Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut

I'm pretty sure they said it was an RPG at one point. If someone has the patience to comb through early marketing to find that, I'm sure everything would be revealed.

Here's their introductory release conference from 2012........ Take a look at the screen at 4:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAATUe9uBI8

Soz it's a link.. haven't figured out how to embed a yt vid yet.

Here's a different quote just to emphasise things..

“How I would sort of summarise this is… I think people tend to forget that […] this game is an RPG first and foremost. - Miles Tost, Senior level Designer

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
A limited toolbox could work very well, look at Guild Wars 1.
Everquest spell gems did it better than any game in the 21 years since.
Worth noting that Dragonfall is one of the only RPGs in recent decades that has meaningful text parser interaction. Outside of Ultima clones built for computers from decades ago (Nox Archaist, Realms of Antiquity), are there any others?
Coincidentally, Everquest. Definitely one area where MMOs since completely dropped the ball.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Finished the game over the weekend, about roughly 35 hours.

Excellent game, even better than Shadowrun Returns.

Did encounter the dreaded Apex Rising bug and wasted a few hours trying to reload to get around it. Was able to finally get past it by simply minimizing saves as much as possible.

Shocking that it STILL has not fixed after all these years...:outrage:

pidstuff

Educated
I just finished the Bloodlines mission in this game. It's the mission where you have to blow up some building by overloading the building's generator. The escape door was locked and you needed a Decker to unlock it. This had me wondering, if you didn't bring a Decker with you, what happens then?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I just finished the Bloodlines mission in this game. It's the mission where you have to blow up some building by overloading the building's generator. The escape door was locked and you needed a Decker to unlock it. This had me wondering, if you didn't bring a Decker with you, what happens then?

You can't start the mission unless you bring one with you.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Esteemed Codexers, I played Dead Man's Switch like 7 years ago, am now going to play Dragonfall. Also, I'll most likely play this only once. What class should I go with? I have heard good things about the story and dialogue in this game and would prefer to maximize exposure to that kind of content, so some sort of Charisma build is likely, but I'd prefer not to be a total gimp in a turn-based combat game.

Delterius

Arcane
Esteemed Codexers, I played Dead Man's Switch like 7 years ago, am now going to play Dragonfall. Also, I'll most likely play this only once. What class should I go with? I have heard good things about the story and dialogue in this game and would prefer to maximize exposure to that kind of content, so some sort of Charisma build is likely, but I'd prefer not to be a total gimp in a turn-based combat game.
Shaman. Its the opposite of a gimp. Play as a dove shaman in Dragonfall and have eternal summons.

Infinitum

Scholar
Enough Charisma for a Totem and the create Medium Cover shaman spell, possibly like 2 spellcraft for the basic heal spell, then all points into Intelligence/Decking/Rigging. No weapon skills, just rely on drones and plunk down support magic and hack enemies with your lefotver ap. I seem to recall there being far more rigging/decking choces than dialogue ones, but could be wrong.

Also, being a decker/rigger yourself lets you tell Blitz to fuck right off when he attempts to join, which is quite possibly the most satisfying bit of c&c in the game.

orcinator

Liturgist
Game's easy as shit so builds don't really matter if you want to see all the content which only requires a limited amount of points into charisma as long as you can correctly guess which of the etiquettes the game will actually use.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath

Really enjoyed running through Dragonfall with a Decking+Rifle+Summoning combo. I played on Hard difficulty just in case I wanted to replay it on Very Hard later down the line.

Are there any good custom campaigns?

Vatnik Wumao
OK-alright-ish: Returns

Pretty bad: Hong Kong
:prosper:

I understand people's dislike for HK due to it being too wordy, but how can someone prefer Deadman's Switch over it is beyond me. The latter was just a test run for the mechanics which in themselves aren't that great even for a pure combatfag.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Both Dragonfall and HK are great. Still don't get how some people can like one and hate the other.

Vatnik Wumao
Both Dragonfall and HK are great. Still don't get how some people can like one and hate the other.
I can understand that, but anyone putting Dead Man's Switch above Hong Kong is just being butthurt for getting filtered by the wordiness of the latter. :M

Imagine not getting to experience Racter and Gaichu.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Only two things that are really bad on HK: that new Matrix mini game and that the encounters arent as well designed as Dragonfall(they are still fun). The wordiness is annoying more because it is alot of words about stuff that isnt relevant for what is actually happening on the game but it isnt that bad. In terms of storyfagness, Returns is the best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom