Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
mystical archive rares/mythics are duplicate protected
you will not be finding historic banned cards until you get x4 of all others
no chance for wildcards in mystic archive slot
Not banned cards are part of historic ICR pool(no, nothing about ICR dup protection, stop dreaming)

So you have to open 63 packs to get all 63 mystical archive cards basically?

That doesn't seem too bad.

edit..

or are you saying you gotta get 4 of each of the non-banned mystical archive cards before you can get a banned one?

That'd make it significantly more difficult to acquire the best cards.
You can just wildcard them normally I think. Also you should be able to pull them in draft.

you can get them in drafts. Yes, you need 4x of allowed cards before banned ones appear in regular packs.

also let me quote this separately to laugh
So you have to open 63 packs to get all 63 mystical archive cards basically?
lxaMlx8.gif

and quote myself from few posts back
Someone did the math, assuming fabulously optimistic route of having dup protection, if you would need to buy x number of packs to be rare/mythic complete, you would need to double it in order to be mystic archive complete.
Its basically jumpstart issue all over again

Jason Liang

Arcane
Unimpressed so far with today's spoilers, except for the somewhat related Kozilek's looming shadow
Needlespine-Drake-STX-265.jpg

Strixhaven should have actual strixes:/

Eyetwitch-STX-265.jpg
Academic-Dispute-STX-265.jpg
Start-from-Scratch-STX-265.jpg

The Lessons are interesting, but in older formats I'd rather just make a wishboard with actual Wishes.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
in other news.
Lets say you are wealthy and will be buying pre bundle for 50usd to gain 50 packs.
Chance for mythic/rare is 33% in each. Expected value would be 16-17 cards.
Lets say you actually are interested in 1/3 of those precious ones. You will get about 5-6 of the stuff you want

John Keel

Savant
in other news.
Lets say you are wealthy and will be buying pre bundle for 50usd to gain 50 packs.
Lets say you actually are interested in 1/3 of those precious ones. You will get about 5-6 of the stuff you want
It rely heavily on how you're valuing standard format, I buy 60-70 packs of the latest set (in gold) each time one is released but most of the time I expect shit returns, either through value or playability

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
in other news.
It rely heavily on how you're valuing standard format, I buy 60-70 packs of the latest set (in gold) each time one is released but most of the time I expect shit returns, either through value or playability
depending on bots, drafts might be biggest begging we have seen up to date

Jason Liang

Arcane
I think the only staple new cards for Historic out of Mystic Archives are Brainstorm and Inquisition of Kozilek.

Lightning Helix and Putrefy are alright. I've always had a soft spot for Regrowth combos so I will probably wildcard a set of those for green.

Ephemerate - is niche, only if you enjoy that kind of deck
Faithless Looting - same
Time Warp - same
Stone Rain - same

Nothing else stands out at all.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Faithless Looting - same
this will be in most decks featuring red color. Just like you expect thoughtsize and soon inquisition whenever you see swamp

crux of fate might see play since its cheaper sweeper than blood on snow?
chaos warp sounds degenerate, I expect bad things being cheated into play
tainted pact will go into treasure hunt likes as long as you play singleton lands

Jason Liang

Arcane
Faithless Looting - same
this will be in most decks featuring red color. Just like you expect thoughtsize and soon inquisition whenever you see swamp

crux of fate might see play since its cheaper sweeper than blood on snow?
chaos warp sounds degenerate, I expect bad things being cheated into play
tainted pact will go into treasure hunt likes as long as you play singleton lands
Faithless Looting is only if you enjoy playing those sort of combo-value decks like Arclight Phoenix/ Underworld Breach. Personally, I stay away from those semi-degenerate decks, also I stay away from land destruction and Take Turns. Why play that cancer?

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Mmhmm just grinded out a BU Rogues deck with a white weenies brew. That felt good.
Overall I got my shit fixed a while ago, but I missed on a lot of experience. The first mastery pass I won't max out, and the last I will buy.

I thought Kaldheim was overall pretty fun! Red deck wins was the strongest deck throughout most of the expansion I think, but that is a lot less frustrating to face than rogues and yorion. My jank fended for itself fairly well on the ladder. I kinda wish the season was longer, and we wouldn't get Hogwards spoilers already.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This one seems like a nice board-wipe defense card, or just an easy way to bump all ur creatures with +1/1 counters.

semesters-end-72529-medium.jpg

I think I'll buy two of this when the set drops just to test it out.

mystical archive rares/mythics are duplicate protected
you will not be finding historic banned cards until you get x4 of all others
no chance for wildcards in mystic archive slot
Not banned cards are part of historic ICR pool(no, nothing about ICR dup protection, stop dreaming)
Well that's nice. So at least we'll be getting mystical archive in regular packs and not just in limited. That makes all that shit being upshifted to rare and mythic ever so slightly less obnoxious since they're all one-a-pack and presumably all the same ACTUAL rarity since they all take a slot of a common. Just sucks when it comes to crafting.

depending on bots, drafts might be biggest begging we have seen up to date
I do wonder how they are going to make the bot draft the mystic archive cards
Supposedly the bots are adjusted based on what players pick, so it'll be a weird set for raredrafting since there are two "Money" slots. Not to mention shit like gud gittin drafters taking shit like Lightning Bolt while raredrafters will likely skip it since it's unplayable in basically every other format in Arena. Will be a little strange for me since I went fairly heavy on the Kaldheim drafts because I like the set but this one seems like it'll be more worthwhile just in terms of returns. Presumably the archive cards will get ignored at least a little bit more, because I assume standard's still the most popular format on Arena so the historic cards will probably get a little less attention when it comes to pure raredrafting.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
So does the Arena design team have any authority over Magic Legends? Can they explain why it is so shit?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
that new historic is fun. Just faced someone with deck full of shadows and thoughtseizes

Gyor

Savant
I was playing my Purphoros Bronze Blooded Brawl deck vs a Heliod Brawl Deck when he cast Angel of Destiny. I then cast Akroan War on his Angel of Destiny and used it to win the game via its unique win condition. I have over 50 life by the time I won and he was I think 39 life. How often can you say you won with Angel of Destiny in a mono red deck?

Jason Liang

Arcane
Oriq-Mythmage-STX-265.jpg

Expensive (should probably be 3 cmc if pushed) but surely capable of degeneracy.

Journey-to-the-Oracle-extended-STX-265.jpg

... Summer Bloom is banned in Modern, yet *this* is printable?!?
Seems like this cc is actually 2gg

Harness-Infinity-extended-STX-265.jpg

I'd rather have Seasons Past, although this is less restrictive on deckbuilding.

Deadly-Brew-STX-265.jpg

Like Smallpox + Regrowth.

Containment-Breach-STX-265.jpg

Finally a great Lesson card.

Dina-Soul-Steeper-STX-265.jpg

Waifu.

Blood-Researcher-STX-265.jpg
188152.jpg

Waifu. Also reminds me of a classic VtES card.

Bayou-Snagger-STX-265.jpg

Doggy!

Daemogoth-Titan-STX-265.jpg

That's pretty big. But not being a Giant is flavor fail.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
... Summer Bloom is banned in Modern, yet *this* is printable?!?
front being blue screws my korvold commander shtick
I'd rather have Seasons Past, although this is less restrictive on deckbuilding.
this might be funny on black historic decks with some triggers on discard

this could be interesting for devotion decks

in general im quite into pests, but then I was playing insects and saprolings so clearly biased and overestimating how good they might be

John Keel

Savant
Oriq-Mythmage-STX-265.jpg

Expensive (should probably be 3 cmc if pushed) but surely capable of degeneracy.

Gravebreaker Lamia is wayyy beater and does not see play, summon sickness with shit stats makes it terrible

Harness-Infinity-extended-STX-265.jpg

Yeah season is probably better, though the instant speed is pretty big.
I'm very curious how the rules handles Exchanging cards from hand, I think it's the 1st card that does this.
Is it considered discard? How about leyline of the void ?

Deadly-Brew-STX-265.jpg

Like Smallpox + Regrowth.

Not hitting lands nullify the comparison to smallpox imo, still avery cool card though the "another permanent" clause kinda suck.
Dodge graveyard targeted removal, solid plus

Containment-Breach-STX-265.jpg

Finally a great Lesson card.

Yes

Daemogoth-Titan-STX-265.jpg

Cool Ghalta/The great henge enabler & other pwr reduced cost shenanigans.
Sac on block fucking sucks, no trample is a big problem :(
A somewhat playable demon for my Kaalia deck so yay I guess

John Keel

Savant
kqbh16cdvrq61.png

Lot of potential to be solid in std as a young pyro wannabe when stomp rotate.
3 mana is a lot, but the pest token is generaly much better than ypyro ones

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom