Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Total War: Rome about to get Remastered

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Tags: Creative Assembly; Total War; Total War: Rome Remastered

Just when you thought the Total War series would only spawn more Warhammer DLC nowadays, Creative Assembly decided to make the radical move of remastering their classic Rome: Total War (now "Total War: Rome" because reasons) for modern systems. On the game's steam page, we can watch a non-informative trailer and read the following information about what to expect:

Total War: ROME REMASTERED lets you relive the legacy that defined the award-winning strategy game series. Remastered to 4K with multiple improvements to visuals as well as refinements to gameplay, it’s time to revisit a true classic. Not everyone gets a second chance to conquer the Roman Empire. ROME REMASTERED includes the Alexander and Barbarian Invasion DLCs, as well as a copy of the original ROME: Total War Collection, if you don’t already own it.

Improved Visuals
ROME REMASTERED brings the classic Rome visuals up to date, with 4K optimization, ultra-widescreen and native UHD resolution support. This visual upgrade extends across a multitude of features, including re-modeled buildings and objects, and environment effects like dust clouds and heat haze. The refreshed campaign maps also boasts new high-resolution models, and units have been remodelled and retextured to look their very best on the battlefield.

Modern Features
ROME REMASTERED includes a host of modern features and improvements to existing mechanics. The in-game camera has been enhanced, including map rotation and wider zoom level in Campaign mode. Heat maps and new icon overlays have been added for gameplay mechanics such as diplomacy and security. In Battle, the new tactical map, unit displays and range markers give you greater command over Rome’s battlefields.

Enhanced Game Mechanics
Players can now expand their armies and experience 16 additional factions that were previously locked, giving a grand total of 38 playable factions. In a first for Total War, you can now take your favourite faction to battle against friends in cross-platform multiplayer between Windows, macOS and Linux. A whole new agent type has also been added to the fray; Merchants can be sent all over the world to create trade links, access resources and buy out rivals to increase your income and assert your faction’s economic power.​

There's also a detailed FAQ section on the series' dedicated website, which you might find informative. Or instead you can just browse the pretty pix of dudes rushing at each other with spears, now in 4K.

(This news brought to you as part of the resurrected heritage of Tacticular Cancer)

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I'd rather see classics getting remastered than brand new modern trash.

Although Shogun and Medieval were probably better.

Last edited:

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Gotta admit, that trailer was pretty good! I like the fact that it's FMV. Got me excited even though I didn't even play the original.

Papa Môlé

Arcane
Wait, you are remastering a game that already has a more modern sequel? Why not just remaster that? Wtf is going on? Where am I? What year is it?

catfood

AGAIN
Wait, you are remastering a game that already has a more modern sequel? Why not just remaster that? Wtf is going on? Where am I? What year is it?
Yeah but the more modern sequel is Total Trash. They're better off re-releasing the better old games over and over, because modern CA can't be trusted with releasing anything good anymore.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
remastered

Oh no! The only time these ever turn out good (and even then not always) is when the original is unplayable on modern PCs.

The original Rome is pretty horrible on modern PCs these days. Frame rate issues are very common in particular.

There is a lot of modding potential in this remaster. If they make Rome 64 bit, then most of the huge mods that are extremely unstable due to hitting the memory limit are going to be much more playable.

Even better, if they give Medieval 2 the same treatment then mods like Third Age Total War, Stainless Steel and Broken Crescent are going to be much more stable with huge unit sizes.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
In before they:

Fuck up testudo like Rome 2 or Attila.

Break the map editing mods so Rome 1 TC mods aren't a thing anymore.

There is a lot of modding potential in this remaster. If they make Rome 64 bit, then most of the huge mods that are extremely unstable due to hitting the memory limit are going to be much more playable.

That's not something you can count on with ancient codebases.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

That's not something you can count on with ancient codebases.

True, but I'm hoping they do. A 64 bit version has been one of the biggest wishes of the Rome and Medieval 2 modding community for years, so it would be really awesome if they did.

They've also specifically called out a 64 bit OS on the requirements. So it seems likely.

Danikas

Arcane
True, but I'm hoping they do. A 64 bit version has been one of the biggest wishes of the Rome and Medieval 2 modding community for years, so it would be really awesome if they did.

They've also specifically called out a 64 bit OS on the requirements. So it seems likely.

The UI and Map look a little too 'modern' for my taste, and I believe this is the same dev who did the mobile ports, yes?

GreyViper

Prophet
From what I understand yes, the game seems better optimized for modern rigs. As someone mentioned older version has an issue with new machines but is still there if someone wants to play it. I like it since it plays differently than the travesty that was Rome 2.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I doubt the great mods for R:TW like Europa Barbarorun or Roma Surrectum will work with the remastered version. They changed too much, for example how map is drawn, or units are displayed, while keeping all the shitty features untouched, like dumb AI.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I like some features (number of factions increased to 38 from the original 20, soldiers in one unit will no longer look like clones). However, mods will propably have to be remade which will take time. And the original content is shit compared to the splendor of fan made total conversions like Europa Barbarorum, Roma Surrectum, Rome: Total Realism, Invasio Barbarorum.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I like some features (number of factions increased to 38 from the original 20, soldiers in one unit will no longer look like clones). However, mods will propably have to be remade which will take time. And the original content is shit compared to the splendor of fan made total conversions like Europa Barbarorum, Roma Surrectum, Rome: Total Realism, Invasio Barbarorum.

Remasters are just about the laziest way to bring back old games for a quick-cash grabs.

If you're not going to a commit to a complete remake, I'll just play the old game with mods.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom