Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Chaos Chronicles reborn and dead again

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Only fools sit around complaining all day about indie devs and how there are so many bad RPGs out there while thinking that games just grow on trees in backyards that don't require any effort or money to produce. Probably the same fools that think "if only I had that money" I could do it better, faster, and cheaper with my two friends. The reality is that just because you wrote a few pages of fan fiction in the 90's or even designed a game world in high school, that doesn't mean you have the experience, passion, and balls to make the sacrifices required by indie devs to bring their games to life. If it's about the money, then stop pissing on indie devs and go piss on the big corporate dev teams instead. They are not the same thing and if you think so, you're a limp fool.

It's really a miracle that any indie dev manages to finish their game these days in the face of all the fools. I'm still rooting for this game, mainly because I like the odds on games tagged vapourware and dislike just about any of the games that libtards and corporate shills praise because those games always try to educate me on how I'm supposed to think and what type of women I'm supposed to be attracted to. :roll::argh:
Now more than ever:

we should ban any mention of chaos chronicles and realms beyond on the codex, delete every thread about and ban hobgoblin. it's the only way for our hurt hearts to move on

bandersnatch

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Now more than ever:

we should ban any mention of chaos chronicles and realms beyond on the codex, delete every thread about and ban hobgoblin. it's the only way for our hurt hearts to move on

Spoken like true libtards..."Oh the devs don't die their public hair blue like me! The character creation doesn't have chicks with dicks in it! Ban this now or I will go after your family and children because I disagree with you."

Typical libtard whinning. Trust in the indies guys or go out and buy an extra large jar of Vaseline for what's coming from the corporate shills. :mixedemotions:

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Here on Brazil, a programmer costs more or less 3000 reais a month, an artist probably makes similar money, if you add 1000 reais because of work legislation, it is more or less 4000 reais per month, I wont count taxes because you only pay taxes over the income you produce, no income, no taxes, kickstarter money enters as injection of capital not income. So, a single programmer, lets say you pay him a full wage without any other agreement like part time work or whatever... a single programmer costs 48000 reais a year.

So, nowdays the exchange rate is something like 5,76 reais a dollar, meaning 100.000 dollars is 576.000 reais, for this amount of money, you can pay a team of 2 programmers and 2 artists for three years, lets assume here, you are doing remote work or using the house of one of the team as base to cut expenses... yes, you can produce a pretty big cRPG with that money but really depends of the country you are doing it. 100.000 dollars cant buy toilet paper on Europe. Maximum you can do is a two guys team for an year, living on very shitty conditions, also, voluntary unpaid/part time work is inconsistent and you need to find a crazy mad man to help and crazy mad men that arent lazy fucks dont grow out in trees.

Also, this RPG even on the ideal scenario of you doing it on a country with weaker currency like Ukraine, Russia, Turkey or Brazil, you would still need to have ALOT of cutting corners, no fancy VFX, no fancy animations, alot of text screens and minimalist dialog. Not wanting to minimize the work of steemed codexian poster JarlFrank, have no doubt he did great stuff on the project but if it was me behind this, I wouldnt spend a single cent hiring anyone that isnt a programmer or artist, not because worldbuilding work isnt good, I like it alot and I would pay for it if I could, but because with this budget, the first thing I would cut would be writing. They paying for someone to do worldbuilding for them when they have six months to one year tops of paid programmer and artist labour, shows they greatly underestimated the problem they had, especially when they are on fucking Germany.

So, yes, my friends, this project is dead unless they eat from their savings for unpaid work (what seems they wont do and I dont think it is a good idea as this game is very niche with zero marketing) or they get a publisher but with the guy going AWOL means it is very unlikely. No publisher will pay a single cent for them with nebulous copyright issues plaguing the project.

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
Realms beyond team is tiny. They never deserved 100k to begin as they can't do anything with that money. The project screamed failure from the get go.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Wasn’t Soyer playtesting this thing? They must just be waiting for the legal shot to work itself out.

Bara

Arcane
He backed it and got access to the combat beta like everyone else did if that's what you mean?

Desiderius

Patron
Yeah I mean he’d be saying something if he just thought it were disappearing.

Bara

Arcane
Well he hasn't said anything about the game since combat beta and it's not like he has a special in with the devs and knows whats going on behind the scenes as far as I'm aware of.

So that's not really an endorsement of "games totally still happening guys."

Desiderius

Patron
Well he hasn't said anything about the game since combat beta and it's not like he has a special in with the devs and knows whats going on behind the scenes as far as I'm aware of.

He has a better in than we do. If the game were dead he’d say something. Limbo is neither dead nor totally still happening.

Bara

Arcane
If the game were dead he’d say something.

Yeah but he could just be way to polite to ever do it and just write it off as lost money. Using him to decide if it is or is not alive or in limbo isn't all that useful.

Honestly the state of their communication and what little facts we got are damning enough. The devs saying they have to go find jobs elsewhere but will totally come back to work on Realms Beyond once they get word from their boss whose has also gone dark and started ghosting them does not inspire any confidence.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well he hasn't said anything about the game since combat beta and it's not like he has a special in with the devs and knows what's going on behind the scenes as far as I'm aware of.

He has a better in than we do. If the game were dead he’d say something. Limbo is neither dead nor totally still happening.
Right now Sawyer doesn't strike me as the type of guy who would ever speak negatively about an indie game or its development team. He is on a 100% nice guy crusade, that wouldn't go well with his character.

On an unrelated note: JarlFrank am I hallucinating, or did Sawyer post a picture of you on Twitter?

That's kinda hot.

Last edited:

bandersnatch

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Well he hasn't said anything about the game since combat beta and it's not like he has a special in with the devs and knows what's going on behind the scenes as far as I'm aware of.

Right now Sawyer doesn't strike me as the type of guy who would ever speak negatively about an indie game or its development team. He is on a 100% nice guy crusade, that wouldn't go well with its character.

On an unrelated note: JarlFrank am I hallucinating, or did Sawyer post a picture of you on Twitter?

That's kinda hot.

The corporate shills and studios are only nice to the indies when they have new games coming out themselves and want to make sure they get all the market they can, including dipping into the smaller indie communities. They don't care about the indies unless they think they can use them. I'm pretty sure Sawyer had a game coming out right about then (Outer Worlds?). It has nothing to do with being a nice guy.

It's a money play and it works great on gullible people that fall for the "oh he is such a nice guy crap." They call it nice-guy marketing. First you convince others that you are a nice guy. Then you can sell them shit in a sack and they will thank you for it. The reality is, you have to be a very very shady person to be able to convince people that you are nice on the internet. I'm talking expert level narcissist's here. The real nice people in this world can't do it. Most people are instantly skeptical of everyone online these days, so only narcissists know how to manipulate people and get past their defenses to convince them they are really the nice ones. It amazes me how many people have willingly drank poison from the hands of "nice guys" in history. Remember, Koolaid will always be good for you if it comes from a nice guy. Don't fall for the nice guy marketing crap these days, you don't know jack about someone from the internet.

Sawyer could very well be a nice guy in real life, but I wouldn't bank on anything from an internet persona. Especially when there are conflicting interests. The same thing goes for devs or wanna-be devs that think they should be in the business of criticizing or reviewing other devs. Yeah there's no agenda there. I'm sure those guys are totally non-bias and just doing it to "help" out. Here, have some more of this delicious Codex Koolaid while you're at it. :shittydog:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sawyer wasn't involved in TOW. He also actually likes TB games. I doubt that he would stream the game and stay in character creation for an hour just to be a nice guy. It's pretty clear what he likes.

He's making his own TT RPG, and wants to do a TB historical RPG.

I do agree with your point in general, though. Developers trying to get goodwill is nothing new.

bandersnatch

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Sawyer wasn't involved in TOW. He also actually likes TB games. I doubt that he would stream the game and stay in character creation for an hour just to be a nice guy. It's pretty clear what he likes.

He's making his own TT RPG, and wants to do a TB historical RPG.

I do agree with your point in general, though. Developers trying to get goodwill is nothing new.

TOW = Obsidian = Sawyer = Micro$oft = Corporate Wokeness.

Sawyer does what he thinks will make him and the company money, and these days, what will push the company agenda. If he liked TB games so much he would have made Deadfire TB, but in his infinite wisdom he did not. He decided to put out a TB patch for Deadfire only after he realized other indies were already doing TB, but he missed the boat. He is not an innovator, he goes where he thinks the money is. Spying on someones character creation screen for an hour is just smart business for him. Has nothing to do with being a nice guy. Corporations like to keep any competitors as close as they can. Sending someone to a convention to check out any possible future competition is really cheap for them in the long run. The fact that someone would assume that Sawyer was there on his own dime as some type of nice guy is just plain foolish.

I once watch a video where Sawyer whined about how he can't use the conversation system from Disco Elysium in his games because it's too unique and people would know. Is that really the mark of a designer that innovates, or just one that plays games to look for ideas he can use in his own? I know, I know ....Koolaid is cold and sweet, but seriously, it's going to give you teeth decay in the end my friend.

The nice guy marketing routine doesn't work on me anymore, if anything I'm attracted to the devs that are real and don't give a shit, which means they probably won't be liked on the internets, and people will try to cancel them because they don't want to play the woke game. Get woke, go broke. Which may be what really happened to this game behind the scenes.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I'm curious to see their GDD, could be: Team: 01 programmer, 01 artist, scope: bigger than Elder Scrolls? that sort of size of team vs scope mismatch sounds as workable as dating a borderline woman to indie publishers.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
bandersnatch Of course he looks at other games for inspiration/to steal ideas. Him, other budget devs, or even indies all have to appear as nice guys. They get on social media, a forum here or there, and get as much goodwill as possible. Just look at the codex. There are some devs that appear to promote their game, mingle for a bit, and then disappear. Rinse and repeat; nothing new.
The same goes for conventions. Devs go there to promote their stuff, and check out competition.

All this doesn't mean that some devs might like a game that the codex is looking forward to.

As to the development of Deadfire, its combat system, or Obsidian in general, I chalk that up to Obsidian becoming shitshow in later years.

Can't say I drink any Sawyer/Obsidian koolaid. I haven't touched TOW or their multiplayer game. Avowed is a game I have no faith in.

Sawyer's TT RPG will probably suck, but yet again, he can still have an interest in an indie game.

bandersnatch

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So i guess this is now dead.

Only the devs get to decide if it's dead or not, and they will tell us. Not people that think they have a crystal ball that see the future or some other BS. Hasn't Grimoire taught people anything? Maybe you are just a corporate shill or something? Or this game is not woke enough for your libtard friends out there in Sweden? Sweden is full of libtards from my travels!

@Abu - I'd brofist to that if I could (too much a noob still). :salute:

Luzur

Good Sir
So i guess this is now dead.

Only the devs get to decide if it's dead or not, and they will tell us. Not people that think they have a crystal ball that see the future or some other BS. Hasn't Grimoire taught people anything? Maybe you are just a corporate shill or something? Or this game is not woke enough for your libtard friends out there in Sweden? Sweden is full of libtards from my travels!

@Abu - I'd brofist to that if I could (too much a noob still). :salute:

LOL jesus christ Drog time to calm down

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom