Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkham Horror: Mother's Embrace - investigation game with turn-based combat

Lhynn

Arcane
So played all the way to the third mission
Copypasting my thoughts from someone that asked:

I have no clue why it has the rpg tag.
The game keeps forcing failure on the player with no real input. Even if you pick every right choice you will still lose enough sanity to develop a trauma by the end of the mission.
Im not too thrilled about the story either. Its not scary. And the investigation part is just too barebones, makes the investigation on witcher 3 look hard by comparison
Combat is simplistic, but enjoyable, they could have done a lot more with it. Even if having it so often feels a bit out of place for the setting.
Characters are shallow, but i do enjoy that every one has their own personality. Theres commentary from a dead woman thats 4th wall breaking at times (That only the player knows about), and most of the time just trying to bring humor into it. Which... why? Both things just further take you out of the story, any chance at creating a creepy atmosphere is lost when seconds later a joke from her falls completely flat.
Other than that the aesthetics are fine and the music is fine too.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
bruh.png

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
The game keeps forcing failure on the player with no real input. Even if you pick every right choice you will still lose enough sanity to develop a trauma by the end of the mission.
Im not too thrilled about the story either. Its not scary. And the investigation part is just too barebones, makes the investigation on witcher 3 look hard by comparison

Sounds exactly like the board game then. I bought that shit, played it once with the missus, and immediately sold it off. Worst board gaming experience I've ever had, bar none - which is weird because I've greatly enjoyed other arkham files games.

The worst part was that the final boss on the opening scenario is a puzzle the likes of which you'd see on mobile shovelware.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom