Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Disco Elysium - The Final Cut Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Disco Elysium; ZA/UM

Ah, Disco Elysium. For some, a new all-time classic on par with Planescape: Torment. For others, a game to be hated because so many people think that. When it became an unexpected breakout success back in 2019, it was obvious that a console release was inevitable. That's what today's Final Cut is really about, but for us master racers, it's just a larger than usual update adding new content, full voice acting and other stuff. Livestreamers have been playing the Final Cut since yesterday and the voice acting (particularly that of the narrator, who voices all of the game's skills with the same tone) has been controversial, but apparently that can be disabled. Anyway, here is the launch trailer and release announcement:

Disco Elysium - The Final Cut is now available! Buy it now to get the definitive edition of the groundbreaking roleplaying game. Get it with a 20% launch discount for a limited time.

Everyone who purchases gets access to all the new content, including:
  • Full voice acting (English)
  • New political vision quests
  • New characters
  • New clothes
  • New area
  • New cutscenes
  • New animations
  • New music
  • New achievements
  • Controller support
  • Improved playability
  • + much more!
If you already own Disco Elysium then you get The Final Cut at no additional cost. Your old saves should work with this free upgrade but we’d recommend starting a brand new game.

We'd like to add that the new political vision quests are designed to be asymmetric. This means that they're different lengths, with some being more visual, while others are packed with more words. But they all change the world in some way…

Other things to look out for are upgraded skill portraits, improved Tutorial Agent, rebalanced healing items, new outfit bonuses, a complete overhaul of the world map in your journal, fast travel, Twitch integration, and much more.

Thanks for all your support so far. We hope you absolutely love the improvements and what we've added to the game. This is the best version of Disco Elysium and everything it was always meant to be. You all shine bright in our eyes!​

The savegame compatibility is a neat trick, and it'll be interesting to see how the new content works when full voice acting is disabled. In case you don't own it already, Disco Elysium - The Final Cut is available on Steam and GOG for the usual $40, with a 20% launch discount until the end of next week.

Last edited by a moderator:

GloomFrost

Arcane
Yep its official, they completely ruined Cuno voice. What a let-down I cant even describe how whiny and boring new Cuno sounds compared to the Classic one. Also yeah 1 dull voice for all of the skills was a bad idea. It just doesnt work plain and simple. But also there is NO option to play with only classic voice overs. Only played for like 3 hours so haven't seen any new content yet. But first half of 2021 is a completely dry season so why not spend 40ish hours with my old buddy Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau??

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
You could just mute it and make up your own voices.

It's not the player's job to compensate for shitty design decisions. Especially when the original release had already made the correct choice of having partial voice acting, which understands that the interplay of voice and silence is better for the imagination than pure silence or full voice acting.

All the time and money spent on excessive VA could have been spent on more stories, characters, events. What a waste.

And they didn't even manage to get different voices for the different skills, nor retain the original voice actors for key characters like Klaasje. So it's not just ill-conceived, but also poorly executed.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
15 GB download which, if the internet is correct, is mostly voice over. Played it long enough to get dressed and talk to Klasje or whatever her name is. That voice over *is* annoying, and totally out of place. Probably for console players, who have suspiciously low reading skills. Turned off the voice-over the moment I heard it. The voice is obviously a black guy, so I suppose they did that for political reasons or some such. Whatever. Checked out some of the improvements, and it appears most of the improvements would be for folks who are not familiar with the game. Some of the graphics are sharpened and refined in the menus - which isn't so bad.

So far my five minute take is that I don't think this update is going to change any minds around here: for folks who like the game there is more of it, and those who don't like the game, well you can still sit back smug, proud of the fact that you are the last bastion holding back the decline. Good on you mate.

I actually like it, and I'll finish the game again, this time with a different build.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just can't seem to build any interest for No Truce With the Furies. Maybe without Age of Decadence and Underrail.
Still have to get into Underrails expansion still waiting in my backlog. Need some time to prepare another dive into
Deep Caverns. And there's still Grimoire waiting for me to played. And after is I'd wager Colony Ship will be released.

Last edited:

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Personally I enjoyed some aspects of DE such as the skills, music and some characters but let's be honest here, this is not an RPG. It's a story driven adventure and even calling it an adventure it's a stretch (or a disgrace) cause there is a total absence of puzzles. A detective "game" without even one fucking puzzle...
A good concept, a well written story but it's missing the game part. It's better for them to make a TV series or a comic book at this point.

Drowed

Arcane
It's a visual novel. Arguably the best one ever made, but it is still a visual novel. This is only somewhat disguised by the fact that you control the character in the game directly rather than deciding where he goes or who he talks to indirectly, using text choices. But the essence remains. I mean, it wouldn't even be the first visual novel with stats and skills that affect the course of the game and the routes you can take.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Where is the pic of the protagonist snorting a line of this final cut?
CraftyBogusHackee-max-1mb.gif

tdCm4WW.gif

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Haven't played yet. Maybe my Hades addiction can be quelled by Disco.
Just play it blindly as a game. Try not to reload missed saves or you'll spend all your time reloading. You will enjoy it. If you try to make it out to be the Codex RPG Game of the Year - something like Oblvion, well, you may find it lacking. As a game it's very good. As an RPG, eh, ymmv.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Guys can anyone confirm or deny this. Original VO is gone forever, for good is no more or is it just some glitch. Using the "classic" mode doesn't change anything except for removing that horrendous narrator voice. Apparently PS5 version is really glitchy as well. Come on ZaUm one job you had and over a year to do it. Or are you trying to copy another eastern European developer?? Sad times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom