Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

racofer

Thread Incliner
So instead of fixing organizational problems which lead to disastrous launch of CP2077, they said "fuck it, le'ts call it Agile".
That's literally them fixing the organizational problems which lead to the disastrous launch of CP2077 tho.

The switchup from a single centralized moloch to several decentralized dev groups seems p. fundamental.

And then a couple of years from now CDPR will be clueless as to why pedestrian AI is not working correctly on The Witcher 2077 during police chases when police horses collide with the player car.

Decentralization may work for some business applications in software development, but a game has to have a single vision and coordination. Cyberrekt failed because the few guys in charge had no clue what they were doing from the start, so it was not an organizational problem but a management one.

Gargaune

Magister
Wow really?
Yeah, really, I've skimmed the Reddit thread for 1.2 and it's a regularly recurring complaint. PopamoleStation users are claiming improvements as well as a few PC players, but many more of the latter are accusing serious downgrades. As far as I could tell, PC performance has taken a hit in many cases, but especially with raytracing. You've got Pegultagol's post here as well:
I am using a 1920x and a 3080. It is pretty terribly optimized system, so I'm probably at the worst case scenario for such test.

Every graphics option enabled (mostly at high settings) at 1440p except reduced motion blur and chromatic aberration. All RTX effects were on, with lighting being Ultra. DLSS was set on Auto.

Driving around Corpo Plaza and I read the drops to 33-37 fps at high speed, usually hovering around 40 idle. Before patch was usually at around 43-48 fps.

I think DLSS is broken. Or there is something wrong with my saved games. Absolutely no difference in FPS between no DLSS and Ultra Performance.

I'm holding off on updating until the weekend, when I'd have time to roll back if need be. Still, the only solution is for CDPR to fix this crap, since you'll need to keep up to date if you want those free DLCs.

For some reason they didn't understand what made Witcher so beloved - the unique, fresh take on fantasy.

You'd think for their next game they'd go with a unique, fresh take on science-fiction. But bafflingly they chose 1980s cyberpunk. A setting that's been done to death over the decades, the exact opposite of unique and fresh. That was their first mistake.
I don't think that's a problem. And it's not that I'm head over heels with their chosen aesthetic, I'd have preferred more Kowloon Walled City and less GitS Fukuoka, but I think it's both accomplished and compelling. Besides, how many other AAA games have done that 1980s cyberpunk look in the last ten years?

PanteraNera

Arcane

Pretty good review, I as one that did like for Witcher 1&3 for what it is (immersive action games, with RPG elements and choices and consequences) thought I would love Cyberpunkt 2077, especially as I am really not into fantasy and the world of Cyberpunk is right up my alley.

So far I have played Cyberpunk 2077 on release for half an hour, while it did run on my rig, with decent enough graphics (still other games looking a lot better and performing better than this) the bugs were just, to much for me. First scene in the bar missing legs on a woman, outside the bar a guy using a cellphone that duplicates and floats in the air, Jackie going through a closed elevator door and other stuff.

That is the beauty of old games, you envisioned what those pixels represent, Cyberpunk is so detailed that everything that is off throws you (or at least me) out of the game.
Maybe I give it another try with 1.2 but I guess I wait another year ...

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think the part that is strictly "software development" is just one step in the overall project that's the videogame's development. As far as I know it's programmers who develop the technology and tools for the technically semi-competent designers to produce game content with.

It's one thing applying agile methodology to the development of the tools, and another applying it to the production of game content. IMO designing the game world (areas, levels, whatever) will yield better results the more holistically you approach it. Even if you take it apart down to acts/chapters, you still need an overall vision to which to subject the individual parts.

Anyway, I'm curious how agile development will apply to game development, without producing delights such as "we cut this quest in half and rewrote the script" or "we retconned part of the story towards the end because it turned out we don't have budget for the final cutscenes that we wanted to go with initially".

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Anyway, I'm curious how agile development will apply to game development, without producing delights such as "we cut this quest in half and rewrote the script" or "we retconned part of the story towards the end because it turned out we don't have budget for the final cutscenes that we wanted to go with initially".
Look at Rdr 2 they made a whole detailed island that you visit only once for 1h pop a mole action corridor.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Besides, how many other AAA games have done that 1980s cyberpunk look in the last ten years?

1980s cyberpunk isn't just about 1980s "look". It's neon lights, rainy nights, leather jackets, mirror shades and evil corporations. And that's been DONE. TO. DEATH. since Gibson's Neuromancer, in literature, TV, movies and gaymz.

There was never going to be anything new, fresh or surprising about CP2077's setting, it's beyond tired cliche by this point.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Look at Rdr 2 they made a whole detailed island that you visit only once for 1h pop a mole action corridor.
Yeah, such great game design.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Normies love it.

https://venturebeat.com/2020/02/06/red-dead-redemption-2-surpasses-29-million-copies-sold/

Personally found the game tedious and the gunplay which is used in almost every mission was trash and that whole island section near the ending could be cut entirely from the game and nothing would be lost but since some team spent probably a year making that island it has to be in the game :lol:

Here is my review I posted on steam.

Incredibly disappointing
Let's start with the core of any game, the gunplay. The guns and their mechanics are almost from 2001. It's copy pasted from GTAV which was copied from Max Payne 3. And it didn't even keep it at that. It just got worse. I felt no fun at all shooting. All guns are the same almost.
Secondly the mission design. There is none. Half the game is riding your horse. Then a cutscene. After the cutscene you'll find a cover, get behind it. Use your slow motion thing to get 4 heat shots. repeat until the next cutscene. There's no design at all. Some missions you have to stand in an exact place and do an exact thing. You can't do anything other than the game tells you to do. It's like you're just watching the game and occasionally press E or some other button.
Then there's the world. It looks amazing on the outside. But once you start digging in it you discover it's all empty. All the towns are the same to the point I don't even know their names. Except for one city that looks different but by the time I got there I didn't bother explore it cause I was so disappointed by the game so far. It's all just empty areas and animals to hunt which you don't need to hunt cause it's useless and boring. I found an NPC with a cool small quest then after an hour I found the same NPC with the same quest then discovered it's all copy pasted around the world.
The game has cool systems but it ruins it somehow. I liked the honor system until I discovered it's of no consequence and the main mission will just change it for me.
And now for the story, anyone who praised the story just didn't complete it. The story is great until chapter 5 then it take a dip in quality that I can compare to GoT S8. And it never recovers. After that I stopped caring about the story, the characters, everything. And wasn't looking forward to any of the missions because I know I will be just pressing the buttons the developers want me to press till it's over. I had to complete the game because I complete any game I play. But honestly it was more annoying than fun.
The graphics of the game are cool but actually playing it isn't fun at all. After 2 cutscenes I just stopped caring.

Last edited:

Wesp5

Arcane
1980s cyberpunk isn't just about 1980s "look". It's neon lights, rainy nights, leather jackets, mirror shades and evil corporations. And that's been DONE. TO. DEATH. since Gibson's Neuromancer, in literature, TV, movies and gaymz.

Really? Please cite some blockbuster and AAA games then. I can only remember the Bladerunner movies and the Deus Ex games! And both went downhill with recent iterations...

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Really? Please cite some blockbuster and AAA games then. I can only remember the Bladerunner movies and the Deus Ex games! And both went downhill with recent iterations...
Hey there was cool Blade runner adventure game in the 90s and new deus exes went into some weird neo renaissance style and Aug lifes matter that has nothing to do with 80s cyberpunk.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Really? Please cite some blockbuster and AAA games then

Narrowing goalposts much?

I was talking about cyberpunk being done to death in books, movies and games since Neuromancer if memory serves. Nothing about blockbuster or AAA.

Category: Cyberpunk novels
Category: Cyberpunk video games
Category: Cyberpunk movies

Gargaune

Magister

There was never going to be anything new, fresh or surprising about CP2077's setting, it's beyond tired cliche by this point.
I wasn't talking about the 1980s look, but the aesthetics of the "1980s cyberpunk" you mentioned. And when it comes to videogames in particular, I can't think of many - or indeed any that I've played - AAA titles in the past decade to do it. Sure, you can point disparate elements here and there, but not the full stylistic package.

If you're tired of it, that's fine, but I think it's other genres that are responsible. Even the DX prequels had a very different, proprietary approach to cyberpunk aesthetics.

Narrowing goalposts much?

I was talking about cyberpunk being done to death in books, movies and games since Neuromancer if memory serves. Nothing about blockbuster or AAA.
No, he's not. I specifically said "AAA games" when I replied to you. It's gotten plenty of mileage in other mediums, but that doesn't mean I don't care to experience it in a mainstream videogame.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkg.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

source.gif

Tihskael

Learned
Normies love it.

https://venturebeat.com/2020/02/06/red-dead-redemption-2-surpasses-29-million-copies-sold/

Personally found the game tedious and the gunplay which is used in almost every mission was trash and that whole island section near the ending could be cut entirely from the game and nothing would be lost but since some team spent probably a year making that island it has to be in the game :lol:

Here is my review I posted on steam.

Incredibly disappointing
Let's start with the core of any game, the gunplay. The guns and their mechanics are almost from 2001. It's copy pasted from GTAV which was copied from Max Payne 3. And it didn't even keep it at that. It just got worse. I felt no fun at all shooting. All guns are the same almost.
Secondly the mission design. There is none. Half the game is riding your horse. Then a cutscene. After the cutscene you'll find a cover, get behind it. Use your slow motion thing to get 4 heat shots. repeat until the next cutscene. There's no design at all. Some missions you have to stand in an exact place and do an exact thing. You can't do anything other than the game tells you to do. It's like you're just watching the game and occasionally press E or some other button.
Then there's the world. It looks amazing on the outside. But once you start digging in it you discover it's all empty. All the towns are the same to the point I don't even know their names. Except for one city that looks different but by the time I got there I didn't bother explore it cause I was so disappointed by the game so far. It's all just empty areas and animals to hunt which you don't need to hunt cause it's useless and boring. I found an NPC with a cool small quest then after an hour I found the same NPC with the same quest then discovered it's all copy pasted around the world.
The game has cool systems but it ruins it somehow. I liked the honor system until I discovered it's of no consequence and the main mission will just change it for me.
And now for the story, anyone who praised the story just didn't complete it. The story is great until chapter 5 then it take a dip in quality that I can compare to GoT S8. And it never recovers. After that I stopped caring about the story, the characters, everything. And wasn't looking forward to any of the missions because I know I will be just pressing the buttons the developers want me to press till it's over. I had to complete the game because I complete any game I play. But honestly it was more annoying than fun.
The graphics of the game are cool but actually playing it isn't fun at all. After 2 cutscenes I just stopped caring.
Rockstar games have always been about the spectacle. Bully was quite fun. RDR2 does characters quite well. Dutch, Hosea, John, Sadie Adler, Arthur are very well written. They might not be something you haven't seen before but they don't lack any soul and are elevated by the voice actors. The game should have rolled the credits 5-7 hours earlier, but the world is so gorgeous and the music is so beautiful, you keep on playing. If you think what you do is of much consequence, you picked the wrong game. You do get different endings based on the honor system though and the so called good ending is permanently etched in my mind. Singing Ring Dang Doo with your fellow camp members is one of the best moments I have had with a video game in recent memory.

Semiurge

Cipher
What, CP77 doesn't support kb numpad?! What the actual fuck in 2021. Doesn't anyone use a full kb anymore?

You can check the descriptions in wikipedia, but in short, waterfall means pre-planned features, budget and time, agile means planning on the fly, coding features and content as requirements are being defined, then adapting if necesseary and only roughly fixed end date for development. It's what they more often call "game as a service". You don't know in advance when support will end, how much content there will be, even where the story might go after the main campaign is over.

Personal opinion: serious software development (and a huge feature-rich RPG is very serious softwate) is not made in agile.

It's all because of consoles and smartphones, hardware platforms as shitty as the software and produced on the cheap. when PC was king and unavailable to minimum wage peasants this kind of shit would've been inexcusable.

I'm not saying "waterfall is key to quality games" but this switch is just one aspect of many hints that CDPR is going to produce lower and lower quality RPGs.

They just announced their "divorce" from RPGs. It's just "genre-fluid games" now.

Wow really?

Perhaps a downgrade for PC was Sony's condition for CP77's return to their store.

CD Projekt has cancelled its standalone AAA Cyberpunk multiplayer game

:yeah:

COMPANY IS INSTEAD “FOCUSING ON BRINGING ONLINE INTO ALL OF OUR FRANCHISES ONE DAY”

:despair:

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Messed about with 1.2 on a fresh start yesterday. At this stage it's disaster tourism. There's obviously been loads of work put in to try and nail things. An incredible amount of undocumented cosmetic changes/improvements in there too - random NPCs being more persistent and much more appropriately placed with fewer 'twins' is a generally good thing, for instance. At the same time, and while it's true a lot of the current meme content seems attributable to glitchy old saves and/or mods, many of the fixes are currently just underlining what still isn't 'fixed'. Cars driving into and through solid objects while turning a corner, sending crowds into perpetual panic. Weird, and new, glitches to NPC interactions as if they've cut out parts of the animations. Really obvious further downgrades to LOD - like 10 yards of front of you and move side to side obvious. Even some of the persistent UI lock-ups are still present - not being able to fire while aiming a particular favorite. Still can die just walking down some steps.

Genuine question I do have is how much of a limiting factor is hardware to this? By the time an 'Enhanced Edition' comes out, and everyone has finally been able to upgrade to RTX 7000 whatever, is that going to mitigate at least some of the problems and lead to rosier retrospectives?

Wesp5

Arcane
Even some of the persistent UI lock-ups are still present - not being able to fire while aiming a particular favorite.

Yeah, I'm pretty annoyed that F is still hard-locked and that there still are no aim-toggle and holster weapon keys. You can fix the first one manually in the cfg file, get a tool for the second, but I have yet to fix the third one...

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Yeah, I'm pretty annoyed that F is still hard-locked and that there still are no aim-toggle and holster weapon keys. You can fix the first one manually in the cfg file, get a tool for the second, but I have yet to fix the third one...

A specific key to holster would have been nice. As would a bit more (some?) reactivity to wandering around the streets with a heavy machine gun.

AwesomeButton

Patron
LOD mods will be a must, but given how it was with witcher 3, I doubt it will be easy if it's at all possible to make them.

typical user

Arbiter

This is probably old news but I liked how this guy didn't need 2 hours essay with monotone voice to sum up everything wrong with this game regardless of patch 1.0, 1.06, 1.2 or 2.077.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This is probably old news but I liked how this guy didn't need 2 hours essay with monotone voice to sum up everything wrong with this game regardless of patch 1.0, 1.06, 1.2 or 2.077.

Yea is p. gud.

Same deal with Andromeda back in the day. Too much "muh bugs", not enough "core game is fucking shit". Not that CP is as bad as Andromeda, that's not technically possible, but it's the same deal. The stuff about retarded itemization and CP being barely an RPG hurts the most.

Terenty

Liturgist
I dont get why ppl still cling on to this pile of shit and can't move on.

I could understand if it was an ambitious project held back by the bugs and glitches, but the game is thoroughly mediocre in everything. It's not even worth salvaging(for gamers i mean, not for the company) and agonizing about

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom