Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Noita - magical action roguelike where every pixel is physically simulated

Leechmonger

Arbiter
Gave it another shot. The moment to moment gameplay is still terribly tedious after a few hours. It challenges neither my reflexes nor my intellect, it's just a work-like grind. Oh well. Like I said before, if you're the type of person that loves Diablo/PoE/etc. and are looking for another unpaid job to spend time on in your spare hours, you could do worse that Noita.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
While I do like this game quite a bit I also find it pretty tedious at the same time. So often I spend a lot of time trying to scrape together a good run only to get instakilled my some sudden bullshit.
Sometimes depending on what wands I find I could be even more careful, but the game already drags a lot as it is. Considering how long crippling status effects like blind and no spell casting lasts maybe the game does expect you to just stand around a whole lot more than I do, but then getting instakilled by bullshit later on would be even more tiresome.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Rediscovered Noita since it has one magical quality - you can play it while mining. I kid you not, doesn't even make a dent. This kind of old-school coding brings a smile on my face.

Since I've long since done everything normal the game has to offer, I've been now dicking about in the 1.0, just looking for secrets and beating bosses.

I have to say, Noita is a game for a special kind of an autist. If we look beyond the secret messages "encoded" with a special language and the cryptic hints on tablets, there are no quest compasses. So if you play this one blind, I doubt you'll ever discover all the hidden things.

The game barely has any steam achievements, but there is an in-game "tracker" on the top of the world tree. The game never tells what you actually did to unlock them, but there are a ton of really really silly things it keeps track of.

Like the "New Sun" quest. If you don't have a walkthrough, you will never ever figure it out. Not only will it kill you several times, but the amount of... well tedium you have to go through to unlock all the possible 'cheevos on it...

The guy who did the 33 Orb "true ending" live on Twitch must be a special kind of a retard.

Spell wise they've been pretty conservative with the patches, it seems. The only thing that stands out are the plasma spells. I killed myself like ten times in a row trying to get them to work. I mean, should be pretty basic: don't walk into it once you fire, it will kill you...

- Add a "slow shot" -modifier - it kills you, as it shoots backwards?
- Add a "chain spell" -modifier - it kills you, as it starts shooting in random directions
- Add a "homing" -modifier - should be obvious, but you just couldn't help yourself, eh
- Add a "freeze" -modifier - combining hot plasma and subzero freeze is a great idea

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is the first rougelike i reallt like so far. Each run feels TRULY different and it's the only one game i really feel benefit from randomly generated layout and loot. The learning curve is great so far. Like rhe first half dozen runs i didn't know wtf i am doing and blowing shit up randomly and kept dying, after that i learned to approach things tactically and got more and more progress. Some fucks ups due to random factors are actually fun too. Like when i met the tnt throwing guys while standing on a pile of coal, while the previous platform got flooded by acid spitting orb thing that also bleed acids.

It's just incredible

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Made a wand combining magic missile with trigger and luminous drill, got OHKO armor piercing sniper rifle. Died in hiisi base. This is my first real block so far. The first 3 levels aren't that hard anymore as i learned better ways to wand craft and the overall mechanics. But yeah, the combination of what you can do is fucking bonkers.

In some previous run, i got those air blast thing which i combine a simple torch and made a flamethrower.

Atrachasis

Augur
In some previous run, i got those air blast thing which i combine a simple torch and made a flamethrower.

Yeah, it's fascinating how such a seemingly harmless spell can, in the right combination, turn into a machinery of doom. My first winning run was with a wand that had Gust of Wind as a permanent effect, and which I had loaded with chainsaw spells... it literally ate through rock (and Hiisi, and the end boss, and everything else...) faster than I could move. Only drawback was that any gold nuggets were usually gone with the wind.

But I've definitely found that a careful, planned approach works better than going in guns blazing. If you lose control of your positioning, you die, often in hilarious ways. My second winning wand, for example, had such insane recoil that I always had to position myself against a firm surface (or better, a corner) before using it.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
There are distinct milestones and goals to be reached until hisii base:
1. Dagame dealer wand - either fast firing with good regen or other delivering good punch, but generally fast firing less damage is better than big damage slower firing
2. Digging wand - anything to dig. Because you'll have to dig every corner of coal mines and mushroom caves for health boost
3. Good perks - if you are given shitty perks then better to restart than waste time.

Spukrian

Savant
I try make wands that both digs and damages. I love the Plasma Beam and Plasma Cutter spells despite me almost always accidentally killing myself with them.

Luminous Drill and Chainsaw work very well with the Bouncing Spells perk!

SlamDunk

Arcane
iB9HXXY.png

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Anyone try playing this game with savegame scumming? It is insane fun! I liked it at first but refused to grind the number of hours this game requires to see more than the first few levels. But if you get the save mod (or do it yourself) it's a whole other game. I got so far that I can destroy entire rooms full of enemies with one click and the explosion even travels to other rooms. And none of it touches me at all. Got to see some cool shit, it got me really hooked on this game. I think if you struggle with the omg that's cheating! idea, then you can just see it as practice. It gives you practice modes which are similar, but not as fun because you get random shit. I built this guy like an RPG character and he is awesome! It's a really fun game, I probably wouldn't have seen most of what it can do if it wasn't for the saves. Having to do it all with 1 life was too harsh and asptastic.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I struggle wih hours I need to pour in, and feeling that I do not progress as death is always near the beginnng, yeah. Good idea.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Usually cheating ruins games for me instantly but this game is the opposite. I'm surprised they haven't put it in the game as an option because even with saves it's still really hard. First few levels I got some good perks and gear and then I save. The sci fi base level I could explore thoroughly and just restart if I died. I'm on about the 7th level now and I got immunity to lightning, explosions, I can tweak the wands anywhere, etc. It's awesome. I've been trying to make the perfect wand and eventually it did something I wasn't expecting and blew up the entire room. I figured out why and now I can shoot this thing that spreads lightning through the whole screen and a few screens away. I then explore with most stuff already dead. All the trash dies instantly, and the bosses I still get to fight. But when I tweaked the wand to do more than just lightning it now kills bosses pretty fast too.

But even that's not making it easy.. The game does bullshit things like teleporting you randomly into some lava where you die instantly. Or you get stuck on a single pixel or something. The levels I'm on now, a lot of the foreground which you can stand on, and background which you can't... looks identical. So it's really hard, I've reloaded the level I'm on several times, although I'm trying to explore it all rather than hurry through. It's like a totally different game with saves!

p.s. The game is full of red herrings too. Like I must have spent several hours playing with an invisibility build that was so exciting to slip in and out of battles. But it is so restrictive and difficult like that. Now I can make wands that blow up the whole world, it's a lot easier than sneaking about.

toroid

Arcane
I only ever savescummed during one game when I was studying fungal shift behavior, and I've never used any mods. As long as you resist greed and continue to learn from your experiences the game only becomes more accessible and exploitable. This might be the most replayable game ever; I've killed every boss at least once, unlocked nearly every spell and created a sun both above and below. I've played over 630 hours and I continue to learn new interactions and patterns, and there are still many secrets to find and quests left for me to complete. Still haven't found a heart mimic. I tend to lose interest in games as soon as I feel like I have learned all of the mechanics, regardless of story and gameplay progression, but Noita has the complexity and depth to hold my interest and appreciation. Best game ever? Maybe.

Also, the community surrounding Noita is full of great people. Letaali, DunkOrSlam, Aliasbot, LetsSufferTogether, bammalam, Soler, Dudeguy_Broman, J_Shiba, smickles, xytio and darrenthewizard are all friendly human beings who deserve mention.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Bought it yesterday on GOG's bargain bin sale
Had tried the game before during it's first Early Acess version - since then I kept my eye on it
Yeah it was a good buy
Game seems pretty packed - got to the 3rd underground level (ice cave) and even discovered a pyramid
It's also very enganging, despite being so unforgiving

Hey is there any way to restore life, asides from reaching the Holy Mountain?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Honestly I am surprised there's so little discussion + negative opinion about this game here

It really seems the kind of autistic yet fun experience that one would expect to be up a Codexer's alley

Honestly I am surprised there's so little discussion + negative opinion about this game here

It really seems the kind of autistic yet fun experience that one would expect to be up a Codexer's alley
Well speaking as someone who bought it at launch, played for 1.5 hours and then uninstalled I can say it just wasn't what I was expecting from the promo materials. My impression of the game from the promos was that it was very much a "novelty" experience around the gimmick of each pixel being physically simulated, but it turns out it's actually a pretty complex and intentionally systemically obfuscated game. There's nothing wrong with that, and, again, I plan to come back to it as it does seem like a pretty cool game, but my suspicion is they messed up in their marketing and essentially sold it to the wrong audience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom