Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So how many millions of dollars did Valheim throw at marketing?

Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
but as a dev myself I just admire little tech workarounds like that which end up saving lots of resources
Terrible approximation hack that doesnt even make sense - such admiration much wow... No wonder Unity load times are killing laptops...
Taylor series approx is admirable, CORDIC is - this trash aint.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
TLDR: These games spend very little on marketing (in terms of money), it's about reaching the right audiance, streamers and youtubers.
If you are an indie and spend lots of money on marketing, you're doing it wrong anyway.
Games media doesn't give a fuck unless you either push some "brave and stunning"(tm) narrative or the other way around allow them to run their mouths with you as the target.

Everyone else is better off doing what they did and peddle your wares directly where your audience is.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It is interesting how nobody heard of this shitty little game one day and then the next day, every gaming website has it plastered all over their pages for 2 weeks straight and it makes the game go viral.

I don't think I've seen anyone build their own hype and success so well. And it isn't based on the merits of the game... It is based on how everyone likes to play what everyone else is playing and talking about. People are sheep. So you create some hype and it builds its own momentum. With CoD-MW they spent $50 million on the game, but $200 million on the marketing. I would love to know how Valheim worked.
If you are really interested in this topic, you can read up on this here:
https://howtomarketagame.com/2021/02/23/valheim-7-lessons-from-their-amazing-marketing/

TLDR: These games spend very little on marketing (in terms of money), it's about reaching the right audiance, streamers and youtubers.
I saw a few articles like that but I don't believe it, I think they spend mega bucks to manufacture the success and then pretend it was 'organic'. Pay the biggest gaming websites, pay the biggest streamers with a crate of mountain dew or whatever, and boom every gamer receives the hype.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The reason why they say
Lesson 1: This will not happen to you
is because they bullshitted you into thinking they did it organically. They didn't. You just pay to be top of reddit, IGN, RPS, etc. and then pay some streamers. Money buys whatever you want.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It is interesting how nobody heard of this shitty little game one day and then the next day, every gaming website has it plastered all over their pages for 2 weeks straight and it makes the game go viral.

I don't think I've seen anyone build their own hype and success so well. And it isn't based on the merits of the game... It is based on how everyone likes to play what everyone else is playing and talking about. People are sheep. So you create some hype and it builds its own momentum. With CoD-MW they spent $50 million on the game, but $200 million on the marketing. I would love to know how Valheim worked.
If you are really interested in this topic, you can read up on this here:
https://howtomarketagame.com/2021/02/23/valheim-7-lessons-from-their-amazing-marketing/

I saw a few articles like that but I don't believe it,
giphy.gif

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Yeah you have to chop down the tree three times. What meaningful difference is gained by re-chopping a log into two separate logs before you get the wood? You're also forgetting the need to repair your shitty stone axe every 3-4 trees, with these retardedly small stones you have to pick up one by one instead of just mining rock.

I was not able to build a house for less than 400-500 wood, as the need for structural trusses everywhere magnifies the building cost considerably. By itself this isn't a big deal, I like a detailed building system. But combined with the retarded resource system and the absolute need to build a house before you can build anything beyond the stone age makes it intolerable. I understand it's probably geared towards co-op but then it shouldn't have a single player mode.

Also the structural system is the same one used in 7 Days to Die, Valheim just visualizes it better.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I suppose we have to see some kind of expression of the zeitgeist in the popularity of these survival or busywork games. People having fantasies about surviving and crafting things must be that they don't know anything about survival or craft. Or the reverse : that's all they know and all they can care about ; they want to be "creative" and feel some kind of limits (only limits will make you creative ; insert some reactionary authoritarian shit here). Your fantasies are either what goes beyond your experience, or precisely what confirms that experience in some way. But the general orientation of capitalist production aims at creating fantasies ; it doesn't catter to fantasies, but creates them. It creates an atmosphere with desires and a kind of aesthetic. Not much of it needs to "make sense". The viking imagery for example is just something that is sticking around ; there is no great postmodern viking paganism, that wouldn't mean any fucking thing. This is how this post is ending. Nothing personnel kid

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I just know that they could be so much deeper and more interesting, but are cynically made cash grab projects and not someone's passion. But they can get away with it today, same lots of other areas of gaming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom