Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline RPGs that you regret finishing

Nevermore

Novice
Dragon Age: Origins. The second half of the game bored me to death and sucked out my curiosity towards the sequels.

U-8D8

Savant
I didn't try to but I'm guessing you can't even kill those three jedi masters when you meet them, because they're needed for the scene where Kreia saves you.
I'm about seventy percent sure that you can initiate combat when you meet all three of them at the enclave but I can't say for certain. You can kill any of them in the Darkside paths on planets or even just one of them. And if you do the latter the remaining masters will still show up but say they know what you did and attack you. Game then defaults to Kriea's dark side dialogue after they're dead. That's why I'm willing to be you can do the same when you meet the three of them, because the game already has a contingency for killing the Masters in the Enclave.

Generally agree with the ending though. The stock answer would be to install the TSLRCM mod if you haven't already, but if you have a problem with the game forcing you into controlling just your party too much I think that would only exacerbate the problem. I didn't have a problem with that in the base game and even I got sick of it with the mod installed.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Am I the only fucking person here who actually played the game? You get to kill the guy who fucked Kelly Hu and have her all to yourself about 3/4 of the way into it, then you kill Sion, then you defeat Kreia. And she doesn't "save" you unless you mean in some very abstract way.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
Am I the only fucking person here who actually played the game? You get to kill the guy who fucked Kelly Hu and have her all to yourself about 3/4 of the way into it, then you kill Sion, then you defeat Kreia. And she doesn't "save" you unless you mean in some very abstract way.
Oh I just imagined that part, and it appeared on youtube through my imagination

gMGAUKz.jpg

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Oh yeah, I read that wrong. You're right. They use the term "dark jedi" so much that I thought you were talking about the Sith.

wahrk

Learned
Has it ever occurred to you fucking retards that maybe a lot of this stuff was meant to be fleshed out if the game hadn't been rushed out in 18 months?
Explaining why something is shit doesn't excuse it being shit. They should've considered cutting down the 7 hour tutorial if they wanted to put more effort into later parts of the game.

They didn’t just run out of time, LucasArts pushed their release date up six months in the middle of development. It was even less than 18 months, development started in October 2003 and the game shipped December 2004.

Also, I know Peragus is slow but it really takes maybe an hour at the most. Its not even the tutorial anyways.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
And here I was lamenting that I didn't finish that many games compared to other codexers.

But all I've finished, I felt were worth it.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Pillows of Eternity. And I've beaten it multiple times.
Starts off good, WM 1+2 are excellent. Second half of the game is all crap, final part is absolute garbage and includes a fedora-wearing reddit atheist.
lul I quit after WM 1+2 and the first part, because aside from some aspects the game was already too shitty for me.

I was surprised though how much it kept my interest in some aspects, despite much shitty overexposition and very uneven writing.

Dragon Age: Origins. The second half of the game bored me to death and sucked out my curiosity towards the sequels.
Good thing my game crashed half-way through the Derp Roads and I couldn't be arsed to redo it.

Red Hexapus

Learned
I just remembered I also regret finishing this thing. The premise of a hounted house, modern weapons and magic based on the periodic table of element is interesting, but the execution is lacking to say the least and game is simply tedious.

Piotrovitz

Savant
I just remembered I also regret finishing this thing. The premise of a hounted house, modern weapons and magic based on the periodic table of element is interesting, but the execution is lacking to say the least and game is simply tedious.
Never heard of this one and from this vid you posted it looks fucking awesome and original - is it really that bad?

Piotrovitz

Savant
As for the main question - I don't regret finishing anything.

If the game sucks and is generally unfun (for me), I just dump the playthrough and maybe after some time I give it another chance. If it doesn't click on the second go, I usually dump it completely and never go back (looking at you AoD).

Had this thing with books long time ago, when I had to finish the ones I already started, no matter how shitty they were.
Fortunately got cured of this - life is too short to waste time on things that are not worth it.

Red Hexapus

Learned
Never heard of this one and from this vid you posted it looks fucking awesome and original - is it really that bad?
I've played it a long time ago, but I remember that when you finish the game it asks you if you want to go back to the mansion and play again. My answer was "No thanks". I've found the game by accident and picked it up because the premise seemed interesting and unique, but the game is really tedious from what I recall with huge labyrinth-like levels and constant fights. Not something I would recommend, unless you can deal with the tedium.

Belboz

Literate
I can think of a bunch, but on the top of that list there are Pillars of Eternity and Torment: Tides of Numenera.
As heralds of the rebirth of the genre they are pretty bad. They are full of prosopopoeia, too long windend and, most of all, uninteresting.

I don't want to list the things they did wrong but – essentially – Torment is just a bad copy of its predecessor and Pillars tells an interesting story (the Saint's War), but it is all in retrospective. You can't take part in it, you are just an uninteresting Observer with the menial task to follow your enemy for the entire game. Imagine if the game, instead, was about the War: having to build the Bomb, to fight on the Bridge. But, alas, that is not our task. Epic fail.

MrMarbles

Cipher
but more about generally good games that have long frustrating sequences close to the end that don't pay off.

Kingmaker came very close to fucking everything up to me at the end of it. I ended up giving it a pass because I had more hours in the game where I was genuinely enjoying it than the time when I wanted it to end and was finishing it out of some retarded obligation to myself.

Luckily the endless dungeon DLC they added in means I never have to go beyond the first few chapters again when I want to theorycraft/kill shit.

Yeah, don't think I've ever been so angry with developers for mistreating their players with their ending chapters, that shit was just disrespectful.

So for the second playthrough I went with a 3-man party (to avoid some of the bullshit of HatEoT) and to have enough xp to just run/ sneak past most of the encounters. Highly recommended. Focusing on the early game and finessing the late game made PF:KM a solid experience.

Piotrovitz

Savant
More interesting question is why are people finishing games that they don't like - not in the retrospective, but in cases when they realize midway through that the game sucks.

Because of the OCD?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
More interesting question is why are people finishing games that they don't like - not in the retrospective, but in cases when they realize midway through that the game sucks.

Because of the OCD?

It's either sunken cost fallacy, hope that it gets better (rarely does) or just pure, manly ENDURANCE.

Belboz

Literate

Because of the OCD?
Because, usually, I've paid for them, the fool that I am. But mostly to bash them afterwards, having thoroughly played.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom