Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Codex Year of the Donut
I dont get why ppl still cling on to this pile of shit and can't move on.

I could understand if it was an ambitious project held back by the bugs and glitches, but the game is thoroughly mediocre in everything. It's not even worth salvaging(for gamers i mean, not for the company) and agonizing about
you don't think cdprojekt would do that do you? Just pay shills as part of their $200m marketing budget to defend their game on forums and social media?

Gargaune

Magister
By the time an 'Enhanced Edition' comes out, and everyone has finally been able to upgrade to RTX 7000 whatever, is that going to mitigate at least some of the problems and lead to rosier retrospectives?
Partly, I'd suspect. You're dealing with two separate limitations, performance scaling and performance "budget" for developers. Better hardware will alleviate some issues, but if features like more sophisticated AI are being held back because CDPR can't spare the CPU cycles now, I doubt an Enhanced Edition will make major changes later. The reason I'm thinking of that is because people have reported better NPC behaviours in 1.2, but also lower performance when crowds are present.

Yeah, I'm pretty annoyed that F is still hard-locked and that there still are no aim-toggle and holster weapon keys.
How weird is it that you dedicate a keybind to cycle weapons on PC instead of holster?

Rpg copedex is very important market for them for sure :lol:
Come now, if the Codex matters so much to Larian, surely it must to CDPR as well.

typical user

Arbiter

Oh I don't know, maybe because it was the biggest scam in the entire history of electronic entertainment? Maybe because this was second most expensive game in the entire history of gamedev whose elements can't compete with 20-year old games? Or maybe because the company still made a profit after it was banned from PS Store and has smaller traffic on Twitch and Steam compared to their previous game made half a decade ago? Or maybe because it was viewed by many as prodigy in the stock market? Or how it was going to be GTA and GTA Online killer?

Wesp5

Arcane

Oh I don't know, maybe because it was the biggest scam in the entire history of electronic entertainment?

Or maybe because a lot of people enjoy the game? Of course not the "hardcore" experts here, who never like a game unless it has isometric view, is turn based and has hundreds of boring pages of text to read. The city alone is the best ever in any 3D game, facical animations are the best since Bloodlines and who cares if some of the gameplay is boring. Yes, there are still some bugs, and yes, itemisation is bad, although not as stupid as in The Outer Worlds, but I'm having a lot of fun and I'm hoping that mods will fix the rest!

Gargaune

Magister
Oh I don't know, maybe because it was the biggest scam in the entire history of electronic entertainment? Maybe because this was second most expensive game in the entire history of gamedev whose elements can't compete with 20-year old games?
You're exaggerating. The game's a disappointment, to be sure, but it's hardly a top contender in that department and nowhere near a "scam". Cyberpunked doesn't belong in the same drawer as the likes of No Man's Sky, Dragon Age II or Star Citizen .JPG Tycoon, it's more like CDPR's own Invisible War.

As for "second most expensive" game in history, it may well be in the running at least by man-hours count, but that's not typically correlated with gameplay quality. Most AAA games today trail their 20 year-old forebears in terms of mechanics, costs are a reflection of A/V, not mechanical sophistication, and the way CBP looks is probably the only facet in which it lives up to its hype.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
He specifically said BIGGEST scam. Fallout 76 was scam indeed for example, but budgets differ. Although Star Citizen can rival this.
Do you pay the budget of a game tard (In case of Scam citizen tards actually pay 50k dollars and more)? Who the fuck cares if production costs 500 million or billions when the game is priced at 60$ just like any other AAA pop a mole.

uhznkiisxpj61.png

Here you can buy 3 medium trolleys in Scam citizen for the price of whole cyberbunk game get a brain.

Last edited:

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Do you pay the budget of a game tard (In case of Scam citizen tards actually pay 50k dollars and more)? Who the fuck cares if production costs 500 million or billions when the game is priced at 60$.
Not sure what this has to do with me, but technically every Polish citizen paid for this game with their taxes (even without buying it), because Polish government spent actual money from budget on this game. Around 18 millions if my memory is correct. Yes, it's maybe not much, but it's money stolen under the gun taken by government from people and spent on disaster of a game.
And yes, you can say "isn't this classify as fraud", yet I stand corrected, because it's imo unprecedented in industry before.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Not sure what this has to do with me, but technically every Polish citizen paid for this game with their taxes (even without buying it), because Polish government spent actual money from budget on this game. Around 18 millions if my memory is correct. Yes, it's maybe not much, but it's money stolen under the gun taken by government from people and spent on disaster of a game.
And yes, you can say "isn't this classify as fraud", yet I stand corrected, because it's imo unprecedented in industry before.
Yep goverment game dev grants are something totally unprecedented in gayme industry.

https://www.theverge.com/21256048/public-arts-funding-games-untitled-goose-game-mutazione

Film Victoria, which was founded by the Victorian State Government in Australia, started investing in games over 25 years ago and is one of the oldest public video games funds. Throughout that time, it has provided a crucial resource to game developers starting out: a clear, accessible path to funding. In doing this, government programs like Film Victoria have changed who gets the means to make games and opened up opportunities to more game makers from nontraditional backgrounds. This, in turn, changes the games we see made.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Yep goverment game dev grants are something totally unprecedented in gayme industry.

https://www.theverge.com/21256048/public-arts-funding-games-untitled-goose-game-mutazione

Film Victoria, which was founded by the Victorian State Government in Australia, started investing in games over 25 years ago and is one of the oldest public video games funds. Throughout that time, it has provided a crucial resource to game developers starting out: a clear, accessible path to funding. In doing this, government programs like Film Victoria have changed who gets the means to make games and opened up opportunities to more game makers from nontraditional backgrounds. This, in turn, changes the games we see made.
I was ready to take my words back, but I remembered that Poland does not have anything like "film victoria" on their soil, only EU funding organizations. Moreover, the reasoning for Polish government for a funding was "to create virtual city". Dunno, sounds like legit fraud and case of corruption.

Gargaune

Magister
Do you pay the budget of a game tard (In case of Scam citizen tards actually pay 50k dollars and more)? Who the fuck cares if production costs 500 million or billions when the game is priced at 60$.
Poland gave Obama a copy of The Witcher 2 as a gift during a state visit, and it's clear their administration regarded CDPR as a strategic economic and/or publicity national asset. Now, with regard to their investment in Cyberpunk, I understand that was under some byzantine pretext of "developing city AI simulations" or somesuch, and there's indeed an inquiry to be had there, but you're better off leaving that to the Polish authorities.

When you say "scam" in relation to a videogame, you're talking about paying customers, otherwise, if you wanna start chasing up public funds, you're gonna have to start asking why the US government gave money to vacant theatres after the 2008 crisis or why the Canadian government provides generous tax cuts for videogame development studios etc. That's all coming out of the public pocket too, and a debate on public finance and political funding circuits might be a little out of scope even for the venerable General RPG Discussion forum.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
but you're better off leaving that to the Polish authorities.
"Nothing to see here citizen, everything under control" :lol:
why the US government gave money to vacant theatres after the 2008 crisis
Good question.
the Canadian government provides generous tax cuts for videogame development studios
I always thought that it is because government trying to find as many different sources of taxes for future as possible, because otherwise Canada would even more relay on resource export/heavy industry and countries which become "addicted" to one source of taxes - become fucking poor.
debate on public finance and political funding circuits might be a little out of scope even for the venerable General RPG Discussion forum.
But you are right on this one, I think.

Anyway, we argued about size of a turd before and this is pointless. I know, my words plucked some feathers from some sensitive people around here, but let's calm down and continue with discussion.
Speaking of which, what was discussion before our "scam" argument?

Zer0wing

Cipher
The stuff about retarded itemization and CP being barely an RPG hurts the most.
You know, it's a lot bigger issue than with Witcher series. Since Witcher games are based on just books and player character is always Geraldo, weak gameplay and rpg system can be shrugged off as mere incompetence.
But Cyberpunk 2020 is an actual PnP RPG with much bigger history, lore, mechanics, tone explained previously through supplementary material. 2077 is just another supplement with bigger production budget. But who's supplementing who now when CP2077 mangles the source material beyond recognition that much with devs' "muh vision"?
Even Fallout 3 was more true to Fallout than this to CP2020 since at least stats, skills and quest design were not changed... beyond recognition that is. It was just shittier.

Last edited:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I could understand if it was an ambitious project held back by the bugs and glitches, but the game is thoroughly mediocre in everything. It's not even worth salvaging(for gamers i mean, not for the company) and agonizing about

Now they do have the tech behind 2077, I'm certain that the next game using it will be a success.

There, done with patriotic duty for today.

Self-Ejected

T.Ashpool

Self-Ejected

i can only speak for myself but if you're a cyberpunk autist like me who has been dreaming for an AAA open world cyberpunk game that's true to the genre for all his life this game is all we have

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

i can only speak for myself but if you're a cyberpunk autist like me who has been dreaming for an AAA open world cyberpunk game that's true to the genre for all his life this game is all we have

Mankind Divided is not open-world open-world and it's not flawless but it is AAA, it's well written, looks gorgeous and is 10x better as an RPG than CP.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected

Oh I don't know, maybe because it was the biggest scam in the entire history of electronic entertainment?

Or maybe because a lot of people enjoy the game? Of course not the "hardcore" experts here, who never like a game unless it has isometric view, is turn based and has hundreds of boring pages of text to read. The city alone is the best ever in any 3D game, facical animations are the best since Bloodlines and who cares if some of the gameplay is boring. Yes, there are still some bugs, and yes, itemisation is bad, although not as stupid as in The Outer Worlds, but I'm having a lot of fun and I'm hoping that mods will fix the rest!
Out of respect for your past work, I have only this to say -

When the Unofficial Wesp5 patch for CP2077 comes out, I will then be motivated to try it again. I don't know how you can like it, when it is just a fresh coat of paint on better games, but that isn't anything I care about anymore.

I simply didn't enjoy any of my time there. When I can get a better reaction out of NPCs on the street than in VtMB, CDPR will have my interest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom