Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Archwizard Hank

Learned
Having voice acting in the original was indeed bad but now its even worse with the re-dubbing of old lines being of lower quality than the original. Compare the two iterations of ''fuck does cuno care'' for instance.

Do the redubbed lines carry over to classic mode? That would be truly horrible. EDIT: Reading the thread, it seems like they do. That sucks.

The game was made in Unity, right? I'm not exactly an expert, but I know it's a piss easy engine to work with. Decoding the compiled files, less so. I dunno, the gears in my head are spinning on this because I feel like this is going to be one of those "mods will fix it" things (along with some of the portraits, maybe) and I don't really want to wait for someone else's mod

prengle

Savant
With Silent Hill HD Collection Disco Elysium: The Final Cut, you may finally get your Halo-chugging buddies to enjoy fine digital storytelling

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Having voice acting in the original was indeed bad but now its even worse with the re-dubbing of old lines being of lower quality than the original. Compare the two iterations of ''fuck does cuno care'' for instance.
It's less about being whatever passes for bad and more that alot of the characters have lost little bits of their original VO that made their sparse voiced lines memorable and unique. Garte's lost his nasally tinge, Klaasje doesn't sound nearly as anhedonic as she used to and Lena's traded her grandmotherly cadence for a slight southern drawl.

Played a few hours of Final Cut so far. Made Harry HARDCORE TO THE MAX, HARDCORE TO THE ULTRA just for the hell of it which might've been a poor decision since it's been about a year since I played so I'm not really min-maxing, but it's worth a shot. Previous Harry was all physical and this Harry is all feels and thinks, and even in this short span of time I've seen a few fairly large things I didn't even know about the first time. Didn't know you could figure the gardener out in day 1, for example.

Voice acting's been largely good, but like Hong said there are a few oddities. I think I've seen maybe one or two un-voiced lines and then there have been a couple instances where the voice actor says something different than what's written. Not the end of the world since it's still worth reading the dialog, but still. The actors have been good, I especially like Garte's nasal and kinda whiny voice, but HOLY GODDAMN FUCK, WHO DIDDLED THE CUNO? He went from harsh obnoxious iconic posterchild of Disco to just kind of a kid. I'm not even sure if it's the same actor any more and they just had him redo all his old lines, or if it's someone new and they redid all of his voicework. Disappointing since Cuno being a horrible little shit was the most memorable bit of the voice acting in the base game. Cunoesse sounds the same but Cuno threw me for a fucking loop. Speaking of fucking, still disappointed that faggot's censored. Bitched about it before and I'm bitching about it a little again!

As far as I know I haven't bumped into any new gameplay content yet but enjoying playing the game again. Even with the little oddities here and there the voice work seems like a net positive to the experience.

Archwizard Hank

Learned
I'm heading in to assess the extent of the damage. Wish me luck. Mixed reception is always promising, though the reports of broken classic VO are troubling. Hoping that'll get swiftly patched, and hoping I won't have to give myself a crash course in unity modding just for this, but in case you feel insane enough to play along at home, here's some of my reading material

https://www.vg-resource.com/thread-31141.html
https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/How_to_create_mod_for_unity_game
https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/7rqokb/able_to_decompile_a_unity_game/

ferratilis

Magister
Finally playing this after waiting for so long for this update to come out. Didn't take long to fuck up
nzT4Twr.png

But the game is really well written. I was skeptical about playing a game (still finding it hard to call this a game) that is all about conversations, but the writing completely makes up for everything else that is missing. Looking forward to continuing.

Salvo

Arcane
Finally playing this after waiting for so long for this update to come out. Didn't take long to fuck up
nzT4Twr.png

But the game is really well written. I was skeptical about playing a game (still finding it hard to call this a game) that is all about conversations, but the writing completely makes up for everything else that is missing. Looking forward to continuing.

I liked DE, mind you, but I would also struggle to call it a game. It has extremely light RPG elements, but plays more like a VN / CYOA book than anything. Although those are games too, I guess.

Larianshill

Arbiter
The loading times are absolutely insane now, they should not have released the patch in this state.
On the lighter note, I'm now wondering if you can beat the whole game without realizing you're missing a gun. This means you can't talk to Evrart, can't talk to precint 41, and can't try shooting down the body. At the very least.

jackofshadows

Magister
Finally sat down and played some. What the fuck, ZA/UM? I repeat: WHAT THE FUCK?! When someone gets 'definitive edition', 'final cut edition', 'enchanced edition', whatever huge auto-update it's only natural that there might be the chance he would prefer to play as it was before, to have an option to do so.

Your 'classic mode' in current state is a fucking joke, useless because it plays nothing like OG, not even close because of narrator voice. I don't want to volume down VO completely, I want an option for the original bits of VO, what were you thinking? If you have to release a separate build in steam to do it then fucking do it. Thanks.

Last edited:
It's been over a year, and codex is still screeching about this game not being an RPG.

Anyway, watched a bit of a stream earlier. They fucked up with the narration. The character voice used in the text isn't always consistent, and can be quite emotive, but they just directed the narrator to read them like it's a neutral, omniscient narrative. It gets even worse when he's reading out the skills' dialogue.

Currently mulling it over on if it's worth it to reinstall to see the new quests. It's like, 4 mutually exclusive ones, right? My autism would compel me to pursue the first one as my "ideal" playthrough, which means doing a bunch of shit in the exact same way as I have before.

Well, if you insist.

The returning actors, especially Kim, definitely aren't missing a single beat. the old and new lines blend seamlessly.

PEACH

Arbiter
Is there any new content or did they just add new voice acting and break things?

Harthwain

Magister
Is there any new content or did they just add new voice acting and break things?
Yes, here is the official list:

Everyone who purchases gets access to all the new content, including:
  • Full voice acting (English)
  • New political vision quests
  • New characters
  • New clothes
  • New area
  • New cutscenes
  • New animations
  • New music
  • New achievements
  • Controller support
  • Improved playability
  • + much more!

Larianshill

Arbiter
Yes, that one. Also, I just talked to Cindy the Skull. Of all new VAs, hers is by far the worst.

Last edited:

vota DC

Augur
The loading times are absolutely insane now, they should not have released the patch in this state.
On the lighter note, I'm now wondering if you can beat the whole game without realizing you're missing a gun. This means you can't talk to Evrart, can't talk to precint 41, and can't try shooting down the body. At the very least.
You need to take down the body so you shoot or you call Evrart, no idea if there Is a third way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom