-GrN9Pmj-M.png

A little further on the two main roads meet. I expected the sign to say Silden - but instead...

i-VdLLnw6-M.png

We take the South Trail instead and soon come up on some enemies guarding two chests.

i-4jCkKDV-M.png

Hmmm, guess stealth failed really badly?

i-3wWkCD4-M.png

Ohoh. Looks like James got hit too and the effect is quite dramatic!

i-DmsmWCd-M.png

James misses.

i-pbCWkvT-M.png

Let's see Owyn's new spells, first this one. Think the health you spend is how many rounds the enemy gets frozen for.

i-n5GxsnS-M.png

Probably similar deal with the number of rounds per health spent.

i-pBNqFDd-M.png

Owyn casts Grief of 1000 Nights for 5 hp. I like the graphical effect when compared to the blinding spell - it will be easier to tell when the effect breaks.

i-JbtDcmt-M.png

Gorath is out of range - shoots instead. It's a hit for 17!

i-NB26czN-M.png

James misses again.

i-QphSpMp-M.png

The enemy Gorath shot previously takes 1 damage, looks like poison landed. Gorath lands a simple thrust on the same enemy. It's... 44 damage and the enemy goes down.

i-Q6Wnnm4-M.png

James gets parried this time.

i-QRwL3cp-M.png

To add insult to the injury - that enemy lands a hit on him instead - 11 damage.
James continues to miss.
Gorath just got in range last turn - swings and one shots the enemy - 54 damage was enough.

i-7Znjr3t-M.png

James finally hits - the frozen enemy this time. 25 damage.

i-XDZJGzn-M.png

Gorath finishes the fight with a hit for 46.

i-BgJWRLD-M.png

The new sword made the fight a pushover - but that doesn't change the fact that we've got COVID.

i-8F3Z8Zn-M.png

Do these guys carry trash as well?

i-mwzdPSf-M.png

Well, that will cover a tiny portion of the Temple fees.

i-3rVkSTS-M.png

That helps as well.

i-4hPfZKT-M.png

They had a chest just for a single note?

i-sTPq7h7-M.png

Right - we already saw those seals. I wonder if the letter will change anything with Max Feeber conversations or this is just to help the player find some seals if they missed out on James' twin subquest.

i-XL9952P-M.png

The other chest could have been trapped but was not.

i-n3jDrnd-M.png

With James's extraordinary lockpicking skills...

i-78hrhqc-M.png

The lock fails to stop us.

i-W8vDz2b-M.png

Mmmmm, not much here.

i-qXt4Vbz-M.png

We head towards town - the game does not have 'infect others' functionality so its probably best to treat the plague at the inn.

i-vH7RLt3-M.png

Sounds like a lovely place.

i-VDvZXct-M.png

Hmmm, a wizard's store? I thought there was just two - that monastery at Sarth and some guy north of Romney?

i-4PzgjtV-M.png

Ah, an alchemist's store instead.

i-MqCmMjc-M.png

This works similar to that frosting wand.

i-dST7W2Q-M.png

Oh! There are spells here after all. We have all of these 3 though.

i-c39h6TJ-M.png

Hmmm, quite a few spells here!

i-3FzHfhc-M.png

I still have no idea what this spell is.

i-r5xGcb7-M.png

Or this.

i-nHSGM6c-M.png

Think this is an alternative to torches at night. But only if you're outside (i.e. not in a sewer, mine or a dungeon).

i-ZnXvDLC-M.png

What's here?

i-VJnqt64-M.png

Kinda sounds like this is a part of some side quest that we do not have yet.

i-ggCCsWq-M.png

Lets check the boat before going into the Tavern.

i-BHjJk9R-M.png

Hmmm, sounds like the boat is about to leave.

i-Rm5G8Lr-M.png

Ah - hell with it. Lets see what's there. We can still heal up outside given enough healing packs.

i-WBJWDzC-M.png

Isn't Eortis the god of the sea?

i-8jwCWQN-M.png

Oh, there's a temple of him. That will make healing easier!

i-2vGmL7v-M.png

No teleport location here.

i-rT5tQPT-M.png

We go to 'Cure' but apparently something is up with the service here :(

i-ffQLg8n-M.png

So time to talk to the head priestess.

i-53THQ7d-M.png

Oh my - this beats chainmail bikinis any day of the week.

i-zXtHXCc-M.png

Oh, I kinda missed the words she was saying. Something about NOT being able to heal us?

i-7BSGcb9-M.png

Seems like he had some designs for you as well.

i-gWFFcwC-M.png

James appears to be cleavage immune and gets into a theological debate.

i-Nn3nMCs-M.png

I still don't quite understand what all the clergy gets out of worshiping dead gods.

i-r6N9JMz-M.png

Especially if they can't communicate to him.

i-QqDNPkn-M.png

I'm not sure we have time to perform side quests - the plague hurts when you're walking around with it...

i-d3DH5X8-M.png

In short - they imagine they see things. Useless.

i-n9d56FR-M.png

I suppose it could be interpreted this way. But why such determination to get a side quest - even if we make dead Eortis happy - it doesn't sound like he has the power to heal us.

i-5tkNVxb-M.png

Sounds like she's gotten tired of James.

i-QW95G7T-M.png

Heh, she should give James some unachievable task.

i-SJwzbxt-M.png

Hmmm, that sounds like a reasonable side quest - but we'll keel over dead before we find these rusalki if we don't treat the plague. And if we do heal it, what's the point of helping Eortis?

i-mrvFLCC-M.png

Great - the task is tougher than it appears.

i-rt5d68s-M.png

Hmmmm, an act? But she seemed eager to get rid of us just a few moments ago.

i-DbJwVBp-M.png

Nothing else to do here but to head back.

i-v2M2drG-M.png

We check on the progress of the plague and... IT'S A MIRACLE. Eortis healed us! But now I feel indebted. We will hunt down these rusalki!

i-MQsCbC2-M.png

But first we must recover the heal lost due to the plauge.

i-24pXgDv-M.png

Let's recoup the cost of the ticket on Mist Devil.

i-rsZj4t4-M.png

We've seen bigger sums, but I suppose sailors are spending all their gold on whores - not on music.

i-zjrQ2XL-M.png

Ok, a few people to talk to here.

i-fkm7jbD-M.png

Hmmmm, I suppose the obvious effects of alchemy are a very tempting option at competitive sporting events.

i-JXgBHtk-M.png

Sounds like justice was swift in this case. But what about all the uncaught cases?

i-n9spj3g-M.png

Oh man... well the guys we use the formula for end up dead - so we'll definitely make better use of the portion.

i-VLRRLRt-M.png

What about this guy? Looks like he might be a dwarf.

i-R8jXS2n-M.png

He has nothing to say.

i-7jFXKnR-M.png

Ok, and this foreign looking guy? Keshan maybe?

i-n9fZCK8-M.png

Hmmm, the music for this guy seems to be very aggressive. It's almost like a fight is starting.

i-S7thqzx-M.png

Oh, maybe because he's yelling at us.

i-rCrX78Z-M.png

I too would like to know what's up. Perhaps its his twin's fault again.

i-Kr5t3zL-M.png

Crawler again... So far his underlings are the ones ending up dead.

i-4FcR9jx-M.png

Ah, I suppose the plague would kill most.

i-nQ4Kgvs-M.png

It does makes sense. We may come by and make waves, this guy has to live here with the consequences of our actions.

i-WssKjCV-M.png

Heh, James appears to be a lot more respectful of Joftaz's wishes than those of poor old Nivek back in Krondor.

i-svLhDQ9-M.png

We decide to get some drinks before bed.

i-wGT4JQ7-M.png

Apparently this Ale is very high quality.

i-jtjfJxC-M.png

We get 2 nights sleep and buy Nighfingers, Nacre Cicatrix and Stardusk before leaving town. Somehow Stardusk does not appear in out of combat spell book - maybe because its day. But this spell turns out to be an out of combat one. I struggle to think of how it could be more useful than Eyes of Ishap however.

i-2jRwtFw-M.png

Next time we'll go hunting for Rusalki.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Tfw no big tiddie priestess gf.

I still don't quite understand what all the clergy gets out of worshiping dead gods.

These are the hipsters of pagans.

The reason to explore a lot of the side content in this is that chapter 2 and 3 have extremely complicated plots that don't make any sense unless you run into a million characters.

Is the wiki for this down? That was one of the first websites ever probably. And you could tell because it had red letters on a black background like the AIM profile of a girl from the late 1990s.

Johannes

Arcane
You said the blessing you bought on the galon griefmaker was surprisingly cheap... Iirc there's 3 levels of blessing with the milder ones being cheaper. And it varying by temple which they offer. What level did you get?

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You said the blessing you bought on the galon griefmaker was surprisingly cheap... Iirc there's 3 levels of blessing with the milder ones being cheaper. And it varying by temple which they offer. What level did you get?

Lvl 3. The prices differ by temple and that particular temple happens to be the cheapest lvl 3 blessing place. But I was still super cheap. Griefmaker is so good that I expected it's base price to be crazy big. Which would affect the price of the blessing.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Time to hunt down these Rusalki!

We head out of town and take the North East path - and soon come up upon a freshly dug hidey hole next to the road.

i-4VNqFFf-M.png

Gems sell for a lot, but 7% quality is quite low.

i-zbPF47s-M.png

Very soon after we notice some blue figures on the road - must be these rusalki!

i-kvbzXb9-M.png

Good to know the undead can be surprised.

i-3C3qwv5-M.png

James hits the closest creature for 13. Seems like the rusalki are as tough as the shades!

i-gchCnZ3-M.png

One of the further ones shoots a bolt at him and hits him for 21.
Owyn freezes one for 5 rounds.

i-vMVW8F9-M.png

A rusalki hits Gorath with a bolt for 20.
Gorath rushes in and hits one for 25.

i-RKxzP4t-M.png

James gets hit by a bolt for 25.
He rushes in and misses.

i-j2Bs5pR-M.png

Another rusalki shoots him for 16.
The rusalki don't seem to shoot in melee - they run away like mages - Gorath can't catch up to the one that's running away from him.
Owyn freezes a 3rd one - this time for 10 rounds.

i-GhpNRfG-M.png

James hits one for 11.

i-HJkCNWw-M.png

Gorath can't catch up again - so smacks one of the frozen ones for 25.

i-gWDJsFz-M.png

Owyn freezes last free rusalka for 8 rounds.

i-8VBrvdd-M.png

James hits the one he just froze for 11.

i-Mrc34b2-M.png

Gorath tries a swing but misses.

i-nxFNstC-M.png

Owyn rests and James misses.

i-LcBpZST-M.png

Gorath switches back to thrusting - hits for 20 something. First rusalki kill.

i-Pp7mhRN-M.png

Owyn rests again and James misses again.

i-pj9Vcb5-M.png

Gorath moves on and hits another rusalki for 25.

i-SVbvb3q-M.png

James hits Gorath's target for 11.

i-2rtvfZW-M.png

Gorath finishes it with a thrust for 26.

i-tzWpdSD-M.png

James switches to resting. Gorath kills another rusalki with a thrust for 26.

i-MWxPmrg-M.png

Not being sure how many rounds the last rusalki has - Owyn switches to blinding.

i-RcPWg9T-M.png

While we take turns resting and disabling the last rusalki - Gorath has a chance to assess it. Seems fairly beefy - especially with the reduced damage they take.

i-QWjJhFv-M.png

Once James is to full combat health we resume the fight - Gorath hits it for 24.

i-BFvGF4V-M.png

And James misses.

i-nNpMknK-M.png

Gorath lands another thrust for 24.

i-mSfp97n-M.png

And James lands one for 14.

i-vJ8hx3Z-M.png

Gorath finishes it with a hit for 26.

i-DrP6dvZ-M.png

James got a little better at hitting.

i-sCKRpX7-M.png

Gorath did too - and his muscles got bigger as well.

i-xSQTStd-M.png

The rusalki were surrounding this house. Is anyone in there?

i-mpFQpTD-M.png

Yeah, this is not surprising.

i-JGQRpPH-M.png

Guess the owners didn't try to find every royal in the house on their way out.

i-SrS6SwP-M.png

We proceed further and see more rusalki on the road. I decide to buff up with Strength potion. James also drinks our last charge of Melee potion.

i-n7zPMT7-M.png

Hah, we're pretty decent sneaks now.

i-sJtPpPw-M.png

James hits a rusalki for 18.

i-wVvX85t-M.png

Another rusalki shoots him for 16.
Owyn freezes the rusalki closest to Gorath for 5 rounds.

i-GzCvddX-M.png

Gorath follows that up by hitting her for 29.

i-mnXncw9-M.png

Since rusalki can't shoot in melee - James switches targets to the one that's about to shoot. Hits it for 18.

i-rRcjtJg-M.png

Owyn freezes another rusalki for 5 rounds.

i-hr4qGTh-M.png

Gorath kills his target with a swing for 36.

i-mvPPm2H-M.png

James keeps chasing the unfrozen rusalki - hits for 18.

i-t9mWWVN-M.png

Owyn rests. Gorath can't catch up so shoots the fleeing rusalki - hits! For 10.

i-3t4VjvP-M.png

James fails to register a hit this time.

i-2rWFvb8-M.png

Rusalki flees into Gorath's range and takes 2 damage - I guess the undead can be poisoned too! Gorath finishes it with a thrust - damage was in the 30s.

i-WWj6KPH-M.png

After James and Owyn are to full combat health - Gorath starts his work on last rusalki - the length of the spell seems to be a lot longer than 5 rounds!
Gorath's first thrust is a hit, think it was 30 damage.

i-69kKC2h-M.png

James finishes the fight with a hit for 20.

i-dZpfCqk-M.png

The end of the fight dumped us right on top another hidey hole!

i-fJsJgqt-M.png

1 out of the 4 rations was spoiled.

i-8c8mXbN-M.png

A bit further on the road we see some human enemies.

i-cRV9vvj-M.png

But as we approach them we get a cut scene instead.

i-D4DQ7xp-M.png

Hmmmm, I guess we can try to go around them.

i-Nzrb8XZ-M.png

We go to hug the mountain and move forward.

i-9F67jFb-M.png

And see some buildings on a side road.

i-dQ9NHzV-M.png

Looks like an inn.

i-6SSZVgX-M.png

If chatting in taverns is so dangerous - then why are the women here in the first place? On looks like she could give that High Priestess of Eortis a run for her money.

i-z4nmDsZ-M.png

Our band tour continues.

i-jRfKxrB-M.png

Let's see what this guy has to say.

i-8JVwhBp-M.png

Looks like attentions of a soft spoken female can be fatal to one's gambling funds as well.

i-mTZXJNN-M.png

We go to top off our health but looks like there's something special about this innkeeper.

i-tftrD4p-M.png

72!!!! No way.

i-FMgbg3D-M.png

We go to the other building and it's also an inn...

i-JXpsgTZ-M.png

Well - more inns - more money for us.

i-f8BhbMB-M.png

I can't tell if these dudes have a mas over their face or their beards are so out of control that we can't see anything between a beard and the helmet.

i-CwQXP3G-M.png

Hmmm, so maybe that's what those guys on the road were doing!

i-hQbbkm8-M.png

Seems like a tricky thing - guarding the hideaway of some undead beasts.

i-Qm6H6Nr-M.png

We go to check on this inn's prices.

i-LxkJPFf-M.png

Yeah, that's still 3x+ of normal prices.

i-TcXnKVW-M.png

We exit the inn and try going around the hill to come back on this Crenard.

i-jwN6BbM-M.png

And see some chests in the woods!

i-7KjL2bb-M.png

But as we approach them we trigger the Crenard encounter.

i-MpC7FVP-M.png

James charges the caster. Misses.

i-Hxb9L9K-M.png

Owyn freezes the caster.
Gorath one shots a dude with a thrust. 47.

i-gJTVhxm-M.png

James hits an enemy for 23. Gets hit for 11 on a return swing.

i-Ld8SqdP-M.png

Gorath eviscerates the same dude with a thrust for 46.

i-wFdMtwm-M.png

Owyn and James rest to full combat hp.
I decide to let Owyn practice some melee. Hits for 6.

i-GW94zZZ-M.png

Then another 6.

i-tKcJCmt-M.png

There were several more before the grief spell wears off and I immediately finish the fight - Gorath hits for a fat 70.

i-cRjfDhW-M.png

Nothing to see here.

i-BxZ3FHx-M.png

Well, this armor will sell for a little more.

i-Bk3J2SJ-M.png

And so will this gem!

i-8wVvW2d-M.png

We go back to the chests. There are three of them.

i-4MjpcXR-M.png

Letters for the first one:

THIURS
CLETDT
ORSASE
BEAROH

It's correct - I'm unable to guess this.

i-T5fnSDg-M.png

Letters for the second one:

BSRO
AOTT
RASN
FRUD

i-3S8sNrW-M.png

I was able to get this one:

It helps when its only 4 letters.

i-cTTMMc5-M.png

That's the crossbow accuracy potion.

i-QZBjxLg-M.png

The third chest is NOT a puzzle lock. It is also apparently NOT trapped.

i-Z459WkK-M.png

That looks like a difficult lock - but James's lockpicking skill is over 90.

i-khqCPXG-M.png

And to such a high skill - most locks are simple.

i-VVMpbqd-M.png

That's a LOT of gold for one chest. The freezing wand will help even more with rusalki.

i-nXJw9BH-M.png

Hmmmm... Why would we need to poison food? Maybe there's some side quest that needs that later.

i-4sZbvJg-M.png

Next time we'll hunt for more rusalki!

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I found fighting the Rusalki a lot more difficult. My guess is that it's because you're using Owyn very differently than I did and probably a lot better. With him I would emphasize Evil Seek and Flamecast trying to hit multiple targets, but maybe incapacitating one guy at a time is a better tactic in a fight against tough opponents. IIRC the Rusalki do get nastier a little farther north, but with the Galon Griefmaker you've probably got a good chance of taking them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom