Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good metroidvania recommendations?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Not by me, just nicely done

G5rHAKNZMnsrXmNP14_GktaHe3tCxucoLOrAMYuzl7M.jpg

also not by me

metroidvania_alignment_chart_-_final_maybe.png

Waking Mars really blew my mind. There is basically no combat, no enemies. You explore the caves of Mars, find traces of earlier life and try to reanimate the planet's underground eco-system. The main aspect is exploring, learning and trying to create functioning eco-systems. Different lifeforms have to be brought in harmonical co-existence to succeed. The deeper you climb into the caverns of the Red Planet, the more you learn about its fate and about its lifeforms. A unique game, mysterious and atmospheric.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Waking Mars really blew my mind. There is basically no combat, no enemies. You explore the caves of Mars, find traces of earlier life and try to reanimate the planet's underground eco-system. The main aspect is exploring, learning and trying to create functioning eco-systems. Different lifeforms have to be brought in harmonical co-existence to succeed. The deeper you climb into the caverns of the Red Planet, the more you learn about its fate and about its lifeforms. A unique game, mysterious and atmospheric.

That sounds suspiciously like a walking sim

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

A lot of shit I never heard about
Never thought there were so many metroidvanias

But Demon's Crest is one?
Always thought is was more of a simple level based plaformer like the Classicvanias
Then again that is one of the few games I can remember that I was unable to get past even the first stage kek

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Always thought is was more of a simple level based plaformer like the Classicvanias
Then again that is one of the few games I can remember that I was unable to get past even the first stage kek

I wouldn't personally call it a metroidvania, but it's sort of in the grey zone, you have a worldmap where you can go into levels, a bit like Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia. The iceberg has lots of games where I would argue over whether they are actually metroidvania or not, but most of them that are not are sort of in the same ballpark, and often quite good games, so I don't mind it too much.

But overall, yeah, there are lots and lots of metroidvania, many of them quite obscure. And just in the last 4 years or so there has been a massive influx on Steam, and it's not stopping. This site https://metroidvaniareview.com/ tries to review them regularly, the guy plays a lot and his reviews are pretty solid. He also mentions how metroidvania each game is, which I find quite useful.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane

the list is probably inflated with unrelated stuff.

axx

Savant
Aquatic adventures of last human was good, atmospheric but with some annoying boss fights. Not your classical metroidvania platforming game, but has its elements.

lightbane

Arcane
Aquatic adventures of last human was good, atmospheric but with some annoying boss fights. Not your classical metroidvania platforming game, but has its elements.

It had horrid controls though, since for some reason you used a fukken torpedo launcher as if it was a bow, which made it very annoying to aim. There's also no final boss fight and a shit ending to boot.

axx

Savant
THB I had a fuckthat moment with one of the final bosses (one where you have to circle around with no space to maneuver) and ragequit. I still like the game though. Also I played an earlier version without the map. Would have been better if it had an actual story behind to back up the atmosphere of solitude the game creates, not just those nonsensical signposts.
I'm a sucker for these low pixel ones, later I tried Environmental station alpha but again got stuck with one of the bosses mid game.

Momock

Augur
It's kind of like Megaman X, separate linear levels where you can come back to with youy new powers (you get them from bosses) to pick up upgrades and find access to other parts of the level leading to entirely new levels. The 4th Shantae had that kind of design too minus the "new level inside the level" thing (and was hated for it).

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Start playing a fun little metroidvania that i got off the winter sale, Mindseize. In this, you play as a wheelchair-bound cripple that remotely pilots a humanoid drone body that pew pews and slashes it up with melee weapons.

Ash

Arcane
story premise is lame. Pixel art style is legitimately good and actually looks like something that would have been made in the 90s (i.e very high quality).
Gameplay it's harder to judge based on a short video, but I don't see anything I disagree with and I went ahead and added this to my .txt.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Almost finished Hollow Knight. It's indeed one of the best metroidvanias, if not the best. I mean I still consider Super Metroid and SOTN my favourites, but mainly due to their ambience which I prefer. As a game HK is probably better... Well, apart from the extra content after finishing the game that has some very frustrating platforming.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Wishlisted this game that looks like Shovel Knight turned metroidvania.

(It's on PC too)

Played this a bit, but didn't like the way levels were designed and how all of them were connected. Also, the controls just didn't work for me, they aren't bad, but a bit too loose for my taste

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Start playing a fun little metroidvania that i got off the winter sale, Mindseize. In this, you play as a wheelchair-bound cripple that remotely pilots a humanoid drone body that pew pews and slashes it up with melee weapons.

Premise reminds me of the classic Poul Anderson SF story Call Me Joe (1957), about the human cripple on the space station who remotely controls this hulking, massively powerful genetically engineered centaur-like creature he names Joe on the surface of Jupiter and feels everything Joe feels... every agony, every victory, every joy. Great concept.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Have you seen this? Looks very much like SoTN and it's also Record of Lodoss War universe, which is always cool:

Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth-

deama

Prophet
Have you seen this? Looks very much like SoTN and it's also Record of Lodoss War universe, which is always cool:

Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth-

I heard it's just 5 hours long and kinda easy, true?

spekkio

Arcane
Yup, played this one. It's more like a really short demo (just one location with a couple types of enemies) than a game. Great art, tho.

*Edit

FFS people, stop rating my post without reading my next one ITT.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom