Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help, lawyers are after me and my game!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, some of you might know that my very first adventure game is called

See, 365 days of the year we're telling each other lies and making up stories.

This is merely an exercise for autism. Present a "problem", get people on the internet to post "solutions".

Did you sniff glue as a kid? By the way, I wouldn't even recommend your garbage games to my enemies :)
tenor.gif

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
A Long Road Home: I Can't Believe It's Not A Videogame Adaptation of National Geographic's Documentary

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
It turns out, they had a documentary called "The Long Road Home", and because the two names are almost identical, they asked me to take it down from any digital storefronts. I'm infringing their property, as they wrote. Now what the fuck do I do know?
Live by IP, die by IP.

The moral thing to do would be to release it as open source and ask for patreon bucks to support your work instead.

Generic-Giant-Spider

IS THIS A JOKE OR NOT

I NEED TO KNOW IF I SHOULD CALL OFF MY RUSSIAN SNIPER

A bored lawyer trying to justify his fees and finding an old game with a similar name is dumb enough to sound believable, I fell for it even while being fully aware of the date. Nice one. Also, ban JC for stealth shilling his game.

SunRypeSteve

Barely Literate
Your best bet... providing it is within your financial cards and as others have suggested, would be to seek professional legal advice, and to avoid online help including myself.

I'd imagine they send out "routine" c&d letters, not expecting any form of resistance, and I honestly can't imagine that they would feel as though your indie game would interfere with their marketing campaign to the extent that it would be worth a legal battle.
But... this is something that the legal council will be able to advise you on.

ASTRAL

Arcane
Call some local TV station an offer them the heartwarming story of: "The Corporation vs our local boy".
Try to get some free publicity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom