Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - coming to Kickstarter

ADL

Prophet
I've been saying this for a while now but Hello Games (No Man's Sky) will probably be the closest we get to a Daggerfall successor. Supposedly they're working on a procgen fantasy RPG which would be very interesting.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I've been saying this for a while now but Hello Games (No Man's Sky) will probably be the closest we get to a Daggerfall successor. Supposedly they're working on a procgen fantasy RPG which would be very interesting.

Link? Pics? Why do I get the feeling it's going to be some kiddie game like Minecraft or Hytale. That being said, Hytale does look very impressive.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

HOW DO I GOOGLE SOMETHIGN AHHH I CANT ENTER "HELLO GAMES FANTASY GAME" INTO A GOOGLE SEARCH PLEASE CAN SOMEONE CHANGE MY DIAPER FOR ME AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper:

Here you go!

Testownia

HOW DO I GOOGLE SOMETHIGN AHHH I CANT ENTER "HELLO GAMES FANTASY GAME" INTO A GOOGLE SEARCH PLEASE CAN SOMEONE CHANGE MY DIAPER FOR ME AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper:

Here you go!

So... how is this an RPG?

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

Here you go!

So... how is this an RPG?

It mostly looks like a very wet fart.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Music Composer, Eric Heberling, joins Creative Director, Ted Peterson, to answer some community questions regarding The Wayward Realms' musical soundtrack, as well as preview a few tracks that will be releasing later on.

0:00 Intro

0:10 Eric’s introduction and career summary

10:10 What are your musical influences?

10:54 What are some "guilty pleasure" bands or artists that you like?

11:57 What is your favorite instrument?

13:03 What is your favorite track that you have made?

14:52 What do you think of the soundtracks for the later games?

16:27 Outside of The Elder Scrolls, what is your favorite video game soundtrack?

17:47 Can you give us a rundown on your setup?

22:03 Could you describe what you have in mind for Wayward Realms from a composer's point of view?

27:15 Will the tracks be MIDI files?

29:04 What technological limitations did you face while composing for Daggerfall, and how did they affect your approach to composition?

32:40 "Oversnow'' is one of my favorite video game songs ever and I hear it in my head everytime it snows. Will we have some similar tracks for Wayward Realms?

33:40 Will there be any music composed that will sound familiar or even the same as Arena and Daggerfall, like how Morrowind and Skyrim have similar orchestral compositions?

35:10 What aspect of your music for Wayward Realms are you able to portray with a greater level of depth that you feel was missing from your composition in Daggerfall?

36:00 In your opinion, what is the biggest change in sound design and philosophy from Daggerfall to Wayward Realms?

39:04 Do you have a set workflow, and how has your process changed over time, from your work on Daggerfall to current projects?

44:26 How has your experience working on Wayward Realms been different from other projects?

47:00 What is your approach in deciding the music for in-game environments? Also, how do you keep those tracks from feeling repetitive to the player?

49:43 How is the process different from composing a piece for a much smaller, specific area?

51:30 What do you think of including environmental sounds in your tracks, for example a battle song containing the rattling of mail and clashing of weapons, or a cave dungeon soundtrack including the splashing of water drops, as if these were actual instruments?

53:24 Have you ever considered having instrument playing be a skill in game, implementing procedurally generated music as more than background music?

55:15 What are some of the finer details of composing music that composers do, minor things that aren't very noticeable in the track, but are important to you as a composer?

58:50 The instruments and how they're used can tell the listener a lot about the local culture. So, what instruments are you using the most and how are you using them to communicate information to the player?

1:00:06 Will there be any Dwarf inspired tracks?

1:00:45 What are the best things a game development team can give you to help with your inspiration? Would it be worldbuilding documents, art, themes, major plot points or something else?

1:02:03 What are your thoughts on reuniting with old colleagues and creating another epic fantasy game?

1:03:25 “Desert” track preview

1:04:08 Discussion on the music tracks for WR

1:10:04 “Fanfare of the Realms” discussion and preview

1:12:55 “Winter” discussion and preview

1:15:45 Outro

ironmask

Arbiter
Sad as it is to say, this is never gonna be a game. It's way too ambitious for such a small team. They could kickstart it but I don't think kickstarter money would be enough. I also can't see them pitching this to a big publisher without streamlining it either. Basically this game is rigged from the start.

Sykar

Arcane
Sad as it is to say, this is never gonna be a game. It's way too ambitious for such a small team. They could kickstart it but I don't think kickstarter money would be enough. I also can't see them pitching this to a big publisher without streamlining it either. Basically this game is rigged from the start.

tenor.gif

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Guys, in a world were Grimoire was released you shouldn't be so pessimistic.

But I am :negative:

Are there any announcements of crowdfunding (or some other funding for that matter) yet?

ADL

Prophet
Nothing yet but they posted their first in engine screenshot today (Unreal Engine 5 preview)
We are excited to share our first screenshot, taken in Unreal Engine 5, and showcase the graphical fidelity and art style that we plan for The Wayward Realms. Please keep in mind that it is still early and things are likely to change when we enter full production. We will be sharing a few more shots, as well as info about what exactly these creatures are, in the coming days, so stay tuned.
Caliban_Attack_Logo.png

agris

Arcane
Patron
Nothing yet but they posted their first in engine screenshot today (Unreal Engine 5 preview)
We are excited to share our first screenshot, taken in Unreal Engine 5, and showcase the graphical fidelity and art style that we plan for The Wayward Realms. Please keep in mind that it is still early and things are likely to change when we enter full production. We will be sharing a few more shots, as well as info about what exactly these creatures are, in the coming days, so stay tuned.
Caliban_Attack_Logo.png

That shot gives off early Everquest vibes. That’s not a bad thing.

Last edited:

Max Heap

Arcane
That shot gives off early Everquest vibes. That’s not a bad thing.

Funny you'd say that, cause I was legitimately thinking of "Shroud of the Avatar" when I saw the screenshot.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I wanna see a good Daggerfall sequel come to fruition. This one just smells like development hell.
Either way, I'm always happy to see this thread on the front page. For actual updates or the entertainment value :D

Molina

Savant
In two years, they have only made one frame of their game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom