Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters
Is there a means of boosting elemental protection beyond Day of Protection, Protection from Elements, shrines and permanent boosts in WoX? I just did the Volcano cave, but I couldn’t reach the demon/devil spawn points without party wiping from the lava, even with teleport manipulation. I don’t remember having that much trouble doing so on previous playthroughs, but perhaps I just did it after some Darkside content. In other news my party is now level 19 and I’ve completed everything Cloudside except the Northern Sphinx, half of the dragon cave, and Castle Xeen (and all the locations tied to Darkside of course). I think I’m just going to do Castle Xeen right now since I don’t have any chars that meet the stat requirements for the loot in the other locations.
Darkside here we come!

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
In MM6 I had the option to change to MM6 classes (plus Thief for some reason) in all the starting trainer houses for the first day or so(?) then it disappeared. Any character could change to any of the classes. I didn't level up but maybe it vanishes once they are past a certain XP threshold.

One thing that annoys me is enforcing MM8 skill limits, so you need a dragon for ID item grandmaster and Minotaur (?) for merchant GM.

Efe

Erudite
for me change class dialogue only appeared when I had a peasnt in party.
if you dont like skill limits go to extras folder and use other the one inside 1filemod folder.
that lets you combine human (1) + sorc (3) for gm item id

or you could edit class skills table (gamefolder\data\tables) yourself. grayface has txtedit which saves your eyes from bleeding on notepad

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
In MM6 I had the option to change to MM6 classes (plus Thief for some reason) in all the starting trainer houses for the first day or so(?) then it disappeared. Any character could change to any of the classes. I didn't level up but maybe it vanishes once they are past a certain XP threshold.

One thing that annoys me is enforcing MM8 skill limits, so you need a dragon for ID item grandmaster and Minotaur (?) for merchant GM.
Yeah i wasted 30 points on wizard thinking he would get gm in IDItems. Was really pissed off. The class system is really broken,they should clear up and generally remake it. Make a clear differentiation between class and race. Make the races affect your attributes and make classes affect your skill mastery. Now it is total mess.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Yeah i wasted 30 points on wizard thinking he would get gm in IDItems. Was really pissed off.

The glorious Necromancer master race scoffs at filthy Wizard peasants.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Yeah i wasted 30 points on wizard thinking he would get gm in IDItems. Was really pissed off.

Ohh the amount of liches i have killed,you just another one that needs to be made in to dust.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Ohh the amount of liches i have killed,you just another one that needs to be made in to dust.

FABRICATE DIEM, PVNC!

In all seriousness though, I'm getting GM Id Item on my necros and NOT getting GM Alchemy for some reason.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

FABRICATE DIEM, PVNC!

In all seriousness though, I'm getting GM Id Item on my necros and NOT getting GM Alchemy for some reason.
MM8 skill system is shit,that is why. Also alchemy i useless.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Oh but I most definitely DO remember getting GM Alchemy on my necros in vanilla MM8. Some weird shit goes on.

Also, if anything, it's MM7 skill system, as that was the first game to introduce such restrictions.
Those restrictions were logical in mm7,the mm8 was rushed and they ere half assed. Also it uses some unholy mishmash of all three systems. As i said few times by now,they should clean it up and go with single clear system,not this shit.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
its fine... although black potions being accessible through shops and treasures greatly lowers its appeal. If there was black vampiric potion it would be different story

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Storyfag Although, right now I am not seeing any changes for necros in alchemy on tracker, which is weird.

Edit: Wait wtf, looking on tables right now and spy can't gm alchemy either. The only who can gm alchemy - druid. Perhaps difference between main and community branches.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
dark elves
Mine gets only master. As i said it is a mess. It matter of which game is your starting one,then which portrait you use and then which class you have. My mage doesn't even have gm dark and light magic. Clearly the worst part of the game is the retarded skill system they had made.

Efe

Erudite
afaik shit dont change depending on where you start.
there is only 1 class/race skills table

you get gm light/dark when you become lich/archmage or priest of dark/light

Lhynn

Arcane
MMX is what happens when the blobber genre continues to pretend wizardry 8 never happened because it would require them to actually put effort into their games instead of releasing the same game over and over
No. MMX is what happens when big publisher decides to throw fans a bone and gives developers like 20 bucks to make a game.
It was a genuinely good effort, but it could never be as complex or big as wiz 8.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Someone already captured prince of thieves in mm6? I am clicking on bed and he not showing up at all. Or quest in merge different now?

Edit: Nevermind, I was just stupid. Forgot to take quest first.

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Someone already captured prince of thieves in mm6? I am clicking on bed and he not showing up at all. Or quest in merge different now?

Edit: Nevermind, I was just stupid. Forgot to take quest first.
Yup one of the few quests you cannot find the “item” before taking the quest
I usually would find items in Dungeons and later find the quest giver which was pretty cool

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom